Info on this pipe - Some sort of Savinelli second?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
My friend had one of his clients give him a bag of about 10 pipes, saying he'd quit pipe smoking for cigarettes. He passed them around during my weekend smoke / hang out on the back patio, offering everyone to take one. I grabbed this one, and I was just curious about it.
I thought it was some sort of Savinelli second judging by the design and model number. After Googling, it seems the stars refer to a grade of quality (1-3 stars) and I saw some 2 stars for sale on eBay. (I suppose this is either at the top or the bottom, depending on how the rankings go.) I was just curious if anyone here had more info.
It's not in terrible shape; after a nice clean up, it should be ready for a smoke.

wtDbbUJ.jpg

atU99ge.jpg

3Pxs3Ue.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Someone gave up pipes in favor of cigarettes? You don't hear that every day! Does that number correspond to a Savinelli number that is the same shape?

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Just to add--I'm normally not lazy about research, so I have searched a bit regarding the "three star" marking, but the problem is that so many pipe sites have rating systems attached to their reviews where you can rate pipes 1-5 stars. So whenever I google, "Savinelli three star", or some permutation thereof, there is an overwhelming amount of results.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Someone gave up pipes in favor of cigarettes? You don't hear that every day! Does that number correspond to a Savinelli number that is the same shape?
I know, right? I bizarre move in my humble opinion.
And yes, the rusticated version of Savinelli 625 KS looks pretty much identical.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm pretty sure it's a Savinelli:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=103391
Also, I wonder if it isn't an Iwan Ries pipe. They sold tons of private label Savinellis back in the 70s (and maybe later). Plus, they have a "Three Star" brand of tobacco.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Looks good! First time I've ever heard of a person putting down the pipe in favor of cigarettes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Come to think of it, I have a late 70s Iwan Ries catalogue with several pages of Savinellis in it. I'll check later to see if any were labeled "Three Star" or "Rust."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The "KS" is also a designation used by Savenelli, though others may use it too. Iwan Ries has gone back to Italian house pipes again in the last year or so, and these may well be Savenelli's though I'm not certain from the shapes or finishes. For years, they sourced house pipes from Edwards/Benton, some really good pipes if you could overlook a few well-finished fills. From overall appearance, I wouldn't have guessed Sav on this pipe, but seeing the shape number and history, I'd go along.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
OK, I finally found that old catalogue (1978). I think it's safe to say it's an Iwan Ries pipe, probably made by Savinelli.
9sI8BkN.jpg

BUj3ITb.jpg

b9mCcvx.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
This is the kind of thing that just keeps things so interesting. I was never a big 'student' of history, going back to when it seemed as if all it was was remembering dates of certain events in human history, more than what the outcomes are, and how they affect us now.

Pipe history gives me a link to the subject at least.

More and more, as I age, I feel less attached to the process of 'busy' and more to the process of reflection.

What luxury!

Status
Not open for further replies.