Inherited Pipes and Tobacco, Not Sure What to do...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
If you are going in whole hog, maybe get a beater pipe to restore first. If your pipes have sentimental value you want to do it right.

Ghosting is a term used to describe lingering smells and tastes that work their way into a pipe. If you keep yours clean its not really an issue, at least for me. There are several good ways to clean your pipe.

I agree with Mike. There are so many pipes on Ebay that can be had for $15 delivered to your door. It is a lot less intimidating to restore a pipe that was purchased cheaply and has no connection to you. And, you just might end up with a winner or 2 in the process. In terms of tobacco, keep all you have inherited and store it in a dark, cool place. Except that Cherry tobacco you have. Camp out here for awhile and then transition to non-aromatics (although some veteran pipe smokers here never leave aromatics... poor guys).

Reactions: SgtPiper73
Dec 6, 2020
Portland, OR
Hi, welcome to the pastime! I’m newer to pipe smoking as well but have found that there’s always more to try and more to learn and as you go you develop your own preferences and routines around how you enjoy pipe smoking.

As others have said, it might be a good idea to start with pipe that you are less concerned about damaging. I charred the rim of one of my first pipes before I figured out the whole lighting procedure. Personally I’d choose a briar one, for me there’s something about the marriage of briar and tobacco that just feels right. but also smoke whatever pipe calls to you, that’s part of the fun!

as far as ghosting and pipe dedication goes, again, everyone has different preferences and it depends on what you like to smoke and how much you care about not mixing flavors. I mostly smoke Balkan/English blends with varying degrees of oriental and Latakia so most of my pipes are for those. I have a couple pipes where anything goes and a couple for straight Virginia’s. Depending on how many pipes and tobaccos you have, you could start by smoking each tobacco out of a different pipe and see what you gravitate towards. Or alternatively you could start with one blend that appeals to you and try smoking it in different pipes to really get a feel for it’s nuances. Ultimately though do what strikes your fancy. Its about enjoyment so explore and have fun!

Good luck!!

Reactions: SgtPiper73

SgtPiper73

Lurker
Jan 22, 2021
Oh and please post some pictures of your pipes @SgtPiper73 , we may be able to offer some more detailed cleaning tips.
I may in the future. I've been so busy, I'm sure you all know how that goes. I've got 30 hrs of stuff to do in a 24 hr period. Rest assured though, I have immersed myself in restoration forums, sites, and youtube channels. I have found several great ones to include Bare Pipe on YouTube and rebornpipes.com, amongst others.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I may in the future. I've been so busy, I'm sure you all know how that goes. I've got 30 hrs of stuff to do in a 24 hr period. Rest assured though, I have immersed myself in restoration forums, sites, and youtube channels. I have found several great ones to include Bare Pipe on YouTube and rebornpipes.com, amongst others.

Have you checked out DadsPipes - https://dadspipes.com/ ?

He documents all the repairs he does. Somewhere in the 300 range I believe. He's located in Ontario.