PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am sure many of us remember the trash threads directed at Peterson pipes not too long ago (some of it deserved), but I have to say that I own more Petes than any other brand and each one is a champ (two had difficult break-ins, but they are otherwise excellent smokers).
Not one of my pipes sports a single fill, all have expert drilling, great silver work, and all were obtained at reasonable prices; so I thought I should shout-out some positive praise for Peterson.
Below is my Peterson line-up so far (I'm sure I'll have more):
pete-ross-spigot.jpg

Peterson Rosslare Spigot 107
pete-spigot1-600x437.jpg

Peterson 106S Sterling Spigot
ross.jpg

Peterson Rosslare Royal Irish 120
peterson_aran_canadian-600x382.jpg

Peterson Aran Canadian
pete-meer2-600x442.jpg

Peterson Meerschaum
If you have a Peterson, display it proudly here. :puffy:

Dec 24, 2012
Smoking my pete spigot as we speak. They do make nice pipes. I think part of the key is to stay away from their low end pipes and go for the mid or high end pipes. I say this of course without ever having smoked a Pete low end pipe, but most of the criticism I have seen has been in that context. My 5 cents.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My 5 cents.
lol - are those lawyer rates? :wink:
It's true, low-ends have had the most complaints, but I will say that my $70 Aran (while tough to break-in) is otherwise flawless. Excellent draw, drilling spot-on, and not a single fill.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have five or six Petersons, low or mid-end, and they all have pleased me. Good drilling, no fills, and

handsome craftsmanship. The economy pipe I own, a Kapet author shape, took a while to break in, but

is getting very good. I am often praising the B11 shape, which I have in Shannon and Killarney, a bent

brandy (or volcano depending on how you see it). I also have an Around the World bulldog commemorating

Ireland, which has a great red finish and band, and a dark reddish Rhodesian, my only P-Lip, that is

elegant in my eyes. Petersons tend to look new for a long time, even when smoked regularly and toted

around on trips.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
No Six, not lawyer rates, Canadian rates. We just got rid of pennies up here. I would love a Peterson, I've been looking at their bulldogs but just can't decide on a finish that I like. I think that will be my next purchase.

Aug 14, 2012
I had about 43 Petersons. When I sold those I didn't like, there were 22 left, 7 of them meerschaums. These are very good pipes. The others might have been good too, for someone tireless about the breakin. On several of them the stems were too tight or loose. But they are good overall, and the meers are the best I have tried.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
No Six, not lawyer rates, Canadian rates. We just got rid of pennies up here.
I stand corrected!
for someone tireless about the breakin.
I hear that. Two of mine had long break-in periods, but now smoke fine. My newest Rosslare Spigot had no stain in the stem and has no break-in issues.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The problem is Peterson quality control, the preponderance focused at the low to mid range priced Petes.
If someone asks what I think of Peterson I say this same thing -- and strongly urge anyone considering a low to mid range Peterson to look for it at a B&M where they can examine the pipe carefully before buying it. I also advice them to steer clear of Peterson's painted and sealed pipes for obvious reasons.
Hey now - this is supposed to be an 'in praise of' thread!!
(just teasing actually, I admit there are issues, but for this thread, I am hoping for more positive posts since I think Peterson has suffered enough bashing)

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I bought my first Peterson(Aran 268) a few months ago and I'm pleased with the fit/finish and smoking quality, so it's going to be a keeper.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
All I'm saying is it's best to check entry Petes out in person -- it's well worth the slightly extra cost, IMO.
hehe, no worries of course, I can agree with that. And it's good advice for any manufacturer - never smoke a pipe until you've run a pipe cleaner, checked the drilling and looked for fills (or if online, ask the vendor to do those things for you).
I have to say, after seeing zero stain on the inside of my latest Rosslare, I am thinking that Peterson has begun to employ stricter measures in keeping the stain out. Perhaps they've seen some of the posts here and buttoned things up.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I like Peterson and never had a problem breaking them in or getting anything other than a good smoke.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
numbersix, you're preaching to the choir here: I have 11 Petes, ALL in the low-priced range, ALL with P-lips, and have nothing but high praise for them. They are my standard daily rotation, with an occasional Sav subbed into the lineup.
Current lineup: 4 Systems, 1 Dublin, 2 Arans, 1 Flame Grain, 2 Donegal Rocky's and 1 Killarney. One of these days, a Silver Spigot or a Sherlock (maybe).

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Nice pipes 6. I'm very interested in trying a spigot and I do have a lower end Peterson system pipe with p-lip stem that I've been smoking for about 20 years that I love but with all the bad words I've heard on here I haven't bought another Peterson since. If I do I'll definitely go for one of those nifty spigot one's.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
My Peterson POTY 2011 is my favorite pipe, beautifully made and was a great smoker right from the first bowl

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
@six - a lynching is imminent by my fiancee if I even mention seeing this $368 pipe. :rofl:

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I love my System 312 Rustic (bought around this last Christmas). Peterson's rustication is the only one I've reallyfallen in love with, and this pipe is a prime example of it in my eyes. Good quality, though there are a couple VERY minor cosmetic issues-light stamping, etc, stuff only I notice. Smokes great, even the break-in wasn't bad. The one major problem is that it's the only Pete in the collection so far.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have 3 Petersons -

Kapet 03 not my favorite, but a great knock around, camping pipe.

Killarney Red 69 a beautiful pipe, not as fond of the 69 shape as I thought I'd be

Kildare 999 which is my favorite hands down
I have on my "wishlist" a Rosslare 999 and a Harp 03 - maybe Santa will deliver.
I have not had a problem with workmanship (even with the Kapet) and after the 3rd or 4th bowl, they delivered a solid smoke. Peterson will be my "go to" brand, unless Comoy goes back into production, then it's a toss up.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I have quite a few Petes as noted on a few photo op threads I started to show them off. I have two Sherlock Holmes pipes and the one smokes very nicely and the other one is my most favorite Pete. I have a number of Pre-Republic Petes and those really are fine smokers and quite the bargain if you find one in nice shape, which isn't too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.