PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Counterfeiting is a nefarious trade and I’d not buy a pipe I knew, to be a counterfeit.

I’m sitting here after a long day at the office smoking a genuine SON pipe, it’s just not one made by Eric Nording back in the early 1960’s.

Whichever pipe factory made it, was afraid to stamp it as a Nording.

And just now, a gorgeous, obviously bench made high quality pipe with the name obscured, by over polishing, was cancelled by the eBay seller. I’d won ig for $22 plus $3.95 shipping.

Do you buy this explanation?

New message from: phikrum-76 (1,238 Red Star )

HI
I had to cancel your order
While cleaning i noticed a small crack in the end of the shank
If in the future you see another pipe in my shop
I will give you a 20% discount
Just remind me before you pay. Sorry this happened
Phil​

View attachment 102263

So long, Phil, I’ll not be buying more stuff in your shop.:)

But the Ukrainian seller that gave me such a sweet $35 deal on my SON, has this Savinelli for sale for only $150. I think I’ll pass on this, too.

View attachment 102267
I think that the more important distinction is that Briar Lee made so few 5* pipes that they are truly rare by not only today's standards but by the historical standards of even the likes of Sasieni. I personally have wished for an unsmoked 3* so that I could enjoy the true pleasure of that hand-selected briar that only Lee could have made.

Aug 1, 2012
I've been on pipe boards since before the World Wide Web existed.

This Lee type of thing used to be called "carpet bombing".

Being a wonderful way to frustrate---and thereby drive away---serious users, competing forum owners would create bogus accounts and do it to each other upon occasion.

Walking the line is indeed an artform. Posts juuuust (arguably) relevant enough to allow, while nonsensical enough to get people to throw up their hands in frustration and say the hell with this.

Over and over again... No pyrotechnics, no fights, nothing bannable; just slow, constrictor-snake-like suffocation from the endless, barely marginally relevant endlessness.

Me saying this will undoubtedly cause an exponentially greater number of lateral responses than this thread has already had, of course, only expanding the quicksand pit.

It would be funny if it weren't so sad. Truly.
The point is that the one making the assertions that are under dispute appear unflappable while the ones who are generally acknowledged as experts must post several times to try and defend their knowledge. It has worked perfectly here as those who claim to see through it still must post multiple times to maintain their own superiority, however well earned.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

Being a wonderful way to frustrate---and thereby drive away---serious users, competing forum owners would create bogus accounts and do it to each other upon occasion.

Walking the line is indeed an artform. Posts juuuust (arguably) relevant enough to allow, while nonsensical enough to get people to throw up their hands in frustration and say the hell with this.

Over and over again... No pyrotechnics, no fights, nothing bannable; just slow, constrictor-snake-like suffocation from the endless, barely marginally relevant endlessness.

Me saying this will undoubtedly cause an exponentially greater number of lateral responses than this thread has already had, of course, only expanding the quicksand pit.

Try the "ignore" function. It might save you a bullet to the temple, just as it has for me.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Aug 1, 2012

I understand and don't disagree. It's just interesting that it brought both you and I into a discussion that you felt the need to start due to this kind of posting. While we may blame the "instigator", we were both brought in and both posted according to our hearts even though we have "been there before." It's as much our fault as it is the instigator. It takes two to tango as they say.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I understand and don't disagree. It's just interesting that it brought both you and I into a discussion that you felt the need to start due to this kind of posting. While we may blame the "instigator", we were both brought in and both posted according to our hearts even though we have "been there before." It's as much our fault as it is the instigator. It takes two to tango as they say.
The explanation is simpler. I was just giving the guy the benefit of the doubt at first. The pattern has since become clear.

Reactions: captainsousie

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

I’ve only been on this board a month.

What fascinates me is how, much like a piece of art work, a brand new pipe made of great briar (my new SON is a great smoker) with a beautiful vulcanite stem, can be purchased for about $80 or $800 and the difference, is the brand, trademark, and stampings.

If my new White Spot is a machine made wonderment like my SON I’ll be the first to expose it as such.

