PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Geoff

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Wales
Having been a cigarette smoker for many years I find myself inhaling the smoke from any cigar, ciggies, or pipe. Knowing that not all tobacco is blended to be inhaled am I breaking the golden rules of pipe smoking? And is this frowned upon?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Having been a cigarette smoker for many years I find myself inhaling the smoke from any cigar, ciggies, or pipe. Knowing that not all tobacco is blended to be inhaled am I breaking the golden rules of pipe smoking? And is this frowned upon?
No rules against it but I think it's both a bit of a waste and possiby worse for you than cigarettes. I switched to the pipe out of concern for my lungs and while I sometimes inhale a bit of smoke by accident, my lung capacity is much improved, overall. I mean, most pipe tobaccos are made up of the same tobaccos as cigarettes but are treated differently (i.e. casing and topping), so it's not much different than smoking unfiltered cigarettes, I suppose.

Cigars, on the other hand... I really couldn't conceive of inhaling cigars on a regular basis. The strains of black tobacco grown for cigars are not meant to be inhaled and the sheer volume of smoke generated by a puff makes the experience so unpleasant...

I just wouldn't. If you're struggling for nicotine, get some high octane blends and smoke them in big, Chasingembers-sized pipes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I was a cigarette smoker and inhaled a lot of the cigars I smoked. With pipe, I inhale very little which is one of the things I like about it. Couldn't get enough out of a cigar without inhaling. Pipe, don't need to. I doubt anyone can argue inhaling a pipe is better for you medically than not. I'd propose you start consciously attempting to not inhale and see if you're satisfied.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
How do Smurf's relate to inhaling smoke. You know this will result in me making highly un - PC comments about vertically challenged people otherwise known as midgets!

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
Shit man I inhale and get my little buzz and throat hit every several puffs or so. Now I mainly smoke very mellow/lighter blends(alot of newminster navy flake for example). When switching it up a bit to my medium or heavier blends I won't do that so much or at all. If you can inhale a plug comfortably my hat is off to you lol.

• Haha

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
There is really no right or wrong way to enjoy your pipe tobacco. It depends upon what you derive the most pleasure from. In regards to the whole population of pipe smokers, it has been estimated that a relatively small percentage inhale the pipe smoke (I had read about ~20%). It really depends on what YOU like best is the only worthwhile way to answer your query.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
No inhaling for me. I can't imagine that being something i would do or enjoy. Im not looking for a big nic hit when i puff a pipe and to me that is a advantage over cigarettes and even cigars. But you do your own thing. Would be curious if you keep doing it for months or years if any extra side effects.