In Search Of New Meer, Are Andreas Bauer Meerschaum Pipes Expensive?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a little bit like Dunhill in that you're paying extra for the name. Bauer was, for many years, considered the top brand in meerschaum pipes. It sounds like you're wanting a meerschaum with a spigot mount and amber stem and the one you like just happens to be a Bauer. So you can buy the pipe that fits your needs and pay extra for the name, or you could contact one of the better meerschaum makers and see about commissioning one to your specs.
I paid about $110 for my nice little Bauer with an amberoid stem, which was unsmoked when I bought it, but it's a regular push tenon from the 1960's and not sterling mounted. It's a good smoker and certainly worth what I paid for it.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
That's quite the unique and pretty carved meer, there Cajun! Haven't seen too many with that type of profile before!
Exactly Sable! This is exactly what I'm in. I mean I would love to find one for a lot cheaper, but I didn't really know where to start. I've been to all the other main meerschaum spots I can find and couldn't find the pipe I wanted. After that, I'm not really sure where to go, so I went to ebay as the next spot and found these AB's.
I have a lead on a guy right now though, provided by another member that might work out. So far, I've made first contact so we'll see what he can do for me, but it'll actually be the first time I ever worked with anyone on a pipe, so hopefully it all goes smoothly.
I really didn't think that what I wanted would be somewhat difficult to locate, but not many meerschaums appear to have the type of mount I want with a simple bowl style, at least with what I've searched so far.
Aside from the one bazungu tossed me, does anyone know of any others out there I might try to contact?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
You could try contacting Deniz Ural about getting a Tekin or maybe even a Baki commissioned. You can email him at his site below.
He currently has this Tekin spigot available for $232. I have a Tekin I purchased through him, and it is a superb meer...smoke it nearly every day.
http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/TG18.html

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
During a point in time Andreas Bauer was making some of their pipes for German tobacco houses. I picked up an estate meer that had a Pfeifen Huber sticker in the case that otherwise matched Andreas Bauer. I contacted the Pfeifen Huber shop directly and they confirmed that Andreas Bauer had made meers for them and that mine was such a pipe. This is a long way of saying there may be meers made by Andreas Bauer that are not obviously so. Could be worth checking out German tobacco houses for "house name" meers. Although not as nice as the spigot pictured, my estate meer cost me 10 bucks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pricing is always a point to ponder. When a brand sets and sustains elevated prices, they usually have to offer something that supports the cost to the consumer, whether material or psychological. For some, a $700 pipe would be an easy indulgence; for others, a once a year "thing,"; and for others a once in a lifetime if ever expensive. As an aesthetic point, I think the visuals of the OP pipe are excellent, but the bright metal might not look as harmonious once the Meerschaum gains color, though that is in the eye of the beholder.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pricing is always a point to ponder. When a brand sets and sustains elevated prices, they usually have to offer something that supports the cost to the consumer, whether material or psychological. For some, a $700 pipe would be an easy indulgence; for others, a once a year "thing,"; and for others a once in a lifetime if ever expense. As an aesthetic point, I think the visuals of the OP pipe are excellent, but the bright metal might not look as harmonious once the Meerschaum gains color, though that is in the eye of the beholder.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Old AB meerschaum pipes (pre 1990 merger) were made in Austria and were one of the top Meerschaum factories, if not the top factory for meerschaum pipes for decades. Which is one of the reasons why Turkey stopped exporting meerschaum in 1970. Since AB's merger their pipes are made in Turkey, and really aren't AB meerschaum pipes anymore, but carry the name. They are still great meerschaum pipes, but they aren't sought after like they were pre 1970's as they're basically like any other Turkish meerschaum pipe currently.
With that said that is a very nice looking pipe. If it has .925 silver, and real amber (not faux amber) then that may justify the price tag, but there are lots of great meerschaum pipes out there for far less. IMP makes excellent pipes from the highest quality meerschaum for half that cost. It really comes down to whether or not you want that pipe. Good luck with your decision.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks. Yeah, I had read that too and figured out that it wasn't a true AB anymore, but they're using the name to make bank on the pipes under that label. I just haven't found really much else close to what I'm looking for except for one guy I've been pointed to and I have emailed him already, just waiting to hear back.
That's the crossroads I'm currently at. I really want one that looks like the one I posted. IMP doesn't seem to have anything like it on any of the sites I've checked. Most everything I have seen is either a smooth bent, or a carved straight, and not many have the silver spigot mounts. If it doesn't exist or I can't get it elsewhere then maybe $700 will have to be spent to get what I want, if, like you say, it's real .925 silver and a real amber bit, then maybe that's the price I have to pay to have what I'm looking for.
Shit, my luck, I'll buy it for $700 and then IMP would put out a whole line of the damn things the following month...just how my luck goes.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I did a lot of searching around when I decided I wanted a meer. I wanted a small simple billiard with silver spigot but finding an affordable one proved difficult.

I ended up contacting Huseyin Cor on Instagram. He made one to my exact specifications for under $200 shipped.
IMG-20180506-151016.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I did a lot of searching around when I decided I wanted a meer. I wanted a small simple billiard with silver spigot but finding an affordable one proved difficult.

I ended up contacting Huseyin Cor on Instagram. He made one to my exact specifications for under $200 shipped.
Do you know? That's where bazungu above pointed me as well and I have since contacted him. He got back to me pretty quickly and sent me photos. I think some of the ones he sent me are of yours! I was mulling it over last night with a feeling that no way could he do this for the price. How does it smoke, if you don't mind me asking?

You really want a pipe like that? Huseyin Cor is the man to go, dont waste money on the same turkish meer and expertise at almost double the price. Amber stems are nice to look at and with our habit of biting acrylic and vulcanite stems, its better you go for faux amber and pocket the extra money.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.