PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I have seen a few articles about people creating "Infinity Bottles" out of different spirits.(whiskey, or rum) Taking the last few ounces of a bottle and adding it to a common bottle and creating a unique blend.

I know that I, and many other pipe smokers have "infinity jars" where we take the dregs of a tin and add it to a common jar and create blend from leftovers. I labeled mine "blend X"

Just thought it was interesting how the two hobbies overlap in this specific respect.

Does anyone have any interesting stories or methods about building their infinity jars?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I can’t imagine doing this. I follow the one drop rule for many blend types and Lakelands, as I do for poop and water:

A Lakeland blend with a little chunk of Virginia flake is a Lakeland blend.

A Virginia Flake with a little chunk of Lakeland thrown in is also a Lakeland blend.

I would need about six little jars to properly categorize any leftovers, at which point it seems like a different thing.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Its like eating steak and making sure you don't run out of fries before the meat is done. I try to make a tin run out with a bowl

but I'm equally happy to dump dregs into another jar or just dilute a tobacco I wasn't enamored with into some Cavendish etc even if i've already mixed it with something else

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Yes. It's labelled "Misc English" and it's in a large sample jar. The Teflon lined lid isn't the best at keeping all moisture in, but the contents are thus always at optimal smoking moisture. Thus, I do reach for it when I've forgotten to lay something else out. I'll occasionally seed it with some lackluster bulk latakia blend (Lane Perfect English, for instance) and extra bits of Va and VaPers get tossed in over the course of a few months.
IMG_5143.JPG

jerryskid47

Lurker
Feb 20, 2020
Washington DC
I bought a good amount of tobacco of a guy who was getting out of pipe smoking. In the package was a gallon bag with a loose blend in it. He threw it in as a freebie and said his buddy made the blend out of extra stuff he had lying around and he has no idea exactly what it is. I named it, “Boogatch” and it is tremendous. I am fearing the day I run out of it because it’ll be gone forever.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have two scraps jars. One is ‘burley bomb’. The other is ‘RIP-6’ and is where all my other leftover leaf goes. As I don’t normally take out more tobacco than required, I have been know to top these up with bulk blends to keep a somewhat consistent style of scraps. Currently the RIP-6 is heavy on Latakia, orientals and goopy dark choc aromatics.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Loving all of the responses. I think I am going to experiment with the idea a little more intentionally and maybe make a melange of pure VA leaf from my favorite straight VA blends. I kind of like the idea of have a unique blend that will never be exactly the same because of varying amounts etc.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Not a high volume smoker here, but I like what I like, and it cover the spectrum. Love sampling “down the rabbit hole” of blends recommended as “if you like x, try y”. A few specs less than half a bowl just gets pitched, unless I liked it and ordered more - then the remains would join his friends in the same jar...or something substantially the same...?

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I have long had an "Odds of the Ends" jar, and tend to take it out and shake (or roll) the contents around maybe every week or so. It's an ever-changing (however slowly) blend that is sometimes "ehhhh..." and sometimes "wow!" I have recently added a second such jar, restricted to latakia-bearing blends, but it has yet to contain enough to smoke and have anything left over.

Reactions: solideogloria86
Status
Not open for further replies.