PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
Here's an estate pipe that will be in my smoking rotation tonight. Well-stamped "Imported Briar" and "Italy". No brand, however. I like this pipe. It has a nice shape and balance, the color is nice, and it has a pretty decorative band. Some maker's second? No way of telling. It's just a nice pipe.

20220930_223012536_iOS.jpg

20220930_223101766_iOS.jpg

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I have always liked MADE IN ENGLAND, or "Made in London England" pipes. Or at least ever since ebay has been in existence. No other nomenclature, except maybe the "Imported Briar" thing. Wanna know a little secret? They're all Dunhills.

Wanna know another? They're not all Dunhills. But seriously, I've had pretty good luck with them, just judging by general appearance prior to purchase, and by smoking quality afterwards. Plain Janes, most of them, but I like them that way.

That's a handsome pipe above, Mr. Davis. Almost too handsome. Surprised no one attached their name to it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many house pipes are essentially no-name pipes. You have the stamp of a pipe shop or other retailer, but no clue on the sourcing. I have a Thompson (Cigars) house pipe, a freehand with plateau on the brim, stamped Thompson and West Germany. I have no idea which pipe maker made the pipe. The pipe was a gift, an estate pipe of course. Its p-lip stem oxidized so persistently, despite my polishing efforts, that I had it refitted with a tortoise shell fishtail stem that gives it a more jaunty look. It has a good big chamber and is one of my pipes for long, meditative smokes.

I had a great "Made In London" pipe, a trim straight billiard with a dark reddish stain, that smoked really well. The joint between the bowl and shank cracked, and I finally gave it away to a friend who wanted a few pipes for decor. Today I might have had it repaired, though it was not fixable with a band, cracked in that location.