PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
Does anyone ever get a type of mouth fatigue where the roof of their mouth gets course feeling and rawed? The odd thing is, my tongue for the most part isnt "bitten" or burned, just the roof of my mouth. And I don't think it is from smoking too much, as a rarely smoke more than 3 bowls a day, and some days I won't smoke at all.
Any thoughts, or better, ways to fix the problem? Some magic mouthwash or something?
Thanks

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
you may be smoking too quickly or smoking tobacco that is too wet (generates steam) both of which can cause a hot smoke and mouth searing....I tend to get tonguebite when i smoke too fast but solved this by mostly smoking Petersons with the P-lip which directs smoke to the roof of the mouth (probably not what you want to do).
If you are burning your mouth, then I would have a rest: go a day without smoking, or smoke less, and avoid very hot food and drink too...but I think the speed you smoke may be causing the problem here

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
May be from puffing too hard and heating the smoke... takes a lot of patience and practice to "sip" the smoke cooly. I smoke P-lips all the time, w/o issues, as well as fish tail bits. But if I have a tobacco that requires a lot of relights, or that I might have packed too tightly, I get that rough upper palate thing from sucking hard trying to keep it lit.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
How are you feeling yourself,this last week or so I have had a nasty head cold/virus and the roof of my mouth felt raw when I smoked. I gave up the pipe completely for a few days and now things are improving a bit and the roof of my mouth is almost back to normal.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I get this when I smoke my very short bulldog. It never happens with a churchwarden. The guys are spot on with the steam and I think the difference of my 2 stems proves it, longer = cooler. Or, it is something else entirely. :wink:

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I know exactly what you are talking about, it happens to me alot, and i barely smoke a bowl a day, makes my mouth almost feel mealy, i drink water as i smoke and it helps alot, also seems to renew the flavor of the tobacco a little, give it a try

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
never thought about the humidifier thing...
Maybe biotine mouthwash is worth trying as well.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes I get it and have it now and have had it for months. Mine also includes several bumps on the Hard Palate or roof of mouth. This is one of the reasons the Oral Surgeon is doing a Biopsy. He is waiting for the Thrush to heal first before doing the Biopsy. He did tell me that he sees this alot in Pipe smokers and smoking Churchwardens more, would be a definite advantage.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Like coalsmoke, I am a puffer. There is a lot to adjust to for a newbie who has been a cigar smoker. Sipping instead of puffing is probably my challenge.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Definitely get biotene, and use it after every bowl. If need be before you relight take a swish then a drink of something cold. I also stay away from any kind of soda, it has chemicals which will irritate your mouth.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks @cigrmaster - I was just going to make a post on this subject when lo and behold...
I recently developed a terrible case of tongue bite - but I didn't recognize it as such because it wasn't just the tongue, but my entire mouth was overly dry and felt like a chemical burn.
After 7 days of not smoking (well, I did one time and only made things worse), I did some more research and came across this video:
Tongue Bite
It's 8 mins longer than it needs to be, but he describes it as a chemical burn, that can be caused by a variety of things, especially certain tobaccos, not just smoking too quickly (which is the reason most give for the condition).
I just got back from the store with some biotene as recommended in the video and by @cigrmaster - I hope it helps because I am missing the pipe. :crying:

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I fouled my mouth up seriously bad the first day I smoked a pipe. about 5 weeks ago. I haven't tasted correctly since. My entire mouth is still in disarray although It gets slightly better every day because i refuse to stop smoking. If i would stop for a couple of days i believe it'd go away. Biotene rocks though!!!!

piper50

Lurker
Feb 25, 2014
I'll have to try Biotine. Colgate Peroxyl helps me. Smoking all day or just alot gets me. Puffer? really doesn't describe me. Holding the pipe in my mouth for the enire bowl, yes. Someone said, dry mouth? I'm going to try drinking something with my smoke.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Swishing a little red wine around will do wonders. It works. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.