PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Sorry Kottan, I cannot indulge you :(
The buyer is an Ebay estate pipe seller and the auction has not yet ended.
I would never buy a pipe with four cracks of doom in the bowl.
The pipe seller refurbished it and mentions this severe damage as little cracks.
Wonder if the bowl will explode if the new owner lights it.
It is easy to find on Feebay though.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Sorry Kottan, I cannot indulge you :(
The buyer is an Ebay estate pipe seller and the auction has not yet ended.
I would never buy a pipe with four cracks of doom in the bowl.
The pipe seller refurbished it and mentions this severe damage as little cracks.
Wonder if the bowl will explode if the new owner lights it.
It is easy to find on Feebay though.
Hi Orlando, I avoid bying pipes which are explicitly presented as 'completely refurbished/restored'. But this ebayer uses a carefully worded description of the pipe he wants to sell. I think, if you hadn't seen the pics of this pipe before, you wouldn't even know how severely it was damaged. And I have no Idea if such cracked but restored pipes can be smoked again. This one for example ...

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
Here is one you don’t see everyday. Thought it was beautiful. Added it to my old English collection.

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Hi Orlando,
so the seller has made a profit of about £200. (if he repaired the pipe himself).
I would like to know how much it would be worth if it had no previous damage.
Hello Kottan,
Yes, it was a good show and if you study the pipe before it was repaired I think you understand my worries .
I suspect this seller to refurb the pipes he sells himself ; I would not touch this one with a barge pole,
no matter how rare and how much I like the shape.
I am looking out for it to be auctioned again, original cracks of doom wide open :)

Dec 10, 2013
Found this interesting pipe, an unsmoked Delacour from 1911 and picked it up for a pretty good price:
Hello Jesse,

So it was you who snatched this darn interesting pipe from right under my nose :)
I congratulate you , hope my max. bid gave you a start and ample time to respond, I always place my bid in the last three seconds.
It is much to my liking and apparently my interpretation of the silver date letter was correct.
Already had a notion it is a french one, How did you find out it was a Delacour; because of the silver hallmarks ?
Maybe post better pictures later ?

Last edited:
Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Repaired Dunhill sold :
I hadn't seen the earlier pre "repair" auction, so it was interesting to trace it back. I found this one intriguing because one doesn't often encounter an OD of any sort. I liked the design quite a lot. Then I noticed the radiating cracks, ineptly dealt with, and lost any further interest. Someone like George Dibos could have repaired that damage to be strong and seamless. It's a shame, but methinks this pipe has been star crossed considering the intensely stupid way it had been used by some slop lipped puffer.

• Haha

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hello Jesse,

So it was you who snatched this darn interesting pipe from right under my nose :)
I congratulate you , hope my max. bid gave you a start and ample time to respond, I always place my bid in the last three seconds.
It is much to my liking and apparently my interpretation of the silver date letter was correct.
Already had a notion it is a french one, How did you find out it was a Delacour; because of the silver hallmarks ?
Maybe post better pictures later ?

Actually, all I did, which is pretty much what I always do, is place a maximum for what I'm willing to spend, and then walk away and forget about it. Sometimes I win, sometimes not. But I never pay more than an item is worth to me. The last bid came in a couple of dollars below my maximum. So I guess I guessed reasonably well.

I knew it was a Delacour Bros once I saw the maker's marks. I liked the pipe because it's a bit weird, and I like weird.

Given that Rodrigo doesn't know much about the pipes he sells, he didn't bother to list a maker, he didn't even bother to spell the word "silver" correctly. I like Rodrigo and have bought a number of his pipes over the years. He's very easy to work with. He's also gotten lazy about his listings.

So I saw an opportunity to pick up a cool example from one of the finest pipe makers of the early 20th century at a reasonable price.

As always, there's the risk that someone else, like yourself, has also spotted the opportunity, or that someone else who likes weird old stuff and is a trust fund baby, will bid it into the stratosphere. That happens quite a lot. This time it didn't. I thank Rodrigo for this.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Orlando,
so the seller has made a profit of about £200. (if he repaired the pipe himself).
I would like to know how much it would be worth if it had no previous damage.
Given the rarity of a pipe like this, there's no marketplace record to consult. It's all a matter of who's bidding. But t'were I to hazard a guess I say in the $1800 to $2800 range. Could go higher, much higher. But the seller did a homebrew job of patching up the pipe.

Reactions: Kottan
Dec 10, 2013
Actually, all I did, which is pretty much what I always do, is place a maximum for what I'm willing to spend, and then walk away and forget about it. Sometimes I win, sometimes not. But I never pay more than an item is worth to me. The last bid came in a couple of dollars below my maximum. So I guess I guessed reasonably well.

I knew it was a Delacour Bros once I saw the maker's marks. I liked the pipe because it's a bit weird, and I like weird.

Given that Rodrigo doesn't know much about the pipes he sells, he didn't bother to list a maker, he didn't even bother to spell the word "silver" correctly. I like Rodrigo and have bought a number of his pipes over the years. He's very easy to work with. He's also gotten lazy about his listings.

