PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Not ebay, but someone just won a 1912 Barling's Make motor dome in lovely condition from an auction here in the UK. They bid £10 more than me! I wish my finances were in a better state... I'm curious if it is one of the members here?

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
No pipe, yet amazing :

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
No pipe, yet amazing :

Very cool. Because of the boxed-set presentation however I’d never crack the tins, so for me they’d be objects to hoard not use. At $550 that’s too extravagant for my taste. Ironically I’d cheerfully spend $100-200 for the right tin and open it without hesitation when among friends. But breaking into a boxed set involves getting over a mental barrier too high for me to jump.

Dec 10, 2013
Very cool. Because of the boxed-set presentation however I’d never crack the tins, so for me they’d be objects to hoard not use. At $550 that’s too extravagant for my taste. Ironically I’d cheerfully spend $100-200 for the right tin and open it without hesitation when among friends. But breaking into a boxed set involves getting over a mental barrier too high for me to jump.
Exactly Jon, I could not agree more.

The gentleman Italian seller and I exchanged quite some words regarding the tins and the singular 1960 Dunhill Root 598 pipe I purchased from him and posted in this thread. Did not get much attention from our brethren though.

Reactions: guylesss

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
The buyer might find, much to their dismay, that a good 30% of the seals did not hold on those tins.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
The buyer might find, much to their dismay, that a good 30% of the seals did not hold on those tins.
You pays your money & takes your chance, at least he got a pretty box.
I haven’t had much luck with sample tins, over the years. The 1oz round tins have mostly been shot too. Last couple of old Dunhill tins I had, were the square ones from the 70’s, they were perfect. One never knows.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
You mean on the trial tins in particular ?
I asked the seller, according to him all lids "had a concave shape ". Hmm.
Too much of a risk for too much pecunia.
I paid $100 for mine so it wasn't much of a bother, but yes. I also don't mind rehydrating a good tobacco, and these Dunhills are quite pleasant after rehydration, however the majority of the tins seem to be intact. I don't think I'd have paid anywhere near what this most recent auction went for.

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I have one of these sets that I got for much cheaper than this (I think about £40) and the Ready Rubbed aromatic had rusted, and caused all three tins around it to lose their seals. The other 8 tins still had their seals intact, and at some point I will try to rehydrate the 3 that failed.

Reactions: simong

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The "winner" is someone with no previously completed eBay sales. He also clearly hasn't a clue what he's actually bidding on. As for the other two who were pushing this up and up, both have little eBay experience, clearly little Britwood knowledge, and one of them has a number of bid retractions, so he's clearly looking for the reserve and if it's more than whe wants to pay, retracts his bid. eBay is shit for enforcing their policy on bid retractions. $2,200 for a Sasieni recreation is ridiculous.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
We used to have a chuckle at folks who were spending $700 plus in these Specially Selected Eight Dots. Treasurepipes is laughing today.

That's a very pretty pipe. I wonder if Les and Dolly Wood made the whole thing and not just the band. Is it possible to date the hallmark?

Dec 10, 2013
The "winner" is someone with no previously completed eBay sales. He also clearly hasn't a clue what he's actually bidding on. As for the other two who were pushing this up and up, both have little eBay experience, clearly little Britwood knowledge, and one of them has a number of bid retractions, so he's clearly looking for the reserve and if it's more than whe wants to pay, retracts his bid. eBay is shit for enforcing their policy on bid retractions. $2,200 for a Sasieni recreation is ridiculous.
It is sad and I feel for him.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It is sad and I feel for him.
It's also quite possible, since it's a newbie, that he'll skip payment, and the pipe will be back on eBay in a couple of weeks, where it will go for a lot less money.

When I was still selling on eBay I set a "10 successful bid" qualifier for any bidder to be considered, after dealing with some really unethical newbie behavior. I figured that they could go elsewhere and screw around with someone else's auction and leave mine alone.