PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
After reading a bunch of stuff on here, doing some calculations, etc. I came to the conclusion that I would like to eventualy cellar about 20-25 lbs of tobacco.

After I arrived at this, I came across this online article that confirmed some of research. If you are a new piper and are considering cellaring, this might save you a lot of time reading:

Pipe Tobacco By The Numbers - Briar Report Magazine - https://www.briarreport.org/2019/05/21/pipe-tobacco-by-the-numbers/

My very modest current cache of tobacco is a bit over 1lb. With my moderate pace of smoking, I figure this amount would last me just under 10-12 months, which is what this article confirms.

Does anyone else look at their cellaring this way or do they just smoke, buy and cellar...?

Reactions: Bowie and JR1296

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I'm at 16 lbs since I started significantly cellaring in early 2018 (two years now). About 10 lbs of Esoterica bags (Brighton, Stonehaven, and other Virginia based blends mostly). This year I'm filling in more flakes (Comoy's, SG and G&H, etc.). Most of my favorite blends have been around for ages, so I'm more concerned with them closing shop than any FDA crackdown. Additionally, these all just taste better with a few years on them.

Reactions: Bowie
Let's see 400+lbs... calculate bowls per day, size of bowls... ummmm, I still need more tobacco.
I've tried to use systems, calculations, predictions, and I should have stopped cellaring a few years ago, when 200 lbs was my goal, but then what the hell do I do with all of that extra money if I stop? Can I sleep at night knowing that if I don't own all of that tobacco, other people will smoke it?
Nope, the objective is obtaining and total possession.
I'm not sure I could stop if I wanted to. puffy

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Very helpful indeed, to help me establish a minimum. But like Cosmic, I’ll buy more and more. It’s the same reason I have 1000+ scifi/fantasy vintage paperbacks, more than I can read in my remaining lifetime: I have that collector’s bug.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I tried to figure it out once, but with all the variables my brain broke. I know it's enough when I am overwhelmed and a little embarrassed by it.

Reactions: BROBS

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
This is a very good article, and it corresponds to my thinking over the holidays. My cost and rate, in US prices, puts me at about a $250 per year. This is really negligible considering the pleasure it gives me.

Reactions: whsergent and BROBS

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Ok so im 64, unless alcohol kills them guys in my family usually live to mid eighties, even given the coal mines. So at about 2 bowls a day, according to the article, i would need about 60 pounds, say five extra for good measure.

Assuming i stick to bulk and average about 40$ per pound thats 2600 dollars not including taxes. Geez i might have to go back to work.

Jan 15, 2020
Houston, TX
Being new to pipe smoking, but not new to smoking, I figured best deals would be in bulk after spending too what I thought was far too much at the local b&m (wish I could afford to spend triple the online price). I spent about $150-175 and got about 8 lbs. I gave away probably about a lb to several buddies divided up into 1 ounce bags of the different blends, or ones that I concocted since we are all new to the hobby. I feel like I have a decent cellar going, curious to see how long it last as I average at least 21 bowls a week. Smoke three a day, on the way to work, on the way home, and match evening before bed.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My accumulation of tobacco would be more correctly described as a stash, not so much a cellar. My stash and the word "plan" do not exist in the same universe, but for those in the planned cellar universe, congratulations.

Reactions: BROBS and madox07

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I too stash, more than cellar. I usually hoard whatever I cannot find in my area. The article is interesting though ... I guess judging by the number of bowls I smoke I am a daily pipe smoker as per the article labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.