PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Because you can.
You caught my curiosity with the black dot so I took a look. Looks like a custom redo with a frame around what looks like a red dot.
BTW, I've done business with Tobacco Treasures and Fae has been a complete joy to deal with. Highly recommended.
Yes she is. I have a Dunhill I purchased from her, a l967 She’ll for my brother. It was misdelivered and she stood behind the purchase. It showed up eventually and everything worked out.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Stop it folks. Everyone needs to lay off @Briar Lee What he has is a genuine Yokum Arkansas Dunghill. Hmmm. Some people call it a Kaiser Pipe, but here in the Ozarks, we call it a Sling Pipe.

Besides, “I like the way he talks.”
I did fork out a hundred and buy FIVE genuine lead replica Yokum dollars guaranteed authentic from the original die, which was found miraculously in babbling Ozark stream or so the guy claimed. The Lord he claimed, showed him where Yocum hid his die in that stream.

Hs even threw in a freebie for my generosity of buying five lead Yokum silver dollars.

He knew the die was real, because it says

YOKUM SILVER DOLLAR

He said there were lots of counterfeits in the shops in Branson, and you could tell those because they all said

REPLICA YOCUM SILVER DOLLAR

I figure the Lord moves in mysterious ways, and I’ll have the only counterfeit White Spot pipe somebody marked NOT FOR SALE so as to warn everybody it wasn’t a real Dunhill.

If it clears customs, I’ll give a full report.:)

Here’s a $40 generic briar pipe on eBay. It has a brand stamp.

10AB8024-A82A-43E9-85FA-187D96522238.png

Last edited:

telescopes

Because you can.
You caught my curiosity with the black dot so I took a look. Looks like a custom redo with a frame around what looks like a red dot.
BTW, I've done business with Tobacco Treasures and Fae has been a complete joy to deal with. Highly recommended.
Now, everyone knows who has the 7th black spot and where it can be bought. Like a Yokum Silver Dollar, the secret is out.

Reactions: sablebrush52

telescopes

I did fork out a hundred and buy FIVE genuine lead replica Yokum dollars guaranteed authentic from the original die, which was found miraculously in babbling Ozark stream or so the guy claimed. The Lord he claimed, showed him where Yocum hid his die in that stream.

Hs even threw in a freebie for my generosity of buying five lead Yokum silver dollars.

He knew the die was real, because it says

YOKUM SILVER DOLLAR

He said there were lots of counterfeits in the shops in Branson, and you could tell those because they all said

REPLICA YOCUM SILVER DOLLAR

I figure the Lord moves in mysterious ways, and I’ll have the only counterfeit White Spot pipe somebody marked NOT FOR SALE so as to warn everybody it wasn’t a real Dunhill.

If it clears customs, I’ll give a full report.:)
It is a shame we are the only people on this forum who have any clue as to what had been referenced. That said, I did purchase a Pipe by Lee five pointed three star billiard. It looks to be in fairly good shape. Once it arrives, I’ll send it out to be refurbished and give a full report on how it smokes. I also found an interesting new Marxman pipe that has never been smoked but I feel it is a bit pricey. What are tour thoughts.? I wish he I could find a decent seven pointed star Lee.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What makes that approach virtually impossible is that a high percentage of history's uber carvers are either still alive, or, if not, they had plenty of friends, collectors, apprentices, sons, daughters, etc. who are. Meaning there is no shortage of people who can verify the legitimacy of a piece. I've even been involved (peripherally) in such investigations several times.
True, but that fake Jess pipe still sold for $8300 to some schnook who thought he knew better.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Honestly there are a lot of examples of manufacturers who refuse to "dilute the brand" with a seconds line. For example, while the Fender company makes guitars ranging from the $200 Squier to the $8,000, the Rickenbacker company has refused to make a "seconds" line for many decades. Consequently, the resale value of a Fender custom shop guitar is a fraction of its retail price while a used Rickenbacker will resell for close to or exceeding retail. There are many other examples but higher end goods work on a different philosophy than middle-level consumer goods.

