PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I’ve been smoking a pipe for 12 years or so, and for only but the last few months I’ve smoked cigarettes as well.

I never inhale directly off the draw...but I do the “snork,” or nose inhale, a few times each smoke. I enjoy it. I also exhale through my nose sometimes. This is something I’ve always done, and I think it helps me taste the tobacco better, while also allowing me to absorb a little more nic...

Inhaling directly off the draw with pipe tobacco has never been comfortable to me, so I just don’t do it...even after quitting cigarettes and having a few weeks of fairly intense cravings, I still didn’t. Just made me feel like I was choking!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I don't inhale with my pipes, that's one of the things Iike more about pipes. The exhale through the nose seems to help replace the lung hit, that I get from cigarettes. It seems like inhaling is the real danger in smoking, so I see my pipes as a smokers retirement plan. I still smoke cigarettes which I definitely inhale, I've cut back on those quite a bit. It's hard to smoke a cigarette with a pipe sticking out of your face. I also lightly inhale cigars, those are rare since I've found the pipe.

Reactions: BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I inhale a few times each bowl. Definitely alters the flavor in the negative. But being an ex-cig smoker, that throat hit is just hard to resist feeling every now and then.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Having been a cigarette smoker for many years I find myself inhaling the smoke from any cigar, ciggies, or pipe. Knowing that not all tobacco is blended to be inhaled am I breaking the golden rules of pipe smoking? And is this frowned upon?
For 35 years I smoked cigarettes and was up to 40-a-day.
Around ten years ago I switched to a pipe. I inhale so I don't smoke blends stronger than mild to medium with mild levels of nicotine.

When I smoked cigs I was terribly addicted and would start craving every 30 minutes.
Now I can go many hours without a pipe and not even notice when I'm otherwise occupied.
Cigarettes have a staggering 300-600 added chemicals, some of which are addictive, so I think that has something to do with craving.
Pipe tobacco has none apart from some blends that have harmless PG, glycerine or food grade flavourings.

When I drive a truck occasionally, if I'm on a boring motorway I'll puff on a pre-packed pipe but when I'm not and I need both hands to drive, I'm happy to wait until I get to my destination. [I don't like to clench a pipe]

Now, if I inhaled blends like the ones @condorlover1 smokes, I'd also feel like I'd been 'punched in the lungs' and I'd probably turn green, lol. He likes the strong stuff :eek:

I'm not sure if inhaling is "frowned upon" or not. I smoke for my pleasure so others opinions are neither here nor there.

To source mild, mild to medium blends with mild nicotine, I go to www.tobaccoreviews.com and have learned to trust @jiminks reviews. Jims assessments are very accurate and have not steered me wrong.

Geoff

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Wales
I was a cigarette smoker and inhaled a lot of the cigars I smoked. With pipe, I inhale very little which is one of the things I like about it. Couldn't get enough out of a cigar without inhaling. Pipe, don't need to. I doubt anyone can argue inhaling a pipe is better for you medically than not. I'd propose you start consciously attempting to not inhale and see if you're satisfied.

Thanks fella,

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Geoff

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Wales
I don't inhale with my pipes, that's one of the things Iike more about pipes. The exhale through the nose seems to help replace the lung hit, that I get from cigarettes. It seems like inhaling is the real danger in smoking, so I see my pipes as a smokers retirement plan. I still smoke cigarettes which I definitely inhale, I've cut back on those quite a bit. It's hard to smoke a cigarette with a pipe sticking out of your face. I also lightly inhale cigars, those are rare since I've found the pipe.

I think we are in the same boat, we just love tobacco don't we?

Geoff

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Wales
For 35 years I smoked cigarettes and was up to 40-a-day.
Around ten years ago I switched to a pipe. I inhale so I don't smoke blends stronger than mild to medium with mild levels of nicotine.

When I smoked cigs I was terribly addicted and would start craving every 30 minutes.
Now I can go many hours without a pipe and not even notice when I'm otherwise occupied.
Cigarettes have a staggering 300-600 added chemicals, some of which are addictive, so I think that has something to do with craving.
Pipe tobacco has none apart from some blends that have harmless PG, glycerine or food grade flavourings.

When I drive a truck occasionally, if I'm on a boring motorway I'll puff on a pre-packed pipe but when I'm not and I need both hands to drive, I'm happy to wait until I get to my destination. [I don't like to clench a pipe]

Now, if I inhaled blends like the ones @condorlover1 smokes, I'd also feel like I'd been 'punched in the lungs' and I'd probably turn green, lol. He likes the strong stuff :eek:

I'm not sure if inhaling is "frowned upon" or not. I smoke for my pleasure so others opinions are neither here nor there.

To source mild, mild to medium blends with mild nicotine, I go to www.tobaccoreviews.com and have learned to trust @jiminks reviews. Jims assessments are very accurate and have not steered me wrong.
thanks for the link chopper, and advice about baccy

Reactions: chopper
Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
The idea is to not deeply inhale,just allow your olfactory senses to register the flavor.Yes,the nicotine is there,more or less,depending on what you’re smoking,and it adds that state of deep thought so many smokers talk of.I find this more with a pipe than a cigar.Not having ever smoked cigarettes,I don’t know first hand what it is like to break the habit.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't inhale. Only reason is, pipe tobacco smoke is much stronger to me than cigarette smoke. Oh, I tried. Coughed my lungs out. But for some reason, I really enjoy smoking pipes without inhale.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I inhale my pipe smoke about every two or three puffs. I just like the throat hit, honestly. Plus i gravitate towards stronger tobacco that still tastes good inhaled. My favorite right now is sliced black twist, and i even chop it up and make it into cigarettes for when i don't have time for a pipe or when I'm just in the mood for a cigarette. It's usually two or three a day

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
smoked cigarrettes 2 packs a day for ten years and it affected my breathing. Quit for 7 years and started smoking a pipe the last 7 years and more recently cigars. Im not looking for a nic hit anymore like i did with cigarrettes, but i do like to retrohale through my nose for the flavor... i dont inhale smoke since i got into pipes and cigars

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Still trying to drop the cigs. I go a few days between packs right now. I nose inhale a few times while I smoke the pipe, helps with the craving, keeps me from the nic emergency feeling.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot