PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Gents,

I cleaned this old Dunhill Humidor/Pipe Rack up for a very good friend of mine. I believe he will eventually have me sell it for him. Not sure... I have perused the web, attempted to research with no results. I did not even find anything similar to this particular humidor/pipe rack. I would love to come up with a ball park date on it if possible. Perhaps the metal stamped branding at the bottom "LONDON" over "ALFRED DUNHILL" over "NEW YORK" helps? Obviously it did not help me LOL.

Best,
Humblepipe

IMG_6196.jpegIMG_6200.jpegIMG_6201.jpegIMG_6204.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6203.jpeg
    IMG_6203.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6199.jpeg
    IMG_6199.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 10

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
No clue on value but its a beautiful piece. If I had to hazard a guess I say from the 80's or 90's since Dunhill was still pro tobacco during that period and it was mostly like sold in one of their stores.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Very Nice! I’d be very interested when you price it. I have one with a flat top, green felt on the spring seal without the pipe stands. You can research the patent on the spring seal to get an idea when it was probably made after. I’d guess it was post war to the 60’s but I really don’t know.

PS the older prewar pipe furniture I’ve seen had an inlaid ivory (?) logo

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Very Nice! I’d be very interested when you price it. I have one with a flat top, green felt on the spring seal without the pipe stands. You can research the patent on the spring seal to get an idea when it was probably made after. I’d guess it was post war to the 60’s but I really don’t know.

Thanks, gents. It is certainly in great shape.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
For what it's worth, at least from the 1920s--along with its somewhat overwhelming and dizzying array of other smokers' accessories--Dunhill made quite a number of different models of "air-tight" "caddy racks," humidors, cigarette boxes, pouches and the rest. Their postwar catalogues are rather less lavish than earlier efforts, but my own guess (like daveinlax) is circa 1950s. The page below comes from the 5th Edition of About Smoke (1927).1129704417-1.jpg

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

PS the older prewar pipe furniture I’ve seen had an inlaid ivory (?) logo
I take care of two pre war ( twenties-thirties ) pipes stands, one is quite spectacular.
It's probably not ivory, but I will again study them under the magnifying glass for Schreger lines,

Reactions: Humblepipe

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Triple lovely.
If I may be so bold to ask ; how did you clean it up ?

Cleaned up: compressed air, detail/cleaning brushes, and a minor bit of Howard's Feed-N-Wax on a soft polish rag for the wood... lots of elbow grease and attention to detail. I did disassemble the spring mechanism in the upper lid and stretched the spring out a bit (it had compressed over the years and lost some 'memory'), cleaned all interior components and carefully reassembled. The aluminum "bowl' was mostly hand polished with buffing compound and a polishing rag (that took a lot of time and muscle - LOL).

Reactions: ChonkyTonks

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
For what it's worth, at least from the 1920s--along with its somewhat overwhelming and dizzying array of other smokers' accessories--Dunhill made quite a number of different models of "air-tight" "caddy racks," humidors, cigarette boxes, pouches and the rest. Their postwar catalogues are rather less lavish than earlier efforts, but my own guess (like daveinlax) is circa 1950s. The page below comes from the 5th Edition of About Smoke (1927).View attachment 175372

This is very good reference material @guylesss. Thanks for this. Grateful!

Reactions: guylesss
Dec 10, 2013
Cleaned up: compressed air, detail/cleaning brushes, and a minor bit of Howard's Feed-N-Wax on a soft polish rag for the wood... lots of elbow grease and attention to detail. I did disassemble the spring mechanism in the upper lid and stretched the spring out a bit (it had compressed over the years and lost some 'memory'), cleaned all interior components and carefully reassembled. The aluminum "bowl' was mostly hand polished with buffing compound and a polishing rag (that took a lot of time and muscle - LOL).
Hats off , awesome ! Compressed air to remove dust only , suppose not to remove dirt and no liquids involved ?
Seems a little abbrasive to me ?
We are the buffs LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Humblepipe

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Hats off , awesome ! Compressed air to remove dust only , suppose not to remove dirt and no liquids involved ?
Seems a little abbrasive to me ?
We are the buffs LOL.

A soft touch is needed for sure. I go after some areas more than others. There were a few grimy areas on this piece that were kind of gross. I personally like the patina/vintage-ness to be showcased. Mostly, I focus on removing dust and grime so that it does not obstruct the beauty of a vintage piece like this.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
It takes a lot of love and work, elbow grease sometimes too, not to overdo a restoration :)
This is imho what we all should pursue;
a thing of beauty like this humidor that does not look like a factory new one, but like a very, very well maintained
object of historical significance ( well, to some of us ). I try to achieve such when refurbishing my pipes .

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
It takes a lot of love and work, elbow grease sometimes too, not to overdo a restoration :)
This is imho what we all should pursue;
a thing of beauty like this humidor that does not look like a factory new one, but like a very, very well maintained
object of historical significance ( well, to some of us ). I try to achieve such when refurbishing my pipes .

I am so sentimental about these vintage pieces. You are right, they deserve a lot of respect and tremendous care.

Reactions: orlandofurioso