PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
This is a 1-2 hour read, but presents arguments that I have not heard before. Well worth the read for pipe and cigar smokers.
http://www.lcolby.com/
The book for me basically confirmed my suspicions. Much of what the .gov says about smoking is hogwash, and tobacco companies are gold mines for haters=(those who make their living by sucking money out of people who actually work).

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Intense. Looks like the guy has basically devoted himself and his entire life to creating and continually updating a long, intricate, and historically-based argument defending smoking.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I love how he shows that the numbers have been finagled.
Did you read the part where they put masks on beagles and made them smoke incessantly, but still could not induce lung cancer?

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Excellant read for sure! I actually felt a little less concerned about my moderate pipe smoking after reading that. I posted a link a couple weeks back that shows that some of the oldest people on earth all were smokers.
World's Oldest...

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
Great read. Very informative. The man is obviously biased as he is a smoker himself and a lawyer so he comes from a certian social class. He criticizes scientists for starting with a conclusion that smoking is bad and researching to prove it. While at the same time he obviously thinks smoking is totally fine and does his own research to prove it. I mean this is a common problem in science. Who in the world is unbiased? Realistically, all scientists, no matter how neutral, go into a study/experiment with some idea of what the results will be. This is the hypothesis. The real test of a good scientist is being able to abandon preconceptions once experimental data does not support it. Which is, of course, hard since we are all human.
He seems to conclude thst smoking is not bad for you at all. Which I really can't accept if fo other reason than personal experince. pipes and cigars aside, cigarettes make you feel like crap. Science showing that smoking is bad for your health is pretty overwhelming.
Of course, I have to agree that the statistics on smoking are constantly being manipulated by the media (for fantastic headlines) and by anti-tobacco organizations (for their own benefits). It is frustrating to see just how much politics and money is involved in what is supposed to be science. Although, I guess, these days you can't really separate the three.
What made me very angry was to find out that the black lung images on tobacco are not the lungs of smokers but the lungs of cancer patience which will look like that reguardless of whether the person smoked or not.
All in all a lot of great information but should be taken with a grain of salt. Don't just regurgitate the information here and shove it in peoples fqces. Because then you are no better than the anti tobacco nannies

Status
Not open for further replies.