Interesting Editorial On Used Pipes (Pipe Lover Magazine #2)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I collect pipes that are routinely over 100 years old. So someone gave them up and sold them.

Oddly enough some of the pipes I purchased still have tobacco in them. Lol. So they were just set aside mid smoke and never revisited

Having said that, my grandfather started smoking pipes in 1934. He passed away in 1992 and only three pipes exist that were his.

He had a very common practice of smoking a pipe as if it were disposable and then unceremoniously disposing of it.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I collect pipes that are routinely over 100 years old. So someone gave them up and sold them.

Oddly enough some of the pipes I purchased still have tobacco in them. Lol. So they were just set aside mid smoke and never revisited

Having said that, my grandfather started smoking pipes in 1934. He passed away in 1992 and only three pipes exist that were his.

He had a very common practice of smoking a pipe as if it were disposable and then unceremoniously disposing of it.
I’ve seen some estate pipes sold here which used the “even has tobacco left in it!” in an effort to command a higher price. We are a strange and deprived lot down under

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
1946 was far removed from the modern era of enlightened sensibilities.

015CCFC6-15C2-4692-B40E-91AEC6502F20.jpeg

Reading those old Pipe Lover’s magazines it’s sobering to consider all the adults who read them in 1946 are dead or a century old.

In my office I still occasionally talk to people who remember where they were on Sunday December 7th, 1941.

Before too many more years, they’ll be all gone.

But that five year late forties period, after the victory over Japan ended the war in the fall of 1945 and the invasion of South Korea in the summer of 1950 began the Korean Conflict, marked the most optimism, the most materiel prosperity, and the sweetest living any people now alive can remember.

This nation is winding up the spending of more actual value in money to combat Covid 19 than America spent to fight and win World War Two.

——
ADA30111-0A13-465D-86EB-91CA85B6AE58.jpeg

The United States spent more than $4 trillion, or 36% of its GDP, fighting World War II. More than 400,000 U.S. troops were killed in the conflict to defeat Nazi Germany, Italy, and the Japanese Empire.

—-

People have not, and will never change.

Let’s hope spending over four trillion dollars buys us five golden years, again.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I am not surprised that a publication that was supported by pipe companies would have an article espousing the joys of your own pipe that was purchased new. I am also willing to conceded that the worlds sense of propriety were likely different back in the day. This magazine would have been published in a time when one would like the social status of showing that you could afford new things for yourself and family.