In Search Of New Meer, Are Andreas Bauer Meerschaum Pipes Expensive?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm on a search for a new meerschaum that I plan to put a lot of money into for what I want. I've really been wanting one with a silver spigot and an amber stem. Nothing fancy, just a simple profile, probably just a billiard style and I've stumbled across a brand that I haven't heard of, but thought that it looks exactly like what I want.
It's an Andreas Bauer block meerschaum with a silver spigot stem. It's pricey. Very pricey. I wanted to gain some other perspective about it because I haven't found the same elements in other pipes that this one has. It's a lot of money and I'm just curious if it's worth it.
s-l400.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Okay, well, I reckon what I'm asking then, is if they're worth the price point of around $700 for what it is? For me, that's expensive, but it means I get exactly what I want and have really been looking for, then maybe it's something I'm willing to buy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It all depends on what you are willing to spend. IMP with their non screw in mortise inserts are the way I would go, but like I said, if your heart is set on a Bauer, go for it. I've been known to drop a grand on a pipe or two and have no regrets for it.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well there's are nice. I've looked at them, but what I'm really digging is the sterling spigot mount and the amber stem. I mean, if I found something just like it for $100 I'd buy it, but that ain't how this game works.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
IMP with their non screw in mortise inserts are the way I would go
Yes. Then take the rest of the money and buy tobacco to age and smoke it while you watch the meer color. Just sayin... :D

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Andreas Bauer are top shelf, especially if you're going spigot. You're not getting any of that from Turkey, unless you spend the $$$. You like it, buy it. I have a spigot Peterson I paid just sub $500. Does is smoke better than any of my Aldens? No. But it doesn't look of feel like any other pipe I own.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
According to pipedia, Bauer merged with Koncak Meerschaum of Turkey prior to 1990.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Bauer
That looks like a very nice meer...but very expensive.
You could get a really nice Baki for less than that...maybe 2 really nice Bakis. At least you used to be able to, but I haven't seen any new ones for sale lately. I'm beginning to wonder if he's retired or something.
But I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of it. As others have said, if you want it bad enough...go for it.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
IMP with their non screw in mortise inserts are the way I would go
Speaking of IMP, I happened to be looking at some the last couple of days...and normally I would prefer white, but this red reverse calabash is so awesome I've been sorely tempted.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IMP-Meerschaum-Pipe-Lapin-RC-Reverse-Calabash-in-Pocket-Case-i1599/142939186583?hash=item2147d6e597:g:RtIAAOSwbn9bnJh8:sc:USPSPriority!85202!US!-1

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I can buy it and still keep food on the table. The cost was not as much the question as much as the cost for what the pipe was. I just wanted to make sure that if I buy this AB, that the money would be well spent.
As I said, I have been wanting a meer with a spigot, and in a straight, simple shape. Nothing fancy, so it just shocked me when I saw the price. I know a silver spigot adds money, and I'm good with that, because it's what I want. I just really wanted to make sure that it wasn't a bloated price for something I could get somewhere else, but I can't seem to locate anything that has the silver mount in such a simple, smooth shape. Everything seems to have some lattice carving, or is bent, or doesn't have the silver spigot. I reckon an AB is where it's at to get what I want.
By the way, Brian, that's one sharp looking pipe. It'd have me thinking too.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
I would also have a look at cor pipes, he is a carver active on instagram. I have read that new AB pipes have little to do with the original bramd, they are basically turkish made now. Which is not bad perse, I guess it is like comparing a family era barling to a new one.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Matt, first of all, great looking pipe.
Secondly, will it smoke better than XYZ pipe? That's all up to you.
I only have one meer, a Strambach. I'm not sure the relationship between the two but Bauer and Strambach always seem to come up together. Mine is a cultured meer and might be my favorite pipe. If you can afford it, and if you like it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I'm a little biased towards anything Austrian, but I'm sure that pipe will serve you well for many years.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
@bazungu, yeah, I think I read that on pipedia when I did a quick search for AB to see if was a good brand/carver, etc. I'm not exactly keen on the idea that they've basically been taken over by a Turkish company, but then again, who better than a Turkish company to take it over? Just feels like most of the money is going towards the name of a man that ain't even carving it.
Basically, I want a meer that looks like the image I posted. If I can get one of high quality, with a sterling mount, and amber stem for half the price of the AB, I'd do it.
I mean, the way I see it, would be like any of you that have ever wanted a certain pipe and want that look for the pipe. It does no good to buy something similar or close to what you want because you'll just be out the money you spent getting close and still want the pipe that costs more.
Thanks Mike. I know it might not smoke any better. I've come to the conclusion that once you get over about a few hundred bucks, any additional dollar price over that is just window dressing, but the window dressing I want is a sterling silver mount with an amber stem. I don't even want a carving, just something smooth and in a very basic shape. I think I may have heard or seen the Strambach name in my searches.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
It is a nice looking pipe. I have never bought a Meerschaum pipe with any kind of inlay...I am just wondering if a piece of metal should be connected to any meerschaum part. Hopefully you would have a clear pass for a pipe cleaner without taking it apart. 700 is mighty steep, no matter how much I make. I am strictly a SMS and CAO fan mainly because I like to have a lot of pipes. The 2 makers have served me well over the years. If I had that kind of money I would buy about 5 different Meers and use the rest of the money to buy 2-3 troy ounces of 99.999% Silver blocks and use them as a pipe stand. :rofl:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
@Workman, yeah, that's a little similar. I feel like I kind of want new though, myself. I have really enjoyed watching the one meer I already have change from bright white to a little color here and there. It's kind of exciting to watch. If it weren't for that, I'd definitely be okay with buying estate.
I know...$700 does seem like a lot. I don't know how fast they move inventory, but I'll likely hang on and keep looking for a while before I purchase one. I'm even surprising myself that I'd be willing to spend that much on a pipe, but with meers, you can smoke them and smoke them and smoke them over and over before they need a rest. I like that about them. I love that you can smoke pretty much anything in them without ghosting and taste every blend as it should taste without really anything else affecting the smoke. That's why if I get this one, it'll be the last meer I ever buy. That's a fact. It'll become my main smoker. Even with a silver spigot, it doesn't look too pretentious. I love that about it. That's not to say that I don't enjoy some of the other meers I have seen, but they're not for me. I'm really digging this one.
As I have said, I would love to find this in the $200-$300 range, but I haven't...yet. I'll keep looking, but just wanted to get opinions about this particualr brand. It IS pricey, but I'd rather spend more money to have something I really want than to buy something I only feel halfway good about. I'd still be longing for a pipe that looks like this. So I'll keep looking for a while, I'm not even remotely ready to spend $700 on a pipe yet, but when I am, this is the first one I am looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.