PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I very recently ordered a pound of Ryback Regular from P&C. I smoked a couple of bowls then noticed in the reviews that many use this as a RYO. I put some tobacco in a tube injector and noticed a small brown insect which I smashed between my fingers. Never saw that before. I rolled a second smoke and found another one. This time I googled tobacco insects and believe these critters to be tiny tobacco beetles. I prefer my smoking tobacco to be bug-free. I contacted P&C to see what they have to say. In the meantime, my question is, how do I get rid of these things? Do I pitch the tobacco and hope for better luck next time or is there a way to kill them? In doing a search for tobacco beetles on this forum I gather that one suggestion is to put the tobacco in the freezer for several days then bring it back slowly to room temperature. Will this kill the bugs? I need some help from the wisdom of the members.
Thanks.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just keep smoking them. It will take you higher than you've ever been before..........!!!

In all seriousness though, I have no idea. I'd say you will likely either have to pick them out of each bowl or toss the whole bag and get PC to replace it. God knows what kind of filth they've left behind in there as well. I personally wouldn't smoke it regardless. The only insect I ever smoked voluntarily was a few roaches in college :LOL:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm jealous. I got no free protein with my D&R tobacco.

More seriously, if those critters aren't dead already, get that stuff out of your house. Last thing you need is an infestation of creatures that have a taste for your cellar!

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
NO QUESTION, dump that stuff now and I would demand a refund from P&C and for now, go to SmokingPipes.com or Tobaccopipes.com for the foreseeable future.
Best of Luck!
Dan

Reactions: greeneyes

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I’ve had a few bowls of my Fusiliers Ration lately that popped a few times throughout the smoke. I was hoping it was some sort of additive or something causing that, but my mind did wonder if I was popping little beetles hahaha. Maybe I need to take a closer look! ?

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Ha. Fascinating beetles. Dried/cured tobacco would be a hostile environment for most insects. Not only because nicotine is an insecticide but because the nutritional value of the tobacco at the stage must be nearly nothing.

I was curious so looked into it. Turns out they have a symbiotic yeast that lives with them and produces B vitamins. The eggs get some of this on them as they pass through the female and this in turn provides nutrients to the hatching larvae.

Not necessarily what we want to see on our pipe tobacco but a fascinating critter.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
By all means, call 800-494-9144. There's no need to demand a refund. We will be glad to do it, and I'm grateful to see this thread so we can check what we have in stock and will destroy anything that's infested. The larvae are on virtually all tobacco but they're usually dormant. The tobacco must have gotten war, probably during shipment, and the larvae hatched. Considering the amount of tobacco and cigars in our warehouse, we need to act quickly to isolate the affected product. Thanks for the heads-up, and please let us replace it for you.

Russ

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
I thought freezing the tobacco would at least kill the bugs, still there but not getting worse. Foggy memory from reading a cigar forum.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Freezing the tobacco is supposed to kill them, but I don't like taking that chance. Into the bin it goes. Usually by the time you see them in the jar, the tobacco is pretty much infested.

A few years back, one big name tobacco producer (whom I shall not name) had problems with beetles. It was limited mostly to their bulks.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Release them back into the wild. Jesus loves all the little insects of the world.

RockRash

Lurker
Sep 8, 2019
California
Freezing the tobacco should kill off the bugs. Knock on wood I've never had that problem. I do however freeze my cigars I order online before adding them to my humidor. I'm probably over doing it but this is one one of worst fears I might have to start freezing my pipe tobacco before cellaring. On a side note Russ thank you for responding in this thread its customer service like this that will keep me buying from you.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Yes, freezing does kill the eggs, larvae. They hatch when the temp get above 80F.

Used to freeze cigars in the deep freeze for a few days when received them, but didn’t need to in the wintertime.

Reactions: stogie37
Status
Not open for further replies.