So I saw an opportunity to pick up a cool example from one of the finest pipe makers of the early 20th century at a reasonable price.

As always, there's the risk that someone else, like yourself, has also spotted the opportunity, or that someone else who likes weird old stuff and is a trust fund baby, will bid it into the stratosphere. That happens quite a lot. This time it didn't. I thank Rodrigo for this.
I was close, so close and I'm pleased you won it Jesse and not some "trust fund baby " .
It is weird and I like weird stuff.
Rodrigo is a stand up guy and I purchased quite some nice pipes from him.
Yes, he is sloppy and this pillar of his charm sometimes opens up a wide window of opportunity .

Reactions: sablebrush52

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I've bought a number of pipes from Rodrigo over the years because he has nice wares. But I've always wondered, In light of his casualness and his lousy photos, how he manages to maintain his steady stream of quality goods.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've bought a number of pipes from Rodrigo over the years because he has nice wares. But I've always wondered, In light of his casualness and his lousy photos, how he manages to maintain his steady stream of quality goods.
Rodrigo built up a pretty solid base of buyers and sellers before he stopped trying. His pictures were better lit. He added in a little information about the pipes for sale, things he no longer bothers to do. As long as his sellers are happy he has nothing to worry about.

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Hello Kottan,
Yes, it was a good show and if you study the pipe before it was repaired I think you understand my worries .
I suspect this seller to refurb the pipes he sells himself ; I would not touch this one with a barge pole,
no matter how rare and how much I like the shape.
I am looking out for it to be auctioned again, original cracks of doom wide open :)
Orlando, I didn't mean to criticise or even snub you with my penultimate answer to the case, I just wasn't sure myself what to think of such a seller. On the one hand, what he is doing is legal, but on the other hand, he is of course (deliberately) misleading his potential customers, or rather, he is not showing them the damage that has been repaired, which I find at least unacceptable. In short, he verbally conceals the seriousness of the damage. I often observe that pipes described as something that they cannot be at all, according to their stampings. Sometimes I react to this and ask about it. The most wonderful explanations come to light. One seller was cool, he wrote me back, 'You're absolutely right, of course it has to be called so and so'. But he left the ad as it was. Another reacted in such a way that he offered me the pipe for $50 less without comment. He never corrected the mistake but the pipe was offered cheaper and cheaper as time went on. I have put a few of these amusing shopkeepers on my watch list.

Great, if you stick with this Dunhill.

Dec 10, 2013
Orlando, I didn't mean to criticise or even snub you with my penultimate answer to the case, I just wasn't sure myself what to think of such a seller. On the one hand, what he is doing is legal, but on the other hand, he is of course (deliberately) misleading his potential customers, or rather, he is not showing them the damage that has been repaired, which I find at least unacceptable. In short, he verbally conceals the seriousness of the damage. I often observe that pipes described as something that they cannot be at all, according to their stampings. Sometimes I react to this and ask about it. The most wonderful explanations come to light. One seller was cool, he wrote me back, 'You're absolutely right, of course it has to be called so and so'. But he left the ad as it was. Another reacted in such a way that he offered me the pipe for $50 less without comment. He never corrected the mistake but the pipe was offered cheaper and cheaper as time went on. I have put a few of these amusing shopkeepers on my watch list.

Great, if you stick with this Dunhill.
Hello Kottan,

By no means did I take offence , we are solely amongst friends here :)
Also I do not quite understand your meaning, since I did not buy this poor, abused pipe.
I purchased a pipe from this seller, it is quite some time ago.
It was a beautiful Ashton. The shape was rare , the pipe utterly clean , well refurbished and smoked like a charm.
Much later I found out it was topped a little ( which I do not mind, provided the topping is done according to my standards which are pathologically precise ) .
A friend brought it to my attention, his eye is even more critical than mine, the rim was topped somewhat "skew".
Take care my friend and I wish you the very the best for this New Year .
We are "neighbours" and your country is in an extended lockdown now :(
So no trip to Düsseldorf to visit the wonderful museums and one of my favourite pipe and tobacco shops.

Reactions: Kottan

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Parading one's knowledge while knocking down a kind and trustworthy seller just isn't cool in my book. Denigrating buyers who can afford to buy nice pipes (and support the secondary pipe market in the process) is also uncool, IMO.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I often observe that pipes described as something that they cannot be at all, according to their stampings. Sometimes I react to this and ask about it. The most wonderful explanations come to light. One seller was cool, he wrote me back, 'You're absolutely right, of course it has to be called so and so'. But he left the ad as it was. Another reacted in such a way that he offered me the pipe for $50 less without comment.
I've encountered this more than a few times. There are a lot of Alfred Dreyfus pipes being touted as rare early Dunhills. And they sell for more than a Dreyfus would. The sellers I've corresponded with know perfectly well they're perpetrating a fraud and simply do not care.
The upshot of this is caveat emptor. Don't go bidding on anything about which you lack knowledge. If you have doubts don't bid until they are satisfied.
I saw the "repaired" cracks and had I been interested, that repair job would have been a deal breaker. I don't spend my hard earned cash on cracked abused pipes. Want to send it to me for free, I'll give it a home.