PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Initial Newbie Impressions-
These aren't reviews or notes. Just hiccups as I meander around the world of pipe tobacco.
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. Something died in this tin. Smokes without complication. Tastes best at night, where you can lean back and pick apart the layers. I can't describe what I think the Orientials are, but it's almost like a spice you'd rub on red meat. Make my pipe smell like mint. Why do I keep coming back to this? It's like a puzzle or something because I have no idea "what tobacco" tastes like "what".
Louisiana Red. Sharp and citrus-like. Tastes good with strong coffee or a beer. I can't find any layers in it, but that's fine too. Straight forward.
PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. Cubing it = crumbling it. When I rub it out everything blends together. When I fold and stuff it, I can taste when I hit the Cavendish. I can't tell if my tongue or pipe is getting better at tasting, but it seems just aging it 2.5 months really helped the body of this. If that's the case, I wonder what a year will do. Sweetish. I could smoke this all the time.
Escudo. Bolder then LBF. Much more of a black pepper taste. A sweetness from the Virginias but they are not as exposed as in LBF. My short bus tongue can't tell if there's Cavendish in this, but the smoke doesn't have the creamy feel I get from Cavendish. Don't think there's any in it. (I never believe the tins, they lie.) I could smoke this all the time.
Mac Baren's Navy Flake. Tastes like cigarettes. My whole mouth hurts, roof, back of the throat, and tongue. All over. I think it's a Burley thing.
Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake. Good tobacco taste. Subtle Vanilla/Creamy taste. Pairs great with Bourbon. Wouldn't mind having a tin on hand to stifle the Vanilla cravings. Also finally noticed a hint of spice some of the guys mentioned once I started drying it out more. Fold and stuff.
1Q. Cotten Candy, empty smoke, Lumpy Space Princess, huge clouds, smoking masturbation. It's interesting because of what it isn't, but not enough for me to keep on hand.
Full Virginia Flake. The first Virginia flake I "got". Victory is mine! Still working at it. Cube cutting gives the tobacco all the life of a lumpy mattress, doesn't tamp well. Can't get the last quarter of the bowl to stay lit. Bad pipe packing or bad tobacco prep? I finally have a Virginia Flake reference. Looking forward to this.
Mac Baren's Virginia #1. A. I suck at Virginia's. B. My tongue has no soul. C. All of the above. I'll revist it in a few months.
Iwen Ries Virginia Flake. Dear Virginia. You've got me feeling impotent. See above.
Mac Baren's Original Choice. Great to try while I was starting out. Not what I'm looking for.
Tinderbox 1928 Reserve. Figs and plums. I have no idea what's in this but I am almost addicted to the "figginess". It's almost savory. I want to find something like this, but "drier" and "smokier".
Shortcut to Mushrooms. HAHAHA. The skin of a marshmellow burnt in a campfire in October. Smokey at the start. Camp fires. I could not smoke this in the warm weather. About halfway through the bowl, it gets really creamy with huge clouds. I think this is going to be an Aro I keep on hand instead of 1Q. Almost too sweet.
Boswell's Aros/Moontrance. Smell great. Taste nothing. Blueberry Cobbler makes my whole mouth ache. Burley?
I have really tried to put more effort into tobacco then pipes and I am having a blast. I don't have that "gotta smoke em all" knee jerk and I've really been able to narrow down what type of tobaccos I like. I would be perfectly content to smoke Escudo and LBF forever (awhile)and break it up with a nice Virginia flake, a curious English, and a sweetish aro that still tastes like smoke. However I'm looking forward to exploring Virginias a bit and I think I hear the siren song of the Orient luring me to delve into them.
It's been an absolute pleasure learning from you seasoned folks and hearing the new folks impressions. I always appreciate hearing peoples honest opinions. I'll have to post my humble pipe collection when I get my most recent purchase in.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Excellent post. :clap:
One thing I've noticed is if I don't like a baccy, put it away and try again a few weeks later. I didn't like Morning Pipe at first, now I like it.
1928 reserve is one I am not really enjoying - but I you appreciate you gifting me some. Mucho kudos to you for that. I will try it again, who knows? Maybe I'll grow to like it. :puffy:

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
Excellent post! I keep all the tobaccos I don't much care for in a box in the closet and come back to them about every 6 months and love some and still dislike others.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Thank's for the nice comments.
Six. Anytime man. Thank's for the Gotham Court.
Roth I'll give that a try. I think I tend to smoke my tobacco a bit too moist in general. Thank you.
Edit: BTW. I'd be glad to share a few bowels of LBF, Escudo, Shortcut to Mushrooms, 1Q, Moontrance, Early Morning Pipe or Louisiana Red if anyone wants some. Just PM me. Tobacco should be shared.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:worship:

jah76, excellent post! :clap:

Of course your tastes will change, but you are well on your way to writing some very good reviews.

I look forward to reading more.
Good stuff!

:puffy:

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Great post!
Now I want to read what you think about Nightcap...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jah, great post. I have found that when I smoke my bulk FVF I need to rub it out for it to burn properly. It sounds like you are gravitating to some nice flakes, here are a couple I think you might enjoy. Solani 633(vaper flake) and Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug. These are two of my favorites and take to cube cutting right out of the tin with no drying quite nicely.

scottn

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
Great post, I have smoked about 6 times now. So I am a total newbie here. I am looking forward to all these great flavors that you and others have read here on these boards.
I am really fighting the PAD just to keep my checkbook in check, but i am chomping at the bit to try EVERYTHING.
Again thanks for your insight on these tobaccos and your generous offer to share.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I think burley does the same to me. I'll smoke a blend with it in it but prefer VA and cavendish to be main ingredients first.

Status
Not open for further replies.