PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
https://halfwheel.com/s-t-dupont-launches-bluetooth-007-connecting-lighter/297839
Another article with more pictures:
https://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/news/st-dupont-ligne-2-james-bond-007-connected-lighter

It would be just like the rest of my expensive lighters... setting on a shelf because after I put gas in it, it no longer works. You would think that after years of trying... even those that I have had people who sell them put the gas in it for me, they just don't work. I have just begun to think that I always get that one lighter in the bunch that doesn't work. Now, they can just set there and be eyecandy. Bics and Zippos never give me any problems.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I have just begun to think that I always get that one lighter in the bunch that doesn't work.
Nope....
I have yet to see an "expensive" lighter that matches the reliability and convenience of a Zippo or Bic.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It would be just like the rest of my expensive lighters... setting on a shelf because after I put gas in it, it no longer works. You would think that after years of trying... even those that I have had people who sell them put the gas in it for me, they just don't work. I have just begun to think that I always get that one lighter in the bunch that doesn't work. Now, they can just set there and be eyecandy. Bics and Zippos never give me any problems.
Amen brother.
I have yet to see an "expensive" lighter that matches the reliability and convenience of a Zippo or Bic.
+100

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I almost think it is a design flaw in higher priced pipe lighters. None of them have use a flint to generate the spark but instead rely on some type of electronic spark generating method that routinely fails about the first time you refill it.
The puzzling question for me is I also have several cigar lighters that cost over $30 and they always work the way they are supposed to.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not my experience at all, including a couple of vintage high end lighters. All my butanes work just fine, but only one does not use a flint, and it's a torch, so used only occasionally. Sure, BICs and Zippos are reliable and sensible; everyone can use them except those who have severe hand challenges.

Reactions: Jamdat692

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Sure, BICs and Zippos are reliable and sensible; everyone can use them except those who have severe hand challenges.
How is a DuPont or a swing arm Old Boy easier to use than a Zippo?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I only have 3 issues with a bic. They do run out of fluid and are disposable, the flame isn't directed at the tobacco and if you're a bit careless, you can get a minor burn. The most expensive lighter I've purchased is a Xikar and to date (just 3 months or so), it has performed admirably. Other cheap lighters, $9 to $24, have performed reasonably well for the price point.
I am thinking I will buy a Pipemaster Old Boy soon. Forget the flint stuff, I like electronic. I just wish they would use replaceable batteries to generate the spark vs a piezoelectric crystal.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, quit screwing around with those crap lighters. Grab the Pipemaster and join us civilized pipe smokers. :mrgreen:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/lighters/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=54363

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The beauty is in the eye if the beholder. I don't know what kind of crap lighters you guys are buying and calling expensive but mine still work fine after twenty years.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
They do run out of fluid and are disposable
Sounds like a Corona Old Boy if you drop them.
You can get 30+ Bics for the cost of servicing a "high end" lighter.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The beauty is in the eye if the beholder. I don't know what kind of crap lighters you guys are buying and calling expensive but mine still work fine after twenty years.
I'm referring to the cheaper more expensive lighters made by Vector and Xikar. Cost in the $30 - $60 dollar range as opposed to a Linse pipe lighter which retails around $2.95 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.