Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
The upshot of this is caveat emptor. Don't go bidding on anything about which you lack knowledge. If you have doubts don't bid until they are satisfied.

Yeah, you're so right, what good is the (seller) legend of an old pipe that I can only parrot for their personal revaluation, without even having any proof. With pipes of which one hardly knows anything, one should believe the salesman actually first of all nothing. But I also like dealers who do not know when they sell a high-quality estate pipe and it is them to get rid of their junk.

Reactions: sablebrush52

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Found this interesting pipe, an unsmoked Delacour from 1911 and picked it up for a pretty good price:
Nice! But crap photos. I wish people could simply do it right, Maybe you can take a couple? I am interested in the shank near the ferrule, and very much hope it's not a repair.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nice! But crap photos. I wish people could simply do it right, Maybe you can take a couple? I am interested in the shank near the ferrule, and very much hope it's not a repair.
Hi John,

It's not a repair. The pipe is unsmoked. The band has maker's marks for Delacour Brothers and hallmarks for Birmingham 1911. It's in mint condition. I'll take some photos when I find time, though they will be available light outside as I don't have time to set up lights.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was watching this one as well. It's not often that you see a Barling that has been smoked maybe a couple of times, going on the market. It brought in a pretty good price.
I'm adding the pictures to the archive of images I've been collecting over the years that I use for guestimating eras. Were it not for the Barling's DESIGN stamp on the stem I would have thought it was earlier than the 1950's.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Treasurepipes will simply not take good photos, or enough. But, his reputation is apparently strong enough, that it doesn't matter. And, I believe he takes returns without issues. Four photos for a pipe is ridiculous. Of course, I've never asked him for more, so if he sends those on request, I guess that is covered. I have never been disappointed by Rodrigo.

Aug 1, 2012
Treasurepipes will simply not take good photos, or enough. But, his reputation is apparently strong enough, that it doesn't matter. And, I believe he takes returns without issues. Four photos for a pipe is ridiculous. Of course, I've never asked him for more, so if he sends those on request, I guess that is covered. I have never been disappointed by Rodrigo.
It's odd. This happens in the musical instrument world as well. We look for perfect photos from most people but some shops/sellers get by with minimal photos and a great reputation. There are certain pipe sellers (Marty Pulvers for example) that I will buy from with minimal photo evidence, also there are certain instrument sellers I will do the same with. However, if I'm buying from most people on Etsy/Ebay/Reverb I usually ask for a ton of detail photos...go figure.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Hello Kottan,

By no means did I take offence , we are solely amongst friends here :)
[...]
We are "neighbours" and your country is in an extended lockdown now :(
So no trip to Düsseldorf to visit the wonderful museums and one of my favourite pipe and tobacco shops.
That's right, Orlando, and I've been to many parts of your country many times, since the late 60s. I have so many good memories of it ? My first born son is more or less the result of a mostly rainy camping holiday on the beach of Schouwen-Duiveland. By the way, one of the first tobaccos I smoked regularly and with pleasure was a Dutch blend recommended to me by a tobacco seller (I was still living in the Ruhr area at the time). Unfortunately, it hasn't been around for a long time and was called 'Ankersteed'. You can still get old, rusty tins of it at ebeast.

Yes, it's a pity, the consequences of the lockdown. Peter Heinrichs', the house of 10,000 pipes, is a very good address for pipes, tobacco, accessories etc. in Cologne. This guy was an original, liked to mingle with the people, unfortunately he died a few years ago at the age of 70.

Sorry, I guess I got a little off topic.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
There are more than a few well known tobacconist shops in England who have been in business for decades but when it comes to photo shots of their listed pipes and smoking accessories I highly doubt if they could successfully compete in the U.S market because of so pathetic photoshots, wonder if its some kind of odd British tradition taking one-two blurry stock photos of listed items, for instance in this regard seems like Italian based vendors are invincible

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
That's right, Orlando, and I've been to many parts of your country many times, since the late 60s. I have so many good memories of it ? My first born son is more or less the result of a mostly rainy camping holiday on the beach of Schouwen-Duiveland. By the way, one of the first tobaccos I smoked regularly and with pleasure was a Dutch blend recommended to me by a tobacco seller (I was still living in the Ruhr area at the time). Unfortunately, it hasn't been around for a long time and was called 'Ankersteed'. You can still get old, rusty tins of it at ebeast.

Yes, it's a pity, the consequences of the lockdown. Peter Heinrichs', the house of 10,000 pipes, is a very good address for pipes, tobacco, accessories etc. in Cologne. This guy was an original, liked to mingle with the people, unfortunately he died a few years ago at the age of 70.

Sorry, I guess I got a little off topic.
On my behalf :)
Thank you Kottan , when al this misery is behind us I will pay a visit to PH in Köln.
The HU tobaccos peaked my interest , they are supposed to be very agreeable.

Reactions: Kottan and jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I offered this vendor $100 for this one, he said he turned down a $200 offer, went for $301. Eight Dot listed as a Four Dot, looks in decent condition.

1610317703337.png

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I offered this vendor $100 for this one, he said he turned down a $200 offer, went for $301. Eight Dot listed as a Four Dot, looks in decent condition.

View attachment 59547

That was mistakenly listed as a 4-dot. It was not a “4-dot” OR even a “four dot”. It is an “eight dot” in pretty darn good condition.

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
The HU tobaccos peaked my interest , they are supposed to be very agreeable.

As long as the lockdown holds us in thrall, you may be able to order the HU-tobacco online. However, I do not know the import/export conditions for your country or within the EU. Cigarworld (in Düsseldorf ?) has a pretty large assortment of HU-tobacco. I have ordered from them several times and was always satisfied with the service. You can also get free tobacco samples sent to you.

Back to the thread title: I can't help but dislike this type of charatan pipe and wonder about the high price it has achieved.Who actually confirms what on the card? Well, I only collect Charatans made before 1977 anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
Hello Kottan,
Thank you for the advice !
There are several online retailers who ship abroad ( discretely ), like Herr Fleischmacher from Hamburg.
I visited the shop once and purchased some cans of really old F&T Wingate Mixture.
It still has some cigar leaf in it and is delicious .

Is a bogey not nasal mucus, because that is what this pipe look like to me.
Sorry , not really respectful to the carver I suppose.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Kottan

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
I can only guess that if you are a passionate Charatan collector, those figurals are a "must have", $23XX, yikes. The carvings are very amateurish, at best.
For heaven's sake, Al, it's bad enough that such 'works of art' are sold under the Charatan label. And are even touted in a high profile way. But as I said, I only collect Charatans made before the first Dunhill takeover. That is stress enough. Just today, one with a twin bore stem slipped through my fingers.

Dec 10, 2013
For heaven's sake, Al, it's bad enough that such 'works of art' are sold under the Charatan label. And are even touted in a high profile way. But as I said, I only collect Charatans made before the first Dunhill takeover. That is stress enough. Just today, one with a twin bore stem slipped through my fingers.
If memory serves me correctly ( but I need to dig in my Charatan trunk ) I have a large Charatan Super billiard with a twin bore stem.