PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Inspired by Brobs impressive cellar and organization, I did an inventory of my jarred tobacco, listed below. I probably have 30 more unopened tins, many of which are duplicates. I am trying to smoke through some of the open jars before opening more tins or buying more. I would greatly appreciate it if the tobacco aficionados out there could suggest one or two blends that in your view are must haves (and reasonably obtainable) and should be added. Thanks.

English, Latakia Based and Crossovers:

BB1938
Durbar
FMC
HU Zulu
Kramer’s Father Dempsey
London Mixture
Nat Sherman 536
Pembroke
Plum Pudding
Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel
Presbyterian
Squadron Leader

Aeros:

Amphora Full Aroma
Boswells: Raspberry Cream, Smooth and Mild, Vanilla Cream
CAO (combo of Eileen’s Dream, Bella Vanilla and Moontrance)
GH American Delight and Bob’s Chocolate Flake
HU Take Five
KBV Dark Fired Cherry
Missouri Meerschaum Great Dane
Peterson Gold
Rocky Patel Pure Prohibition

VA and Va/Per:

Astley’s 44
Dunhill Ready Rubbed
Elizabethan Mixture (Peterson) (yuck)
Escudo (new version)
HU Director’s Cut, Dockworker, Makuwha, Nyala
KBV Basmatica
Old Gowrie
Orlik Golden Sliced
Royal Yacht
Sunset Harbor Flake
Telegraph Hill
SG FVF

Other: Key Largo, Habana Daydream, variety of Sutliff match codger blends

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
jwebb90 - couldn't agree more on Telegraph Hill. It is my favorite of the Vapers I've tried. I can't stand Elizabethan. I've given it a shot and it simply tastes bad no matter how i smoke it. Tastes like ash to me. I am letting my FVF age for a long time (some is jarred and one more tin). Just couldn't coax the flavor out of it -- I've seen on other threads that it can be demanding.

originalnutcracker - I have a tin of Gaslight and one of Quiet Nights waiting patiently. May be a few years until I get to them.

There are just so many other tobacco blenders and brands that i have heard of but haven't tried. Peterson, C&D, GLP, Seattle Pipe Club, Boswells, SG, GH, HU are some that I have become somewhat familiar with through reading reviews and smoking some blends, But so many other brands - Newminster, Drucquers, John Cotton, LJ Peretti, Erik Stokebeye, Russ Oulette, Vauen, etc, etc etc. are completely unknown to me. Hard to know where and how to branch out.

Thanks!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
English/Lat:
Arango/Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme (cheap, widely available bulk, and stomps 95% of the other Englishes out there)
GLP Spark Plug (really good)
F&K Lancer Slices (great fresh, but will probably be killer with a few years on it)

Aro:
Wilke’s #191 (honey, awesome)
Wilke’s Rum and Maple (like boozy pancakes ? really great aro)
War Horse Bar (hold onto your hat ?)
MacBaren St Bruno Ready Rubbed (tobacco forward with a little tonquin and rose geranium and maybe some spices)
Sutliff Mixture 79 bulk (like old fashioned sassafras root beer and anise)
Edward G Robinson (nice melange of tobaccos with a wine or plum topping)

Virginia/VaPer:
Sutliff Match Victorian (better than the Elizabethan, IMO)
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (age it)
D&R Rimboche SJ or AP (assuming the blends don’t change at all in the very near future)
Sutliff 515 RC1 (straight red VA)
Newminster Superior Navy Flake (honey topped)

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Great looking cellar! I would like to point out that sunset harbor flake is a balken and not a va/per. It is a spectacular balken through and I'm happy to see it's in your cellar.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
jwebb90 - couldn't agree more on Telegraph Hill. It is my favorite of the Vapers I've tried. I can't stand Elizabethan. I've given it a shot and it simply tastes bad no matter how i smoke it. Tastes like ash to me. I am letting my FVF age for a long time (some is jarred and one more tin). Just couldn't coax the flavor out of it -- I've seen on other threads that it can be demanding.

originalnutcracker - I have a tin of Gaslight and one of Quiet Nights waiting patiently. May be a few years until I get to them.

There are just so many other tobacco blenders and brands that i have heard of but haven't tried. Peterson, C&D, GLP, Seattle Pipe Club, Boswells, SG, GH, HU are some that I have become somewhat familiar with through reading reviews and smoking some blends, But so many other brands - Newminster, Drucquers, John Cotton, LJ Peretti, Erik Stokebeye, Russ Oulette, Vauen, etc, etc etc. are completely unknown to me. Hard to know where and how to branch out.

Thanks!
Try some of the Robert McConnell stuff IMO.

also Directors cut is more of a VaKy

what about all the Mac Baren rolls?
Tried dark twist?

what about Orlik DSF?

Reactions: chopper and Jwebb90

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Virginias/VaPers/Burley

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake - Normally I steer clear of Stokkebye tobaccos because they always taste a bit green to me, but this one really blossoms with age, after 4 years it's superb.

Another vote for Sutliff Match Victoria - It was modeled on the Murray's version of Dunhill Elizabethan and is a pretty good bargain as well.

GL Pease - Haddo's Delight - I just love this blend, but it is polarizing. You either love it or hate it.
GL Pease - Sixpence - I hated this blend when I first smoked it, but with age it came into its own

HU Makhuwa - Forget about it unless you can obtain an older tin of it. The tins I bought last year were a shock, and I'm glad I still have tins from 2016. Makhuwa used to taste like a smooth chocolate milkshake, but last year's batch had little to none of that Malawi chocolate, and reports I've gotten from people who bought it earlier this year is that the blend is not what it was just a couple of years ago.