But I’m just curious why, a regular pipe factory would risk bringing criminal charges for faking a White Spot, and then stamp it NOT FOR SALE, and not Dunhill.

There were maybe 75-100 famously counterfeit Dunhills.

I assume all were stamped as regular Dunhills.

This is intended to be fun.

Otherwise we’d all be stuffy and sour old pipe smokers,:)

• Love
Reactions: telescopes
Aug 1, 2012
The explanation is simpler. I was just giving the guy the benefit of the doubt at first. The pattern has since become clear.
I feel the explanation is similar to my own. It did take a bit of time to figure out. It still does not absolve us of our own part in this. Hell, I've flamed out big on things I thought mattered and at least you didn't have it as bad. Own it.

• Love
Reactions: telescopes

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I think that the more important distinction is that Briar Lee made so few 5* pipes that they are truly rare by not only today's standards but by the historical standards of even the likes of Sasieni. I personally have wished for an unsmoked 3* so that I could enjoy the true pleasure of that hand-selected briar that only Lee could have made.

I’m glad to learn there really was, a man named Lee, who managed somehow to purchase 300 bags of briar from some wartime holding corporation.

I love history, and 1946 was a year where a few men like Lee had faith we’d not return to the Depression.

He was part raconteur, labeling all his pipes “A Limited Edition”.

But as the owner of dozens and dozens of Lee pipes, plus dozens of Kaywoodies, buying a Kaywoodie is risky, unless it has a 4 hole stinger and that stinger is stamped DRINKLESS, and you don’t like them to say imported briar, either. 4 digits are preferred.

When you buy a high condition old pipe that reads Pipe by Lee, that’s a well made pipe with a good piece of briar, and it will be an excellent smoker. Period.

I was reading today about a modern pipe maker that advertises his pipes are oil cured to 410 degrees, then given a “miracle coating”.

Lee didn’t need the coating.

His method of curing briar, is something every briar maker should still do.

Funny, that Lee never advertised that he’d figured out a way to have every pipe smoke on the first smoke, like you’d smoked it a hundred times.

And stranger still, is that pipes with a White Spot made the same era, that cost the same new as Lees, sell for hundreds and thousands, while Lees sell for less than a new Dr Grabow.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer

I disagree with on this one. I am aware who Mr. Lee is and as someone familiar with him and the kinfolk he comes from, he is authentic to the core. There is plenty of room on this forum for Mr. Lee, and @cosmicfolklore - I am just not sure there is room for me.

Cosmic... I couldn't resist....

I prefer a little entertainment with my information.

Plus, all forums have to grow to keep from becoming static.

I now own two Marxman Pipes - ugly m'fers too be sure, and I have a Pipe by Lee three star on its way.

When I clean it up, I'll smoke it.

Ah, will I be impressed by the oil cured briar. Who knows....

But, see, now I have a $15 pipe by a maker I knew NOTHING about before.

Yeh, I know what they say about curiosity...

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I feel the explanation is similar to my own. It did take a bit of time to figure out. It still does not absolve us of our own part in this. Hell, I've flamed out big on things I thought mattered and at least you didn't have it as bad. Own it.
I think I feel the need to salute... Well stated Captain...

Reactions: captainsousie
I disagree with on this one. I am aware who Mr. Lee is and as someone familiar with him and the kinfolk he comes from, he is authentic to the core. There is plenty of room on this forum for Mr. Lee, and @cosmicfolklore - I am just not sure there is room for me.

Cosmic... I couldn't resist....

I prefer a little entertainment with my information.

Plus, all forums have to grow to keep from becoming static.

I now own two Marxman Pipes - ugly m'fers too be sure, and I have a Pipe by Lee three star on its way.

When I clean it up, I'll smoke it.

Ah, will I be impressed by the oil cured briar. Who knows....

But, see, now I have a $15 pipe by a maker I knew NOTHING about before.

Yeh, I know what they say about curiosity...
Don’t bring me into this.
1634089196039.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.