Understood but a Rickenbacker isn't dependent on a single piece of wood that has minimal chances of turning out right. They can easily swap out parts so if the neck isn't right, they can transfer the base to another neck. Dunhill did have seconds lines for years. I'm just curious as to what their new system is.

Since Barling harvested their wood for many years, rather than buying through brokers, it wouldn't surprise me if they also sold off "lesser" wood to other makers.

This makes much more sense to me as a business model.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The endless speculations about the forgery of goods by people who do not understand, and therefore appreciate, the technical aspects in play are endlessly entertaining.

I'll cut to the chase with forgery as it impacts the PipeWorld.

Pipes aren't worth enough for convincing forgeries to EXIST. The end.

Watches, paintings, sculpture, stamps, coins, and so forth certainly can be, but pipes? No.

Sotheby's and Christies don't even bother with them. Pipes don't bring in enough to be worth their time.

Which then makes clear that if someone had the ability to convincingly replicate a given high grade pipe, he'd have the necessary skills to make pipes under his own name... and make more money without risk.

Copying something to a high enough standard to fool experts is excrutiatingly exacting in every field, for technical reasons. In the PipeWorld it is literally impossible without extensive experimentation, special tools and techniques, etc. None of which are necessary when creating pipes under your own brand. Then, you can do anything you want any way you want, and charge whatever you want for it.

So. The only "forgeries" out there are of the Nigerian Scam type, which appeal to "low information" buyers.

The only exception to this are some "fake" Dunhills that are forgeries only in a technical sense. Made in the 1980's by some disgruntled shop workers who made pipes after hours and pocketed them to sell on their own. Authentic Dunhill materials, made in the Dunhill shop, and produced by legit Dunhill staffers... but they were not authorized production.

Ironically (and entertainingly), today, they are worth quite a bit more for being so. What gives them away? As much time as necessary was taken to produce them---no "assembly line style" workstation timer hurried things along---so they are BETTER specimens than normal output in telling ways. [now that's funny rat thar, don't care who yar... :ROFLMAO: ]
and since those sneak factory works didn't have to lay out cash just time they could afford to not have a higher turn over rate. They weren't sinking the same kind of investment they just had to make enough to justify time i.e. wages plus something more.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Reactions: peregrinus

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yes, I was intrigued enough to buy it, for a discounted price.

I’ve spent a lifetime making a living assessing the credibility of statements..

If this man is mistaken, I’ve gained a wonderful curiosity of what might be the only known counterfeit of a luxury item where the counterfeiter deliberately prevented it from being passed off as genuine.

But I’m expecting a “lunch box special” Dunhill. That’s the simplest explanation.

—-

Here I am offering a rather weird Dunhill. This must be a sample from the factory that was possibly given to the employees. Maybe a Dunhill expert can enlighten me.

Dunhill "Not for Sale".

This is a Group 5 Bruyere, so it's a pretty big bucket, in a what I believe Smooth Walnut finish with a 6mm filter. It only has a stamp "Not For Sale", but it is unmistakably a Dunhill in terms of shape and quality of workmanship (anyone who has ever screwed the stem out of a Dunnie and back in again can feel it).

The condition is ready to smoke, the mouthpiece has a minimal bite mark and the bite is very thin, I suspect the previous owner filed it a bit.

Nevertheless, a beautiful, extraordinary pipe.

—-

It’s cleared customs in Mannheim Germany.

How the heck did a White Spot pipe get from England over to Germany?

Did a soldier bring it, then leave it behind?

FRAULEIN

When it arrives I’ll be trying to falsify that White Dot as a forgery.

