Increasing a Blend's Nicotine Content Without Altering the Flavor?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
3 Fresh Emiliano Pipes
3 Fresh Abe Herbaugh Pipes
72 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Some recent posts in the TAD Pick-Ups thread got me wondering, is there a particular tobacco that would be a good mixer to increase a blend's nicotine content without altering the flavor?

For my specific use case I really love the flavor Cult Blood Red Moon, but I am admittedly a nicotine addict and often like to smoke a pipe as a replacement for cigarettes; and unfortunately I find Blood Red Moon to be completely devoid of nicotine to the point that I'm practically tearing my hair out jonesing for a cigarette by the time I finish a pipe of it.

It doesn't much nicotine to make me happy, even blends on the lighter side of medium like Mac Baren Vanilla Cream and Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening do the trick for me, I'd just like to find something to add to Blood Red Moon to boost the Vitamin N content a bit without altering the flavor too much.

I was thinking some Burley blending varietal from Cornell & Diehl like White Burley or Cube Cut Burley might be the ticket, but I could definitely use some recommendations!

Reactions: kcghost and MattRVA

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Autumn Evening is actually pretty strong… the leaf used in Autumn Evening is the Red Virginia Cavendish and I’d recommend mixing that in, also white burley, Maryland or 5 Brothers to add strength without much flavor.

Reactions: Skippy B. Coyote
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Larger bowl or a nic patch wont change the flavor 1 bit. But kidding aside, you could try to do a deep dive to see what the main component is of said blend, in this case (CBRM), I'm pretty sure it's burley and cavendish, so you could try small portions of C&D cube cut burley and see how that treats you. You could try other types like Haunted Bookshop or Old Joe Krantz just to see if the added perique adds a nice sweet and spicy to your bowl.

All that said, it might be quite fun toying with different blends to see if you find a REAL winner. I would try adding blends that you already have before you go buying new ones just to try for this experiment. Also, I might suggest smoking your mixes in a smaller bowl, just in case it's a 1 puff "NOPE!".

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I’ve never tried this, but some people swear by parfait packing the top 1/2 - 2/3 of the bowl with Five Brothers on top of whatever you want your main tobacco flavor to be.

Reactions: PaulRVA

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
Not sure adding an additional, more potent tobacco wouldn't change the flavor at least a little bit. I'll piggyback @TheIronMonkey's suggestion and opt for liquid nicotine in the strength of your preference. But, who knows; perhaps adding another tobacco will be a happy accident and alter the flavors in your favor, thus creating a more enjoyable smoke in both strength and flavor?

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I've found that smoking low nicotine blends with a fat pinch of Copenhagen in my mouth corrects any perceived nicotine deficit. I think that doesn't well answer the posed question, however.

Reactions: Ghosted Tamper

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm no chemist and I'm not a fan of having propylene glycol on my pipe tobaccos so I think I'll pass on the liquid nicotine route, but I will try picking up some samples of blending components on my next SmokingPipes order! I already know that Red Virginia Cavendish tends to be pretty irritating on my throat so I'll try Cornell & Diehl's White Burley and Cube Cut Burley as well as a pouch of 5 Brothers and see if any of them blend well with Blood Red Moon. They're not expensive to try so I think it'll be worth a go.puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Warning about liquid nicotine. Know what you are doing and specific in how you dilute that stuff. At concentrated level, it's poisonous.
on that statement. The ways we ingest nicotine are super horribly inefficient the percentage we get from a cigarette is a tiny shaving of what's in the tobacco. It's a very strong substance and the difference between a blend that feels nothing and head spinning is pretty tiny.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm no chemist and I'm not a fan of having propylene glycol on my pipe tobaccos so I think I'll pass on the liquid nicotine route, but I will try picking up some samples of blending components on my next SmokingPipes order! I already know that Red Virginia Cavendish tends to be pretty irritating on my throat so I'll try Cornell & Diehl's White Burley and Cube Cut Burley as well as a pouch of 5 Brothers and see if any of them blend well with Blood Red Moon. They're not expensive to try so I think it'll be worth a go.puffy
Five Bros will definitely get you there. But take care mixing. It's a very stringy shag cut, so mixing it together will well take a minute to get right.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I also think mixing in a blending burley would be the way to go. Burley is useful to blenders as it not only adds nicotine/ strength to a blend, but it also absorbs flavors from casings and toppings very well. So, if it were up to me, I would create a mix of CBRM and blending burley and press it, giving it a few weeks to meld together, allowing the burley to soak up some of the aromatic flavor.
The first time I tried CBRM I found the flavor to be a little too strong for my taste. So I did just this, mixed it with other tobaccos to dilute the flavor a bit. And I found that the flavor is strong enough that it doesn't dilute easily. So I think, even after mixing, you should still get enough of the CBRM taste you enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll echo the recommendation on Five Brothers. It won't change the flavor that much, and it will deliver a nicotine hit. It's all-purpose and inexpensive.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I prefer to just smoke blends as they come. If I don’t want a big nicotine hit I’ll smoke something lighter. If I want something with more nicotine I might light up a stronger burley or va/per. My go-to blend is Pegasus because of the taste and its medium-level nicotine content. I generally don’t smoke blends with no nicotine and that might be something you end up doing in the long run. There’s nothing wrong with adding five brothers or c&d burley bulks to raise the nicotine content of a blend you enjoy though.

Reactions: Skippy B. Coyote