PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Got two pipes from Heath Piersel, aka Mr. 'Crappy Pipes,' last week. The bigger pipe accepts a 9mm filter, and Heath was kind enough to ship it with an adapter/plug. But I knew I was going to be puffing hard yesterday while rounding up the yearlings and administering their dewormer (they get itchy this time of year), and I'd filled the pipe full of Margate which I find hard on the tongue if smoked over-zealously. So I put a Stanwell charcoal filter in there (perish the thought, I know), clenched it in my teeth, and puffed away. I've gotta say folks, that was a hell of a smoke. The pipe had zero cake and it never so much as warmed up -- neither did my tongue. I felt great, and the inside of my tractor smells great too.

Today, on the other hand, I sat on the porch in a leisurely fashion, smoking a much mellower blend in a much fancier pipe, and the experience was, shall we say, vastly inferior.

I am now officially a huge fan of the Crappy Pipe, and look forward to adding more to the roster.

Thanks Heath!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am intrigued by the reverse psychology. Gosh, if the pipe maker calls it crappy it must have huge redeeming features. I'm glad he sort of delivered on the promise.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Here are a few. I failed to aim the camera at myself, but these should give an idea:

The black one is the pipe in question.

crappy-pipes-left-600x311.jpg

Yearlings in the chute.

img_6439-600x600.jpg

Chowder's nose. The headgate was frozen to the ground so I had to back everyone out.

img_6437-600x600.jpg

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
So lets see if I have this right....you got a great smoke out of a "crappy" pipe for the price of smoking it with a 9mm filter(like so many thousands of others in the world)?
Easy on the tongue, didn't even warm up and you're happy....how do I get me some these "crappy" pipes?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With zero farm experience, I have fed an angus bull (with his many girlfriends) and I felt like I was two-stepping with a freight train. I felt I did okay with it, spreading the grain down the trough and easing aside, but I found out later that the farm family was greatly amused. He ain't from around here, they were probably saying.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We all have a crappy pipe or two. But a Crappy pipe is special, and I believe made by the husband of the excellent Ohio carver, Scotty Piersal.

Status
Not open for further replies.