PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
I have recently gotten into the habit of stopping for some paan every week or so. You know, that's that Indian thing of tobacco, areca nut, spices and such wrapped in a betel leaf which you chew on. The areca nut and tobacco ones are sort of interesting but sort of nasty and unhealthy, I still buy them but usually eject them from my mouth within 15mins, with a slight buzz. I prefer the sweet variety, flavored with rose water (for example), spices and such. I actually find it very enjoyable to have a bowl sometime afterwards as the flavors tend to linger on the palate and color the tobacco a bit.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have recently gotten into the habit of stopping for some paan every week or so. You know, that's that Indian thing of tobacco, areca nut, spices and such wrapped in a betel leaf which you chew on. The areca nut and tobacco ones are sort of interesting but sort of nasty and unhealthy, I still buy them but usually eject them from my mouth within 15mins, with a slight buzz. I prefer the sweet variety, flavored with rose water (for example), spices and such. I actually find it very enjoyable to have a bowl sometime afterwards as the flavors tend to linger on the palate and color the tobacco a bit.
that stuff is really rough on you. Frankly the risk to reward ratio on it's terrible. At least crack gets you high. Seriously would heavily advise against using that stuff when you can dip snuff and drink some coffee and have almost no chance of having a terrible health outcome. Whatever it's your face but the way the areca nut damage the tissue in the mouth it makes the smoking the pipe afterwards far worse for you since it's already going to be notably damaged. Again do what you want but I wouldn't recommend making a habit out of it.

Reactions: SoddenJack
Jan 27, 2020
that stuff is really rough on you. Frankly the risk to reward ratio on it's terrible. At least crack gets you high. Seriously would heavily advise against using that stuff when you can dip snuff and drink some coffee and have almost no chance of having a terrible health outcome. Whatever it's your face but the way the areca nut damage the tissue in the mouth it makes the smoking the pipe afterwards far worse for you since it's already going to be notably damaged. Again do what you want but I wouldn't recommend making a habit out of it.

Well, I barely use the areca nut ones, and agree. The others are harmless aside from the sugar.

Reactions: anotherbob
Jan 27, 2020
the others are basically candy I bet you could harm yourself with them but it would take some real work. That said I'd give it a try out of curiosity.

Yea, tell that to the dentist! But believe me, the lingering chewed spice pods and such add a different element to pipe smoking after. Reminds me a bit of the 6photo snuffs I've tried.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Never had them though they were quite common growing up in Malaysia. The red spit from the areca nut chewers is quite gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.