PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Well I know the wax is penetrating. When I did my application I put a layer of wax on the warm pipe and then held it to the heat. The pipe soaked up the wax completely and returned to a dull look after 20 seconds of heat. I repeated this about 5 times and it kept soaking it up. It started to take it up at a slightly slower rate and I didn't want to over do it. So I stopped there. My colour hasn't faded at all since doing that. It slightly changes during the course of a smoke but it returns to it's same coloured state it retains when cold.
It’d be interesting to weigh the pipe before, wipe off all surface wax after waxing, then re-weigh.

Reactions: BROBS

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Here was the theory I posted last time

Thanks for the link.
Sectioning an unsmoked but freshly waxed stummel would be interesting to see how far the wax penetrates. Probably hard to find volunteers for that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I agree. My belief is that oils and other compounds migrate through the meer and are primarily responsible for the coloring. Being an engineer I’d like to see evidence. Belief isn’t knowing, it’s just belief.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Embers, that answers the question.

Yes, seems pretty definitive. Colors from the inside out.

Meerschaum is quite porous, and can hold twice its weight in water- or absorbed tars over time.

As to wax inducing color, complete BS. When you first apply wax- a colossal waste of time- the color deepens. Exactly as running water over the meer for a bit does. But both start to fade- with water, almost immediately, and with wax over a week or two.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks for the link.
Sectioning an unsmoked but freshly waxed stummel would be interesting to see how far the wax penetrates. Probably hard to find volunteers for that.
I have an unsmoked strummel that I have used for testing (soaking in water, alcohol, bleach for testing) that I would gladly send to someone who wants to wax it (checking weight before and after) and then cut in half to check for penetration... -jeff

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
[QUOTE="chasingembers, post: 3609357

I just received a well colored strummel if you are interested in cutting it in half and posting pictures...

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
The answer to “why” is buried in the following why questions

1. Why did humanoid apes started to walk in two feet?
2. Why did cavemen drew paintings in the cave walls?
3. Why did Alexander cut the Gordian knot?
4. Why did we sent men to the moon?

As a species human beings have been naturally curious, have always tried to solve problems by lateral thinking, and not being content with what they have.

1584951665499.png
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it really makes me wonder

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes, seems pretty definitive. Colors from the inside out.

Meerschaum is quite porous, and can hold twice its weight in water- or absorbed tars over time.

As to wax inducing color, complete BS. When you first apply wax- a colossal waste of time- the color deepens. Exactly as running water over the meer for a bit does. But both start to fade- with water, almost immediately, and with wax over a week or two.
wait so it works in the same way waxing a floor or burnishing a waxed floor would at least as far as appearance and aesthetics go.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not sure what you're saying, bob. A fresh coat of wax will bring color to the fore, but it dissipates.

If you like the aesthetics of a waxed pipe, go for it. I'd rather have the look of a clean natural meer that is colored over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.