PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
After waiting so long to get my Grousemoor on and just having my second bowl my reaction is a bit meh. I suppose I was expecting to feel adoration or disgust but was greeted with a slight indifference. Don’t get me wrong I found it enjoyable enough and really dug the tin note but no much else. Perhaps I need to go higher up on the Lakeland scale?

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know Lakelands much, but I find most blends take a little learning, aromatic or otherwise, nearly any leaf or blend. You went with expectations, and they weren't met, but what else is there? Often when you come back to a blend that didn't click, you discover something more, and occasionally it is appealing. After five or six bowls, if it shows you nothing more, jar it and try again in a year or so, and it could well be a whole new day. At that time, if nothing surfaces, try mixing another blend or a condiment and see if that picks it up. Rarely, something is a hit right off, but usually a little experience helps.

Jan 27, 2020
I don't know Lakelands much, but I find most blends take a little learning, aromatic or otherwise, nearly any leaf or blend. You went with expectations, and they weren't met, but what else is there? Often when you come back to a blend that didn't click, you discover something more, and occasionally it is appealing. After five or six bowls, if it shows you nothing more, jar it and try again in a year or so, and it could well be a whole new day. At that time, if nothing surfaces, try mixing another blend or a condiment and see if that picks it up. Rarely, something is a hit right off, but usually a little experience helps.

Yes, I get that and have that approach to most blends but with Grousemoor’s love or hate reputation I expected a more extreme reaction on my part.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Yes, I get that and have that approach to most blends but with Grousemoor’s love or hate reputation I expected a more extreme reaction on my part.
Some folks are wusses and swoon from highly sensitive to any hint of Lakeland. A lot of the reviews come from those folks. In fact, however, Grousemoor is a pretty light example of the genre and the floral topping is but a small component of its flavor. I think it's around 3 to 4 on a Lakeland scale of 10. You'll need to smoke more bowls to get the nuances. It's OK not to like it or get it. But you probably know that already.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Often when you come back to a blend that didn't click, you discover something more,

I feel that. I have had a similar experience with another Samuel Gawith blend: 1792 ... I did smoke about half a tin, going in with high expectations, and punishing myself in an attempt to finish the whole thing. I have ended up jaring the darn thing, and it has been in there for more than a year. I have yet to find the disposition to try it again - it was simply overwhelming. On top of the flakes I believe I threw in a few strands of cunnington plug, which also enede up being to spicy for me, but at least this one was tasty even if unbearably strong. Brown no 4 got 1/2 smoked, 1/4 gifted to another forum member, and the last ended up as a condiment for I can't remember which aromatic blend - at least that was a positive experience.

This made me curios ... maybe it is time for going back to that 1972 ... I have been meaning to try Grousemoore for years now, but for some odd reason I keep on postponing it, maybe because I have too many lakelands on hand, who knows? Or perhaps it is because of threads like this and many more that I have read over the years ..

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Using Grousemoor as your initial verdict on lakelands is a bit of a skewed experiment I think. It has maybe a 3-6 on a flavour potency scale, but as far as specific flavour it actually has its own thing going on and I find it quite apart from the other lakeland blends. I can tell it is from Lakeland I guess, but still it is quite a unique flavour to its self.

Reactions: rajangan
Jan 27, 2020
Using Grousemoor as your initial verdict on lakelands is a bit of a skewed experiment I think. It has maybe a 3-6 on a flavour potency scale, but as far as specific flavour it actually has its own thing going on and I find it quite apart from the other lakeland blends. I can tell it is from Lakeland I guess, but still it is quite a unique flavour to its self.

I never implied that and regularly smoke Bob’s.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I just ordered another tin of Grousemoor earlier today. I find it a nice mild aromatic with a unique flavour. Not to heavy neither in flavour nor lady N potency but perfect for a long slow smoke in a deep chambered pipe on a sunny day.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I never implied that and regularly smoke Bob’s.
But I read it with implications, therefore you must have implied! Don't you know the rules of the internet???? haha. Bobs is my favourite by the way, and with that in mind I would recommend (if you have not already tried) both the brown flake with liquorice (more likely to be in stock than straight brown flake and the liquorice is minimal) and rum flake. Then Ennerdale for a louder aromatic flavouring.

Jan 27, 2020
But I read it with implications, therefore you must have implied! Don't you know the rules of the internet???? haha. Bobs is my favourite by the way, and with that in mind I would recommend (if you have not already tried) both the brown flake with liquorice (more likely to be in stock than straight brown flake and the liquorice is minimal) and rum flake. Then Ennerdale for a louder aromatic flavouring.

I’ll check out the Rum Flake, licorice is too close in taste to anise (to me) and had bad experiences drinking too much pastis, raki etc. on a couple occasions...

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I’ll check out the Rum Flake, licorice is too close in taste to anise (to me) and had bad experiences drinking too much pastis, raki etc. on a couple occasions...
I understand that. I have a 'special' relationship with Jagermeister due to an unpleasant episode which leaves me feeling queasy if I even glance at the deer on the bottle while standing in line waiting to pay for my whisky.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
where as Bob's left me meh. I finished what I bought but... was not intrigued. Went on the not buying that again list.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I'm sorry to say I am in the category of extreme dislike of Grousemoor. This year I've been trying blends I've always wanted to try, but never got around to. Some wonderful discoveries, and some duds. The funny thing about this blend, is that I can see how others would like it. It definitely has a unique flavor. It kind of reminds me of Earl Grey tea maybe, with some floral notes or something? I'm not sure if that is what others get, but it just didn't work for me.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
where as Bob's left me meh. I finished what I bought but... was not intrigued. Went on the not buying that again list.
It is a good thing there are as many blends as palettes available! I always recommend jarring up and stashing away the rest of a tin if it does not do it for you. This week I came back to some balkan flake that was just far too heavy in flavour for me in 2012...it was delicious! and I have another 2012 tin I was going to trade away but will now hold onto.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It is a good thing there are as many blends as palettes available! I always recommend jarring up and stashing away the rest of a tin if it does not do it for you. This week I came back to some balkan flake that was just far too heavy in flavour for me in 2012...it was delicious! and I have another 2012 tin I was going to trade away but will now hold onto.
Balkan flake sounds good. Though I don't have much of a cellar. Less then four pounds in jars and a few tins that are either almost done or ready to get opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.