PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the old print media, they used to call them headlines, and writing headlines has always been a high art with much critical pressure on the results. Even in print, the technique has declined noticeably over the years so that it is now common to spot misleading or incomprehensible headlines in the best newspapers and magazines, and everywhere online. However, it is smart to spend a few minutes titling your posts and not just throwing out a one-word title, or a misleading teaser. Some members read Forums on a tight schedule, at work or between tasks otherwise, and even the most relaxed browsers appreciate being given an accurate idea about the subject content being addressed. Make a game of it and give the best idea in your titles of the content; your fellow members will thank you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Click bait is a dangerous approach. Once the reader sees he or she has been tricked, the whole post is suspect. For a while, some car magazines went completely to car manufacturer promotional writing thinly disguised, and it almost killed some of the old mags. Now they have reformed and probably hired some seasoned print journalists thrown out of work other places, and the some of the magazines are better than they have been in years. Promotional jive discredits the writer and anything they are discussing.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
In the old print media, they used to call them headlines, and writing headlines has always been a high art with much critical pressure on the results. Even in print, the technique has declined noticeably over the years so that it is now common to spot misleading or incomprehensible headlines in the best newspapers and magazines, and everywhere online. However, it is smart to spend a few minutes titling your posts and not just throwing out a one-word title, or a misleading teaser. Some members read Forums on a tight schedule, at work or between tasks otherwise, and even the most relaxed browsers appreciate being given an accurate idea about the subject content being addressed. Make a game of it and give the best idea in your titles of the content; your fellow members will thank you.
Exactly!
This is about gathering and sharing knowlegde and information. Trying to be mysterious doesn't help.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Poorly worded titles drive me nuts. However, newspapers aren't immune to gaffe's.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Among the worst headlines are those that have unintentional puns that mislead about the subject of the story. Others are just senseless, unless you study them, and sometimes not then. Then there are short words that are only used in headlines, like "eyes," as in Governor Eyes Veto.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
How about the headlines months ago about the "royal divorce"... not that I give to shits about those people, but the headlines were full of that a while back. There was no divorce at all within the article, just royal mumbo jumbo about which royal responsibilities the couple had ducked out on.

It's safe to say there's more headline integrity here, than in the mainstream news.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though not a long term newspaper guy, I have a lot of connections with that, so I guess I am somewhat an apologist, but part of the problem arises from the confusion of entertainment with journalism that has become so intertwined that the "real journalists" stick out. More distressing, the editorial staffs have been so thinned, no one is minding the editor and copy desks that used to groom the raw copy with fierce attention. Most good writing is good re-writing, whether the text or the headlines. Essentially, no one is minding the store so error is inevitable. Reporters have to write fast, and the balance between fast and accurate is always there. I hope online news develops a professional sense of responsibility, so readers know if what they read is vetted or contrived by minds devoted to ulterior designs. The old days had plenty of bias, but it was usually known, traceable, and could be read with fore-knowledge. Not any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.