PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I notice most Americans, nearly all, refer to today's holiday as the fourth of July. I often do too. When I can catch myself I try to refer to it as Independence Day, to better capture the spirit of the day.

Do you have any thoughts or opinions on which term is better, or which you prefer?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I prefer the term Independence Day, as that’s what the holiday is. I don’t call Christmas December 25th.

It doesn’t make me mad when people say “Fourth of July”; in fact, I use it to refer to the date, as in “do y’all want to come over on the Fourth?” I just try not to use it to reference the holiday itself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe July Fourth became more used as people in the U.S. became aware of the many Independence Days around the world referring to the many colonies which separated themselves from their former ruling countries. July 4, or Fourth of July, capsulizes which country was becoming independent.

Reactions: homesteader

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If July 4th is a celebration of the independence from British rule, then to me it should indeed be called 'Independence Day' and enjoyed to the full. Why on earth would it be anything else?

We too have our Independence Day inasmuch as when we escaped from the clutches of the Federation Of European States aka the United States Of Europe ?

Regards,

Jay.?

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Myself, I don't really care. Nor do my cats. Lots of high-altitude Christmasy multi-color flashbangs going off from the church parking lot behind our house. The felines are under the bed!

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
We just say the more economical "July 4th" around here.

Then again, I'm from the American south and, outside of booze and sex, we like to make short work of most things.

Status
Not open for further replies.