In Buying Pipes, are You a Quick Sale or Otherwise?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In deciding on buying a pipe, I deliberate until I'm cross-eyed, and then I deliberate some more, and half the time, I don't buy the damned thing anyway. At a pipe show or two, I have bought on impulse, but usually something I had been generically shopping for a long time -- a panel pipe, or a pipe with a bamboo shank. Buying online, I probably visit a pipe 25 or 30 times or more, comparing it to several other pipes as I go. In most cases, it isn't a big investment either. How are you? Quick draw or endless deliberation?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In deciding on buying a pipe, I deliberate until I'm cross-eyed, and then I deliberate some more, and half the time, I don't buy the damned thing anyway. At a pipe show or two, I have bought on impulse, but usually something I had been generically shopping for a long time -- a panel pipe, or a pipe with a bamboo shank. Buying online, I probably visit a pipe 25 or 30 times or more, comparing it to several other pipes as I go. In most cases, it isn't a big investment either. How are you? Quick draw or endless deliberation?
Only the highest condition Lees.

They must be under $30, sorta.

Maybe.

I’ll buy anything with nice briar, that’s cheap though.

It’s an addiction.

Usually I’m very particular what I bid on.

Reactions: JOHN72
Both, if I see something that appeals to me and I've got the cash, I quick draw like Wyatt Earp. But, sometimes I will dick around, usually because I am not sure of the chamber dimensions, or the make, or it is over $1000, I'll sleep on it. The last was a Northern Briars bent bulldog at The Briary with a bend that looked as perfect as a French S curve template, but it was a humdrum chamber size (for me at the time). Slept on it, and when I got to the Briary at opening the next day, it was boxed up and ready to ship to its new owner. Crap!! Snoozed and loozed.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I usually sleep on it. Have lost more than a few over the years but I have a lot of pipes so no big deal. Every once in awhile a particular pipe calls out and I buy immediately. At this point, I am more inclined to buy tobacco in light of what I perceive may be hard times on the horizon. That, I think, is the best advice for anyone with more, say, than a dozen pipes already.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If it's a pipe I like at an antique shop, it's a quick sale. I'm not taking a chance of going back and finding it's gone.

A new pipe online, I think about it for a while. I have saved some money by waiting.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
If it is a Cramptholomew or Ron Powell pipe...then there is no weaseling about it. If I have the $$ then it is picked up...have more than I need at the present after giving away about 30 pipes because I had new ones and wanted to smoke the new ones. Share the joy is my motto.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Grain has to be just right. Then, it's easy. If it "just good enough", I spend days looking at it to decide. Since I only smoke Peterson, stems are always crap shoot. But mostly been lucky. Only one stem that's seriously twisted.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think that most who read and post here are serious about pipe smoking in a way other pipe smokers aren't. The former group is bound to read a lot about pipes as well as the reasons why others love them. It rubs off, and before long you love pipes. For this group I don't think it matters how many pipes they have and how much money they spend.

They're going to keep on buying them, often making it clear to family not to bury them with their professionally
copied kitana but instead their pipes, if the casket lid can be closed atop them.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Endless deliberation. Nauseating deliberation. And then I pass, usually. I have 7 pipes in total, and I got my first one in 2007. I overthink it. The handful of pipes that I have work great, and I rarely feel the need to get another.

Mar 1, 2014
Placing an order with AlPascia a few months ago, I already had two pipes chosen with weeks of deliberation, but on the same day of placing the order another fantastic looking pipe popped up and I threw it in the cart. No regrets either way.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72