If the White Spot is real, the rest of the pipe was a “lunch box special”.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yeah I know, you think you bought a Dunhill. You didn't. The White Spot is practically irrelevant, as it is commonly done and easily done. The details of the pipe construction (as made on Dunhill machinery) would tell a deeper story. But as George has attested and I will second, having handled and refurbished many a Dunhill, that pipe you bought isn't a Dunhill, it's obvious at a glance to anyone with any experience with these pipes. There's a hundred construction details that all Dunhills show because they've been made the same for 100 years. That pipe won't show 'em. Mortise will be wrong. Tenon wrong. Slot wrong. The shape is already wrong, the stem wrong, the finish wrong, and yet you persist. You'll find no "evidence" because you haven't a fucking clue what you're looking for and won't accept anything at all as evidence against your silly story.

If you want to buy a fake Dunhill, at least buy one that looks like a Dunhill.

kQhNQu9.jpg

telescopes

@Briar Lee

You are a litigator. This is what you do. You announce a proposition and then you defend it. Your arguments and all of the data you collect are predicated to supporting your proposition. You defend your proposition and create the essence of reasonable doubt to anything contrary so that your proposition is more than a supposition; You propose that proposition could be fact. But if not a fact, it is a proposition that can be construed as possibly being a fact given certain circumstances.

The problem with your argument is that it is a supposition built on a proposition based on a point of view biased in your own experiences and tethered only by your own constructs to a universe of your own making.

It is religion and you are its apostle.

But that is perfectly fine.

You spin a good yarn and in the suspension of disbelief, I have enjoyed your fables and mythos of the late Lee.

So much so that I have indeed purchased not just a Pipe by Lee Three Star, but a briar lee as well.

I hope they smoke well.

Keep writing .

But more importantly, keep litigating.

I am sure if I get a ticket while parking in a zone previously reserved only for special deliveries of fireworks in the town of Humansville, I will hire you to litigate that ticket...

Hell, I would pay just to hear you spin a yarn to the judge why I should not be held liable for the price of ticket, but that the deputy who wrote the ticket should somehow be held responsible for paying me for my inconvienance of having to show up in court.

Why? Because I could have been on my back porch smoking my Pipe by Lee.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I think it's disingenuous and dangerous to the community to promote myths, to twist bullshit into "possibility", and to obscure and obfuscate rather than search for truth and clarity.

Reactions: twoonefive

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yeah I know, you think you bought a Dunhill. You didn't. The White Spot is practically irrelevant, as it is commonly done and easily done. The details of the pipe construction (as made on Dunhill machinery) would tell a deeper story. But as George has attested and I will second, having handled and refurbished many a Dunhill, that pipe you bought isn't a Dunhill, it's obvious at a glance to anyone with any experience with these pipes. There's a hundred construction details that all Dunhills show because they've been made the same for 100 years. That pipe won't show 'em. Mortise will be wrong. Tenon wrong. Slot wrong. The shape is already wrong, the stem wrong, the finish wrong, and yet you persist. You'll find no "evidence" because you haven't a fucking clue what you're looking for and won't accept anything at all as evidence against your silly story.

If you want to buy a fake Dunhill, at least buy one that looks like a Dunhill.

kQhNQu9.jpg
Please stay with me.

When this arrives I’ll take photos of every single thing that would cause this pipe to be a fake.

Two things intrigue me.

The seller claims it’s a high quality pipe.

And if it’s fake, then why not stamp it Dunhill?

Stamping it NOT FOR SALE without Dunhill stamps under it, meant only a hillbilly lawyer who shaves with Occam’s Razor every day, might buy it, and then for a dime on the dollar.

Occam's razor - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

If a Dunhill employee was headed off to Germany, might he not have taken a “lunch box special” with him?

Then some German later on, knows it’s weird but buys it anyway.

Or we could have, a half honest forger.

Talented enough to forge a high quality pipe, but too honest to pass it off as a genuine Dunhill.

Or maybe he thought that might salve his conscience, and he never intended it be for sale.

We’ll see.

By the way, I can tell a Pipe Maker is a Lee because I’ve handed so many Lees.

I’ve never picked up a Dunhill, though.

I need an expert on Dunhills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.