Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here it is. And it went for ca. $1200.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Here is a puzzler, to me. Peterson 999's are popular but $176 for a Republic era pipe, that looks like it was dipped in vaseoline seems on the high end. I graduated in 1979 and was going to bid on it, but not at that price. I picked up a family era Sasieni Ashford instead, this morning.

View attachment 48423
Hi Al,

Can you post a picture of the Sasieni ?

Reactions: Papamique

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Here is a puzzler, to me. Peterson 999's are popular but $176 for a Republic era pipe, that looks like it was dipped in vaseoline seems on the high end. I graduated in 1979 and was going to bid on it, but not at that price. I picked up a family era Sasieni Ashford instead, this morning.

View attachment 48423
I just saw that the seller is Todd from deadman’s pipes. I have dealt with him quite a few times in the past and have been amazed with his work and service. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from him again. I prepare to pay about $40 extra since his pipes, in my experience, have been restored properly. Just my opinion and 2¢. I still think it’s a win win for you Al. ;);)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I just saw that the seller is Todd from deadman’s pipes. I have dealt with him quite a few times in the past and have been amazed with his work and service. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from him again. I prepare to pay about $40 extra since his pipes, in my experience, have been restored properly. Just my opinion and 2¢. I still think it’s a win win for you Al. ;);)
Todd is a friendly guy who answers all your questions. His pipes are always well refurbished but the best is the style he advertises them so you can fall in love with each pipe he sells.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I bailed once it went past $100. That price was well over the market value for a Republic era Peterson. It did look in good shape, but the glossy finish also three me off (perhaps it was simply photo enhancement)

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
$3726.99 plus shipping. Bloody Mary Mix not included.

Been watching this one for more than week. I was confident that it was going to fetch more than the $302 which was still the top bid this morning--even if, let's face, magnum or not, and its decent, unrestored condition notwithstanding, a graceful, swan-necked beauty this pipe is not. Nov 2020 Magnum.jpg

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Been watching this one for more than week. I was confident that it was going to fetch more than the $302 which was still the top bid this morning--even if, let's face, magnum or not, and its decent, unrestored condition notwithstanding, a graceful, swan-necked beauty this pipe is not. View attachment 48846

Cannot say that I like it, what a beast.
Would do well as a war club.
Were these hugh pipes used as store display examples ?

Reactions: cshubhra

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

Been watching this one for more than week. I was confident that it was going to fetch more than the $302 which was still the top bid this morning--even if, let's face, magnum or not, and its decent, unrestored condition notwithstanding, a graceful, swan-necked beauty this pipe is not. View attachment 48846

I find the price astounding. As a rule of thumb I discount valuation for online purchases a bit even with sellers I know and trust simply because I can’t hold the pipe in my hand before buying. When the seller is a newbie in the pipe world with relatively few sales to boot (204 feedbacks as a seller of which exactly one was within the last year) the discount becomes large. I understand people take significant risks to acquire rare objects but $3800 for a “no refunds, ok?” pipe is outside my comfort zone.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I fell quite short on this one. I've never seen a hallmarked 9BC. It's too bad the seller didn't photograph the hallmark, but states it was from the 1950's. That does support Mark Irwin's assertion that the 9BC is a Republic era shape.

1604267446702.png

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
This is a rare pipe, I have never seen another like it.

$2,248.00

s-l1600.jpg
I'd like to hear what Ken Barnes says about it. I never heard that Charatan let external artisans carve pipes for their label. This pipe might be a filigree piece of wooden artwork but (especially without the Logo) you can consider it kitschy too. Was it Col. Barnes who signed it?