PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Don Merrill

Lurker
Dec 8, 2021
Murray, NE
I recently purchased a pipe on ebay, and I have no information on the brand London Stud
I searched on a number of forums and FB groups but the brand is enigmatic for information with the exception of a site where they're for sale (the pipes for sale on one site the wood is apple, not briar).
I plan to first start a deep cleaning and refinishing a couple of Alphas over my next few days off, but I'd appreciate any information I can ahead of time on the London Stud before I get started on that.

s-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
"Who Made that Pipe" lists three options - only one London Stud (other two "London Studs".
They say Hollco, Weber and Wally Frank made them, makes sense.
Looks like one a thousand, inexpensive shop/basket pipes that were available, 1970's era would be my guess based on style.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Londoners are pretty cosmopolitan and it is my intuition that they would find a brand called London Stud extra tacky, even more so than in the U.S. So this is off on the wrong step to start. The apple wood kind of finishes it off as some kind of low-end item, for me. Maybe I'm just being snooty, but that's how it looks. It might be a good smoker anyway; applewood can work, though it is not as durable as briar.

Don Merrill

Lurker
Dec 8, 2021
Murray, NE
Londoners are pretty cosmopolitan and it is my intuition that they would find a brand called London Stud extra tacky, even more so than in the U.S. So this is off on the wrong step to start. The apple wood kind of finishes it off as some kind of low-end item, for me. Maybe I'm just being snooty, but that's how it looks. It might be a good smoker anyway; applewood can work, though it is not as durable as briar.
There are a lot of areas of London which are far less than cosmopolitan, which I'm sure have pipe shops and tobacconists, and pipe makers with an esoteric sense of humor.
Low-end is a possibility which doesn't bother me much; this pipe was part of an auction lot and as a woodworker I enjoy restoring and refinishing pipes as much as I enjoy smoking them.
I don't actually know yet that this particular one is apple wood, the only one I have found for sale online (aside from ebay) is a meerschaum-lined apple wood at Blue Room Briars London Stud Carved Apple with Meerschaum Lining Sitter with Military M – Blue Room Briars - https://www.blueroombriars.com/products/london-stud-carved-apple-with-meerschaum-lining-sitter-estate-pipe

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I believe the maker is the first cousin of the Tennessee Stud...but I may be wrong.