PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I am so jealous, here is a look at mine. It has a ways to go.View attachment 50980
Looks very nice to me. What may be lacking in quantity is made up for in presentation. By the way, that tin of CAO cherry bomb i see - do yourself a favor now and bury it in your backyard. I’d say just set it all on fire but that could produce a toxic cloud. Tasted and smelled like insecticide. Throw it out. Now.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Looks very nice to me. What may be lacking in quantity is made up for in presentation. By the way, that tin of CAO cherry bomb i see - do yourself a favor now and bury it in your backyard. I’d say just set it all on fire but that could produce a toxic cloud. Tasted and smelled like insecticide. Throw it out. Now.

I like the cherry bomb, it makes me think of cherry slushies that we would all drink in the summer time.
Taste and smells really take me back to a different time. I think the memories overpower any slight flavor indifferences.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
looks good to me. I'd leave it where it is for a while before adding anything else to it. You have time to build the cellar no reason to rush it. And yes you might miss out on a few blends that disappear but you already have because there are more blends that where then there are blends that are.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I like the cherry bomb, it makes me think of cherry slushies that we would all drink in the summer time.
Taste and smells really take me back to a different time. I think the memories overpower any slight flavor indifferences.
To each his own. To me the chemical taste was overwhelming. And I do think the other CAO aeros are decent. I just got some Ken Byron Dark Fired Cherry. Delicious. Much better than the CAO stuff in my opinion. I hear Cult Red Moon is good for a cherry aero but i haven't tried it.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
To each his own. To me the chemical taste was overwhelming. And I do think the other CAO aeros are decent. I just got some Ken Byron Dark Fired Cherry. Delicious. Much better than the CAO stuff in my opinion. I hear Cult Red Moon is good for a cherry aero but i haven't tried it.

I need to try that Dark Fired Cherry, I hear good things about it. I really like the Cult BRM, that one is probably my favorite cherry at the moment.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Don’t overlook small batch blenders like Ken Byron Ventures. His Verge Engine Overdrive is one of my favorite VaPers. Also, if you’re into straight Virginias, Amphora Virginia is a great value.

And furthermore, Reiner Long Golden Flake and Solani 633 are both extremely cellar worthy.

And one last favorite of mine (but not a favorite of everyone) Peterson (Dunhill) Royal Yacht...that should do it.

Last edited:

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Yeah... y'all went and activated my TAD...View attachment 51000
Happy to help! it is very very good from what I can tell from a few bowls. Also tried KBY Bas Matica for the first time today. Like it a lot -- got some nice spice and some mild floral notes (but no sweetness). Reminded me of an atomic fireball -- almost a cinnamon taste.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'll throw out the names of some of my "must haves" even though they're only a must have for me and not necessarily for someone else. (A few some have already mentioned.)

Arango Balkan Supreme - One of the best in it's style for the price.
C&D Dreams of Kadath - If you like SPC Plum Pudding you'll like this.
Capstan Gold - Great VA with great sweetness without overdoing it.
GH&C Bob's Chocolate Flake - I can't recommend this enough.
Samuel Gawith St James Flake - I consider it to be the best VaPer out there, especially with some age.
Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs - An excellent VaPer with rum. What's not to like?
GH&C Dark Flake Unscented - You should also try the scented version to see witch you prefer.
Watch City Cigar Old Dominion - You should also try their Flake #558 to see which you prefer.
Rattray Exotic Passion - Fantastic aro with layers of different flavors.
GH&C Happy (Brown) Bogie - Phenomenal VA with strength.
Manil Le Petit Robin - A very tasty smoke.
Sutliff Spiced Rum - A very affordable aro that everyone around you will enjoy the room note.
Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut - A delightful sweet & nutty blend.

I know I'm forgetting a ton of stuff but I tried to include lots that would help you diversify your cellar.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
HU Makhuwa - Forget about it unless you can obtain an older tin of it. The tins I bought last year were a shock, and I'm glad I still have tins from 2016. Makhuwa used to taste like a smooth chocolate milkshake, but last year's batch had little to none of that Malawi chocolate, and reports I've gotten from people who bought it earlier this year is that the blend is not what it was just a couple of years ago.

HU Directors Cut - If you bought some years ago, be glad that you did, because it's been screwed with. Had I known that K&K had removed much of the Perique and replaced it with Dark Fired before I bought a kilo of it last year, I wouldn't have spent the money. It's still a good blend, just not Directors Cut and for me, not as good a blend. I've jarred it for now and will revisit it in a couple of years to see if the Dark Fired has settled down. If it's still not working I'll just toss it in the garbage.

Aye I've read you say this previously. Given I just smoked these two blends this year from tins bought this year I won't cry over not knowing what they used to be like because I enjoyed both quite a bit, particularly after adjusting my expectations from "VaPer with Ky" to "Danish Virginia with a bit of Ky" for Director's Cut.

I'm currently putting together an estervals order which includes both, I'd happily cellar a kilo of each to be honest.

I've also read a few times that Motzek's 16/5 Der Neue is nearly indistinguishable from Director's Cut. I'd be keen to hear more about that from whoever knows (which Director's Cut, this year's or 10 years ago?) because it's basically half price.

However, and off-topic, we shouldn't put all the blame at K&K's door in my opinion if the blends have changed...

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Branch out into some Balkans. Hearth & Home makes some showstoppers with Black House, White Knight and the aptly named Magnum Opus. Balkan Supreme is one I buy a pound of every month.

Orlik Golden Sliced is one of my favorite on the VA front.

Solani Aged Burley Flake made a believer in Burley out of me. Amphora Burley is another notable tobacco that's pretty affordable.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I need to assemble a shopping list. Gonna throw out the rest of the Elizabethan as I find it virtually unsmokable and will free up a jar for some of the sutliff match victorian.
How old is the Elizabethan? It's one of favorites and I think it only gets better with age

Status
Not open for further replies.