HU Directors Cut - If you bought some years ago, be glad that you did, because it's been screwed with. Had I known that K&K had removed much of the Perique and replaced it with Dark Fired before I bought a kilo of it last year, I wouldn't have spent the money. It's still a good blend, just not Directors Cut and for me, not as good a blend. I've jarred it for now and will revisit it in a couple of years to see if the Dark Fired has settled down. If it's still not working I'll just toss it in the garbage.

Astley's 44 - Not what it was just a few years ago. It seems that K&K are cutting costs.

Rattray's - Hal O The Wynd - a classic Virginia - again, made by K&K, so it could be fine or not
Rattray's - Marlin Flake - another classic, especially with a few years of aging - same K&K caveat.

Samuel Gawith - St James Flake - This is a classic Va/Per, and give it 5 or more years in the jar, the Virginias really sweeten up.

Watch City Cigar & Pipe - Deluxe Crumb Cut

Watch City Cigar & Pipe - Watch City Slices

Wessex - Campaign Dark Flake - Not always available, but worth the price of admission

Solani - Silver 660

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley? Nat Sherman 536 has burley, but it is alone here. I know some can't smoke burley, and some just don't like it, and some it makes ill. Just asking. Peterson Irish Flake is good, and many C&D blends, Old Joe Krantz original, Big'n'Burley, and Billy Budd among others.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
In the fury to get the fancy-schmancy tobaccos, I overlooked putting up a decent amount of easily smoked, regular stuff. I have rectified that oversight by putting up some C&D Pegasus (now on sale!!!) and some Semois. Now I have some grab and go tobaccos that take no preparation, light easily, and provide a satisfying smoke.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Wow, all really helpful. Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

I need to assemble a shopping list. Gonna throw out the rest of the Elizabethan as I find it virtually unsmokable and will free up a jar for some of the sutliff match victorian. Mconnell is on the list (thanks Brobs), I think a watch city blend or two, Stokebye Navy Rolls (I keep reading about how many seem to prefer it to Escudo) and need to check out the Wilkes blends (never even heard of those.) Sparkplug is most definitely on the list. And maybe some Peterson Irish Flake (by the way, I think the Peterson Gold is an excellent mild aero)

Interesting comments on Makuwha and Directors' Cut. I actually like the Makuwha but of course I don't have the older stuff to compare it to. And I was underwhelmed by the Directors' Cut and was hoping a few years of age might help.

Thanks for the correction on the Sunset Harbor Flake -- I think I knew it was a balkan but just had it stored on the wrong shelf!

mso489 - I do like Burley (I think). I get my Burley fix from the sutliff match blends, all or most of which have it -- Revelation, Walnut, Holiday, Briggs, Brindley, Field and Stream, Country Doctor. I quite like most of those. Also some of the HU blends have some Burley.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Inspired by Brobs impressive cellar and organization, I did an inventory of my jarred tobacco, listed below. I probably have 30 more unopened tins, many of which are duplicates. I am trying to smoke through some of the open jars before opening more tins or buying more. I would greatly appreciate it if the tobacco aficionados out there could suggest one or two blends that in your view are must haves (and reasonably obtainable) and should be added. Thanks.

English, Latakia Based and Crossovers:

BB1938
Durbar
FMC
HU Zulu
Kramer’s Father Dempsey
London Mixture
Nat Sherman 536
Pembroke
Plum Pudding
Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel
Presbyterian
Squadron Leader

Aeros:

Amphora Full Aroma
Boswells: Raspberry Cream, Smooth and Mild, Vanilla Cream
CAO (combo of Eileen’s Dream, Bella Vanilla and Moontrance)
GH American Delight and Bob’s Chocolate Flake
HU Take Five
KBV Dark Fired Cherry
Missouri Meerschaum Great Dane
Peterson Gold
Rocky Patel Pure Prohibition

VA and Va/Per:

Astley’s 44
Dunhill Ready Rubbed
Elizabethan Mixture (Peterson) (yuck)
Escudo (new version)
HU Director’s Cut, Dockworker, Makuwha, Nyala
KBV Basmatica
Old Gowrie
Orlik Golden Sliced
Royal Yacht
Sunset Harbor Flake
Telegraph Hill
SG FVF

Other: Key Largo, Habana Daydream, variety of Sutliff match codger blends
I'd go deeper on the Rattray's. Hal OTW and Marlin Flake (hush Brobs) are fantastic blends that get better with age.

Heinrich Special Curlies are an under the radar blend that are fantastic after 3-4 years in the can.

+1 on whoever mentioned Solani Silver (red is great as well)

I'd also look at Cabbie's mix and Doblone D'oro. They will bring a different profile into your cellar.

Reactions: BROBS and Jwebb90

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I have a few tins of cabbies mixture. i had the opportunity to buy a bunch of Rattrays when I was In Israel a few years ago including Marlin and Hal OTW but only bought the Old Gowrie (which I have been struggling with a bit).

Went back to my bunker to complete my cellar inventory on the unopened tins: hansom flake (heard mixed things), Edward G Robinson, Maltese Falcon, Kramer's mixture for Carey Grant. quiet nights and gas light, Sansipolcro, Warped Red Hunt and Until the end, Fusiliers Ration, Three Nun's (Macbaren, black label) Macbaren HH dark fired, Capstan Blue, Peterson Nightcap and EMP, Peterson Connissuers Choice (don't even remember buying that), GH Whiskey Twist, and Nat Sherman 509 (an aero), and HU Fayyum Cake and Soraya.

Solani Silver on the list now as well.

I'll compile my final shopping list in a few days and post it (to purchase over time). No way I will ever smoke all this, but F-it. Why not.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.