PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I haven’t smoked it as much as I wanted to, so I never did take that picture.

I liked it so much I got another one cheap off eBay. I figured I could experiment on the cheap one… But after I cleaned it up I love it just as much. I’ll probably have to get another :)

first picture here:

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's one point of information if correctly weighed. Since you are fastidious about taking apart and fully cleaning your smoking tools, perhaps that's why there's so little gain.

Anyone else have some points of actual reference? You may consider any response in any way you wish.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's one point of information if correctly weighed. Since you are fastidious about taking apart and fully cleaning your smoking tools, perhaps that's why there's so little gain.

Anyone else have some points of actual reference? You may consider any response in any way you wish.
Could be a point of moisture evaporation as well. Spill coffee on a piece of paper and it stains. After it dries there's negligible weight gain but the stain remains.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, that triggers a why. Thank you! I weighed a couple of unsmoked pipes, then soaked them in water. They both gained over 50% of the initial weight. So, they didn't gain weight through smoking, and promptly lost the experiment gain.

But I have read of some long time meer smokers who claimed a large weight gain. I can't corroborate.

Your careful cleaning may mean they will hardly ever gain weight, a good thing!