PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Part of what we enjoy about pipe smoking deals with the history of pipe smoking and the past. Some have had pipes given to them from fathers or grandfathers. That is such a blessing to have such a piece of family history. Do Forum members have inherited pipes, what condition are they in and do you still use them?

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Part of what we enjoy about pipe smoking deals with the history of pipe smoking and the past. Some have had pipes given to them from fathers or grandfathers. That is such a blessing to have such a piece of family history. Do Forum members have inherited pipes, what condition are they in and do you still use them?
Briefly had my grandfather's pipe collection when I was young and didnt know anything about pipes. Tried to smoke one and of course I had no idea what I was doing and it wasn't very enjoyable so like an idiot I sold them off. Would love to be able to track them back down and have them again but I don't have any pictures or info on them.

Reactions: STP and WVOldFart

Call Me Late

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2021
Windsor Ontario
The first memory of a pipe that I have is of my great grandfathers pipe. It is a billiard and I can still picture it sitting on the trim above the stairway at my grandparents house. I remember putting in my mouth at one point, it wasn’t too pleasant as a kid haha. At some point it went missing. I know it’s somewhere in the house but I can’t search for it as my grandmothers house has been locked since she went into a home with dementia. If I ever get a chance to I’ll scouring the house and claim it.

Reactions: WVOldFart

Stompthroat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Maryland
I have a special distant relative on my wife's side of the family that has a few pipes, but when he passes away I don't think I'd be in line to get them. Although, I probably should ask so they just don't throw them away!!!

On a related note, how many really great pipe collections do you think were just tossed in the trash by family who didn't have a clue?

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
My grandfather smoked 1 pipe until it was tossed, then bought another at a drug store and repeated every few years.
He was the only one who smoked a pipe that I remember.
But I did get his old 10 Guage long tom shotgun.
Back in the day, that was the way it was done. Why have a lot of pipes because you could only smoke one at a time. The many pipes that we think we have to have today would have been considered excessive and unnecessary.

Reactions: Kal

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Back in the day, that was the way it was done. Why have a lot of pipes because you could only smoke one at a time. The many pipes that we think we have to have today would have been considered excessive and unnecessary.
I don't think that's true at all. I think just like now some pipe smokers have one pipe and some have collections of various sizes. There is a lot of evidence of people collecting pipes pretty much going back to the post clay period. The whole time I've been aware of pipes I've seen both types of pipe smokers. Owns one till it breaks and why would any one person have so many darn pipes that they can't even get around to smoke more then once a year.
Though the internet has probably changed the percentage of smokers that have a collection. I know before the internet really became a main stay of daily life and you had to rely on what you could get locally or during travels (mainly) one was less likely to run into another pipe they just had to have. I know when I started it the local shop had many nice pipes but not an insane selection and it was rarer to see something that really stood out from the others and when there was it was usually priced way too high for me to afford at the time.

Reactions: OzPiper

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have my great grandfather's Linkman's Grabow. I had sent it in to have it refurbished, and was told the stinger was seized to itself. They got it out, but the threaded part was then basically destroyed and lost somewhere from there to here. I don't know if someone can re insert the male threaded part that would "screw" into the wood shank.

So right now it's in worse shape than when I got it. It's currently just taped together hanging on my garage wall. I'd love to have it fixed if not much money.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do have a wonderful old walnut circular pipe rack with an amber colored tobacco jar in the middle that belonged to my paternal grandfather and then to my father. My dad smoked from age 15 to 65, when he quit cold turkey for a second career job on a campus. He smoked only one pipe at a time until burnout. I think he inherited his dad's pipes, and burnt them out. I had an uncle who I suspect smoked high end pipes, but I couldn't presume to ask my cousins, his kids, if they have any of his pipes. That would be tacky, and unkind.

Reactions: Kal and WVOldFart

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I inherited my grandfather's pipes. I had them professionally restored and use all but three of them. I gave one to a very close friend of mine when he took up the pipe.

(One briar has a cracked bowl, the meershaum is burnt through the bottom, and I've always been a little bit too nervous to play with the delicate ceramic Tyolean.)

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I have one of my uncles cobs but that’s about it. I wish I had asked him what blend he smoked when I had the chance but I was a kid when he died.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I inherited my grandfather's pipes. I had them professionally restored and use all but three of them. I gave one to a very close friend of mine when he took up the pipe.

(One briar has a cracked bowl, the meershaum is burnt through the bottom, and I've always been a little bit too nervous to play with the delicate ceramic Tyolean.)
What's nice is that at least you have some part of your family's history.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
On a related note, how many really great pipe collections do you think were just tossed in the trash by family who didn't have a clue?
No pipe smokers in my family unless you count the one granduncle who was fond of opium. ?

Both my sons don't smoke, so they will be very unlikely to want any of my pipes - not that it is a "great" collection. Instructions will have to be left so my wife does not use them to fire up the BBQ or outdoor fire-pit. ☹️

Reactions: Kal and WVOldFart