PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PsychedPiper

Lurker
Jul 30, 2020
I'm new to the art of piping, and I had a bowl of C&D Black Frigate (crumble cake) today. I got little to no flavor from it though unfourtunately. Being a supposedly medium-medium/full flavored english blend, I thought I would be going to flavor town. The tobacco did seem like it was a bit moist and I let it sit out for about 5 minutes before packing. Does moisture have an effect on flavor?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm new to the art of piping, and I had a bowl of C&D Black Frigate (crumble cake) today. I got little to no flavor from it though unfourtunately. Being a supposedly medium-medium/full flavored english blend, I thought I would be going to flavor town. The tobacco did seem like it was a bit moist and I let it sit out for about 5 minutes before packing. Does moisture have an effect on flavor?

Drying the tobacco to where it doesn't spring back will sharpen the flavors.

PsychedPiper

Lurker
Jul 30, 2020
Black Frigate comes a bit on the damp side. It’ll give me tongue bite if I don’t dry it some. You should still be able to taste it though. It’s pretty “rummy.”

I was able to taste really just a plain, faint "tobacco" flavor, but nothing distinctly that I could put my finger on. It also was probably due to my packing technique in combination with the moisture being too high. I'll have another go at it tomorrow, thanks for the reply!

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I was able to taste really just a plain, faint "tobacco" flavor, but nothing distinctly that I could put my finger on. It also was probably due to my packing technique in combination with the moisture being too high. I'll have another go at it tomorrow, thanks for the reply!
I might be wrong, but it kind of sounds like you might be smoking too fast/hard/hot. If the tobacco gets too hot it tastes very bland, monotone, and burnt.

PsychedPiper

Lurker
Jul 30, 2020
I might be wrong, but it kind of sounds like you might be smoking too fast/hard/hot. If the tobacco gets too hot it tastes very bland, monotone, and burnt.

I usually don't smoke too fast, I had a bowl of H&H blackhouse before the C&D and it was very enjoyable and flavorful. Thinking back, I may have rubbed the C&D cake too much, hence packing it to tight, getting too hot, and smoking that bowl too quick to keep it somewhat going, and all that combined with moist tobacco probably killed the bowl lol. Damn there's so much to learn! I've never handled crumble kake before that bowl. I just did some research and people say, somewhat depending on the brand, cruble cakes can be rubbed out too much.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I usually don't smoke too fast, I had a bowl of H&H blackhouse before the C&D and it was very enjoyable and flavorful. Thinking back, I may have rubbed the C&D cake too much, hence packing it to tight, getting too hot, and smoking that bowl too quick to keep it somewhat going, and all that combined with moist tobacco probably killed the bowl lol. Damn there's so much to learn! I've never handled crumble kake before that bowl. I just did some research and people say, somewhat depending on the brand, cruble cakes can be rubbed out too much.
?‍♂️
Try rubbing some out and letting it dry overnight on a coffee filter. Gravity fill the pipe and give it a light tamp when filled. Should be good to go.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
My experience with crumble cakes is that they're a little finicky to get right, especially for a beginner. They're dense which means they need to be dried thoroughly, couple/few hours probably, and gravity filled while tapping the bowl rather than "packed".

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Part of the fun of pipe-smoking is the almost endless variation.

For example, I smoke most of my blends at the moisture level they are straight out of the tin. That means most of what I smoke is more on the moist side then these other guys.

It's all a matter of taste and preference, no wrong answer.

That also means that you have the ability to Tinker with any blend out there to get it to your liking weather that is drying it out or adding more moisture.

Virtually an endless ability to customize. ??

Reactions: Gecko

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Part of the fun of pipe-smoking is the almost endless variation.

For example, I smoke most of my blends at the moisture level they are straight out of the tin. That means most of what I smoke is more on the moist side then these other guys.

It's all a matter of taste and preference, no wrong answer.

That also means that you have the ability to Tinker with any blend out there to get it to your liking weather that is drying it out or adding more moisture.

Virtually an endless ability to customize. ??
It means @fightnhampster likes the taste of cardboard. ? ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke flakes and plugs all the time and I like some moisture in my tobacco. To my tastes too dry tobacco burns hot and has no flavor. I smoke slow, I don't let the tobacco get soggy, I don't puff like madman creating moisture. I smoke pipes that have open shanks that doesn't constrict the smoke. My pipes don't create turbulence which creates condensation which creates a wet smoke. My stems are not constricted which also leads to turbulence. My pipes have a nice hard cake which provides a cooler smoke. I can adjust my cadence on the fly if a pipe becomes a tad too moist. Technique is important when trying to get the most out of your pipe.
Many of my flakes I smoke right out of a fresh tin with no issues.

Reactions: Casual

PsychedPiper

Lurker
Jul 30, 2020
My experience with crumble cakes is that they're a little finicky to get right, especially for a beginner. They're dense which means they need to be dried thoroughly, couple/few hours probably, and gravity filled while tapping the bowl rather than "packed".
I just had a bowl of it. Dried it for a few hours until it was a little bit crisp, packed it pretty loose by gravity filling once and lightly tamping. There was much more flavor and was very enjoyable! I think I may have to rub it out even less though, it seemed just a tad too fine.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
How much to dry depends on the smoker's preference. Been playing around with dryness for awhile. It seems Va blends are more forgiving as to being over dried. Others, to me at least, need some moisture to give full flavor. And no matter what, spending some time in a mason jar gives mellower taste. i like most blends at right before turning crispy.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Moisture can impact flavor, but that may not be the reason why you didn't get any flavor?
I'm not a crispier, the better person. I like most blends with a little moisture in them.
Although, some blends demand more full drying, i.e. FVF.
I do dry most blends some, fresh out of the tin, on paper plates. Usually, overnight, with a paper towel over them in open air. I like to let the tobacco breath a little after having been in the tin, and then I jar it up.
I let it sit if it doesn't hit me as expected and move on to another that does.
Come back to it later. If you feel like it.