PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Initial Impressions, not a "proper" review. And I'll mention while I am a new smoker I bring it up not as an excuse or insecurity. I think it's important to keep a contextual reference due to the body of experience with tobaccos and smoking methods that "time served" brings.
Appearance: I am a sucker for coin cut tobaccos. In appearance alone, if Escudo is thought to be the mature, handsome eldest sibling, LBF is the middle child that shows a few insecurities and awkward features, then Superior Round is youngest sibling that runs around oblivious to anything other then having a good time. (You know the one that goes streaking naked down the hallway at bath time) Looks young. Lots and LOTS of stems. Small baby "rustic" cut coins. Right out of the bag they smell pleasant, a little hayish, with something a little more pungent like raisins on the underside.
I prepared the first few bowls by just folding about 5-6 coins in an apple. I also tried to ball a few up and tried to create air pockets in a Dublin. While there are too many variables to proclaim anything 100%. I believe that folding and stuffing gives this tobacco a sharper Virginia taste and concentrates it. Next time I will cube it and see how that works out, but I enjoy the feeling/taste of folding and stuffing.
Smoking: Using a butane insert in my Zippo to light (Sin City Comic book graphic FTW) this tobacco burns FAST. I actually didn't need to tamp and relight, but I let it go out on it's own. On the charring light the Virginia's acted up and reminded me of the apples wide open draw. They don't want to be pushed. After a true light, the entire bowl glows a cherry red after one pass of the lighter. Next time I'll try matches.
First few draws are very bright and sharp with a citrus taste that reminds me of a diet Louisiana Red but without the Perique to give it a fullness. Virginia's feel "thin". After a bit what I'm assuming the Kentucky comes in with a plumish taste. More like an over ripe plum where the sugar is starting to break down. It's pleasant and gives the flavor a fuller profile. Adds some curves to it.
I realize at this point it doesn't taste "right", like it's missing something. My taste buds and their memory are expecting the peppery/stewy taste of Perique. It's not there. I miss it. I like feeling that black pepper taste in my mouth with Virginias. I remind myself I'm not smoking a VaPer and later bowls prove to be more enjoyable because I smoke them more like a straight Virginia. The taste comes through better in sips. I am greedy when it comes to VaPers and have to make myself slow down. (But seriously who wants to sip a Gumbo. I want a big ass spoon.)
The room note is pleasant enough to me. Smelling a little bit like the brown crusty bits on home made bread. As the bowl burns down, the plumish taste comes around to the front more, giving you more of an aromatic taste. It's not overly sweet and has a one dimensional taste for the remainder of the bowl. It's not complex, there are no hidden layers here, just a smooth sweetish flavor. I think that will be a sticking point for some people both yay and nay.
Finals: I do not dislike this. I think this could be an all day smoke, it burns well (almost too well sheesh), and doesn't take itself too serious. You don't need a rocking chair, an understanding of PH balance, tastebud zones, and some quiet time to enjoy it. I could easily smoke this as I do yard work. However it's not a straight Virginia and it's not a VaPer. It's unfair to expect it to be a match up to either. While the price was excellent I do not know if I would purchase it to keep in my "final four" jars that I like to keep full. I don't feel a need to keep this on hand. HOWEVER I would like to try and add a bit of Perique to this, maybe some age, and see what happens.
I'm riffing here but I think the problem I have with tobaccos that are "just okay" is that there are SO MANY good ones out there. For as infrequent as I smoke I'd rather just grab something I'm in love with that doesn't require any work on my part.
Newminster Superior Slices. Glad I tried you. We'll winter over together but go our separate ways this spring. I feel a little badly about that.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I picked up a pound of this stuff and although it is not full and rich like some of the Virginia's I smoke and not as delicious as my new love SG SJF(best VaPer I have ever smoked) it is not a bad smoke at all for me at $31 a pound. I can't wait to see what some aging does to this one. It could turn out to be a winner with a few years in a jar. Right now I would give it a strong 5+ to 6 out of 10. I will probably pick up another pound and throw it in a couple of larger quart jars for long term(5+ years) cellaring.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Very nice review!
I have smoked some of this a couple months back and had the same feelings about it. It actually seems to be a tamer McBaren VA #1 cut into little coins. I just couldn't smoke it slow enough to appreciate it, neither did it smoke slow on its' own.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Nice review. At $31 bucks a pound it might be worth picking up and waging for a bit. One question tho. Hows the nic hit?

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
The nic is mild for me but I'm weening myself off the sticks so that might skew it a bit. I find it about the same as LBF and LTF as far as nicotine.
It is a good looking tobacco and I like the way it is packaged. It comes in a nice thick factory sealed ziploc if purchased in 1lb increments.
1CA2EF67-0F36-4C9F-8846-1E71DCAC42E5-8939-000005DAD76DAE7F.jpg

02A92D00-2F72-4E8D-AFA9-DE84B26616E9-8939-000005DB113230C1.jpg

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Nice review. I have this on my list to get. Judging by the review it should be a good one for the cellar

---> Jim

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I've planned on getting some Escudo, LBF, and SRS on my next order so I can see for myself the delicious differences. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.