Impressed by Escudo... any suggestion for Perique?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Yesterday, I went to my local B&M and tried Escudo Navy Deluxe. Surely, it bited like Hell in the beginning, but as time went by, I started to feel so relaxed and the sweet taste of Virginia with a little bit of spice of Perique was magical. I did not get any tongue bite afterward. It burned very slowly and turned into a fine ash in the end.
Now, I'm really digging into Perique blend.
Any suggestion for Perique blend?
Btw, is IPSD 2012 Cerberus a Perique blend or Latakia blend?

Jul 12, 2011
I would try Davidoff's Flad meds, another VaPer but smoother IMO

I happen to love both Escudo and Davidoff Flake meds...would also

try some Rattray's Marlin Flake

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
How about G.L. Pease's (oh, wait...that's me) Fillmore? It's got about the same level of perique in it, surrounded by some really nice US grown virginias, pressed and sliced into flakes. It's deep, rich, slightly fruity, and if the 2007 tin that I've got open now is any indication, ages splendidly.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Curse you and your brilliant blends! :twisted:

I will concur that Fillmore is a splendid blend, but note that it contains a wisp of Latakia in it--I was shocked at first taste, but I quickly grew on me and makes absolutely perfect sense and balance in this blend, really setting it apart from your standard VaPer fare. If the Lat had been listed on the label, I probably would have waited to try this for a while as I worked my way through his catalogue. But I still consider it a dirty rotten trick not to list it on the contents! (No harm, no foul, Greg :wink: )

While we're on the topic, his Haddo's Delight is, well, absolutely delightful, and you can further explore the spectrum of VaPers with his Cumberland, Stratford, and my favorite, Triple Play.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I love VaPers! I have a few Jars of "Jewel of St. James - Perique" which is wonderful stuff.

It was really an impulse buy, but it has been fun adding it to differant tobaccos to see how it tastes. I've even used it to amp up a few, and enjoyed the result.
As far as the G.L. Pease blends, I am glad Greg chimed in. I have been trying to figure out which of his blends are VaPers, and then which ones to try.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I will second the Fillmore, also I like McClelland's St. James Woods. Of course I love Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd which has the slightest trace of Perique. It is my favorite Virginia by far, but not as spicy as Escudo.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
If you enjoy VA/Per blends, you really should try L.J. Peretti's Park Square. It's my all-time favorite and I've smoked a lot of that genre. Another great one is Hearth and Home's Anniversary Kake from Pipes and Cigars. I've heard good things about John Patton's Perique blends and if you REALLY want a big shot of Perique you can get some of C&D's Bayou Night. Reports are that it contains 50%(!!!) Perique. I've smoked it and it's not bad with some age on it.
Smokey

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Fillmore FTW. Perhaps the richest tasting Virginia/Perique blend I've tried, and I've tried a good number. A personal favorite of mine.
If you want a VaPer with a nice sour tang to it, Tudor Castle.

mikesgirl

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
Have you ever tried McClelland's Frog Morton On the Bayou? My husband loves it, along with all of the Frog series :)

Status
Not open for further replies.