Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's a great editorial by author and pipe collector, Rick Newcombe. He brings up quite an important point, and something that I think the majority of us have never realized about pipe shows.
Whether you've ever made it to a show or not, you should read this article as it relates to the continuing life of our beloved hobby.
NOTE: PLEASE PLACE YOUR COMMENT ON THE ARTICLE, EVEN IF YOU ARE COMMENTING HERE.
In Praise Of Pipe Show Organizers ... And A Challenge To Pipe Makers

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Daaang Rick! Talk about a guilt trip! :lol:
Seriously though, every vendor and maker's situation is different. For some guys, it is very much a matter of finances. For others, maybe not so much.
I will speak for myself, personally, as I do not know other makers' situations.
I have always tried to donate to pipe shows when I am able. Sometimes, I'm not able. Back in the day, when I was working a full time job outside of pipemaking, donating something to a pipe show was no big deal. Pipemaking was a fun little hobby, and sales were the icing on the cake. I'm sure there are many makers who are in that same position today.
But moving in to the realm of the full-time artisan pipemaker, it is not always possible to make those sacrifices, and these days I'm lucky to break even at a pipe show. Maybe I need to take more time away from my family to get more pipes made so I can donate something? Maybe I need to raise my prices and hope I still sell just as many pipes so I can donate something? These are difficult decisions to consider. It's not as easy as "hey, I'll donate a pipe".
I always buy a table when I attend a pipe show, and admittedly, I felt pretty good about myself for doing so, until I found out today that some folks feel like it is not enough. Nobody should be looked down on for contributing what they can, no matter how small.
Personally, I feel like each breathing body in the building is an important part of a pipe show. If you've donated an item to the show, great! If you've bought a table, and are exhibiting something on it, great! Nothing kills the mood of a show like a row of empty tables. If you are an attendee, a consumer, walking the floor and buying pipes and tobacco, and tampers, and tobacciana, fantastic! In my opinion, these folks are the life blood of a pipe show, and I challenge anyone reading this to become a pipe show consumer. If you are an attendee, but can't afford to buy anything, you are important too! You contribute to the overall atmosphere of brotherhood that helps to attract those who will buy! And if you are a volunteer who helps to run the show, it should go without saying that you are where it all begins, you make the magic happen.
On a side note. Robert Vance is a great guy. I hear that he still has the gecko pipe that I carved for, and donated to the Old Pueblo Pipe Club show in Tucson those many years ago...

Show%20Day23.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I challenge anyone reading this to become a pipe show consumer.
Well said.
Our community needs pipe shows. They are, truly, the one and only place that supports the physical gathering of pipe folk in numbers large enough to generate engagement, enlistment and conversation. For our hobby, passion, raison d'etre to continue we need pipe shows to continue.
Hearing about the demise of the C.O.R.P.S. show was tough. It was alarming enough for Craig Cobine to light the pipe-signal and call for support/volunteers/participation in the organization and delivery of the Chicago Show.
Watching the birth of the Southern Fried club and show has been inspiring, and being on the ground with the birth of our own club in central Ontario has been grand too. Last year we had a smallish gathering of pipers for a burner and swap meet, this year we're having a larger event partnering with a neighbour club. Events get momentum when they are successful, but they need new blood, new ideas, new skills and more energy to survive... the focus of all has to be on delivering a solid product for all participants (consumers, vendors, club and venue) and financial stability.
When I saw the posting on the CORPS event I immediately asked, what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen to another show? My answer, first, was, "Go to another pipe show next year." I think Walt's right. For Pipe Shows to continue we have to be consumers of them. Further, if we have the time, energy, inspiration and skills to make them better, then volunteering to do so is a pretty good continuation.
$0.05 in the bucket.
-- Pat

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Pipe shows are just not feasible for me. Considering the cost of plane tickets and hotel rooms, if I did make it to one, I could not afford to buy anything.

As for pipe clubs, I would love to get one started, and have talked with people about it. But until someone offers us a basement or garage to use, there is no where we can meet.

I understand the need for community, but for some it is just not possible to offer support in this way.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Just a thought…
Maybe there are folks who can’t afford to attend a pipe show, but would still like to support the show somehow. Maybe some folks in the pipe community would want to donate five or ten bucks through a gofundme or indiegogo campaign to help a pipe club ease the financial burden of putting on a show. Maybe they’d donate even more if there were some rewards involved, (club pins, patches, buttons, stickers, t-shirts, etc…)
Couldn’t hurt, right?

algenib

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Orlando, FL
Walt Cannoy - I think that's a great idea. I won't be in a financial position to visit a pipe show any time soon, but I would love the opportunity to donate. Even if I can't go, I think they're important to our hobby, and I'd be more than willing to throw a few bucks there way, rewards or not.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Rick Newcombe's article and the trenchant followup comments are very illuminating. I've been to a number of pipe shows in the last several years and now adjust my fishing schedule to accommodate them. How's that for priorities?
In my many enjoyable years with DuPont, I was also involved with trade shows and I thought I knew all about how they worked. But Rick's article has taught me several things I never thought about before.
These shows, for our besieged hobby, are about more than just having fun. Though there's lots of that too.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.