PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Some of you may remember my experiment with growing tobacco indoors last winter. I'm going for it again. Last year I was able to grow a plant to flower under low power led lights. My yield was awful due to the low humidity in my apartment and lots of leaves drying green. Was still able to get about 6-7 bowls worth of smokable tobacco. Once again I'm growing a rustica variety. Plan to keep this updated every week or two if anyone is interested again.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Interesting ... is it a pilot project, do you plan on planting more outside come spring?

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Interesting ... is it a pilot project, do you plan on planting more outside come spring?
I do plan on planting some outside come spring as long as I can find a place to do so. I live in an apartment. I grew up working on tobacco farms so shouldnt have no problem with that.

What variety of tobacco are you growing?
It's a rustica variety, aztec I think

It's a rustica variety, aztec I think
Duh, I read that, and forgot by the time I read the other posts. Looks good. Do your leaves get large under artificial lighting? I get leaves over two feet long and over a foot wide outside. I am just wondering if the artificial lights are giving it what the plants need to reach their potential. I have a small greenhouse, but I have never tried to grow tobacco through the winter, except to start seedlings. I have heard of guys growing two plants on apartment patios that get enough to roll a cigar once a month.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
It's Virginia Bright Leaf plants. They are about 3-1/2' to 4' tall. I started them at the end of May. The bottom leaves are turning yellow.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Duh, I read that, and forgot by the time I read the other posts. Looks good. Do your leaves get large under artificial lighting? I get leaves over two feet long and over a foot wide outside. I am just wondering if the artificial lights are giving it what the plants need to reach their potential. I have a small greenhouse, but I have never tried to grow tobacco through the winter, except to start seedlings. I have heard of guys growing two plants on apartment patios that get enough to roll a cigar once a month.
Last year they did not get as big as it should have, maybe a foot long by 6-8 inches. But like I said I was only using those cheap clip on led lights used for seedlings the whole time and this year I've been hinting that a want an actual real led grow light for xmas. So I can really amp up the lights this go round. During summer I grow hot peppers on my patio and then convert them down to bonchi during fall and over winter them. I just like growing useable plants and this is something to keep my occupied during the winter. I did put out 2 burley plants and a rustica last year at a friends house but bugs ate them up fast.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Just another update. I moved it to a larger pot. And have been removing all suckers as soon as they appear. Here's a pic with a bic lighter for size reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.