I'm Seriously Thinking About Taking Up Religion!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Just don't join the "Society for the Preservation of the Ten Commandments" in Africa. Back in the late '90s and early '00s their leadership ran a campaign of visiting various of their own congregations during worship services and setting fire to the church buildings after blocking the exits.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Various religious groups have adopted "mind-altering" substances as part of sacred ritual, and alcohol isn't new. To onlookers, it always looks like an excuse to get high. I admit to an aroused suspicion, but I won't judge.
A buddy of mine told me that he used to take acid trying to see God.

When he finally saw God, God told him to quit taking acid.

True story, and a common one. :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A buddy of mine told me that he used to take acid trying to see God.

When he finally saw God, God told him to quit taking acid.

True story, and a common one. :)
I remember something similar happening. I have to admit it was more like when you're watching a movie and you see the guy holding the boom in frame and less what people imagine which is more like a "hello this is God, let's rap about..."

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Some Voodoo rituals requires smoking cigars and drinking rum.
I also heard of a small church in Seattle back in the early 80s where everyone had to disrobe for the services because that was how God created man and woman. I think the police shut them down...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Various religious groups have adopted "mind-altering" substances as part of sacred ritual, and alcohol isn't new. To onlookers, it always looks like an excuse to get high. I admit to an aroused suspicion, but I won't judge.
If that stuff is the blood of Christ, he must have been wasted.

Reactions: kurtbob
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just don’t drink the cool-aid:ROFLMAO:

I've seen a couple of documentaries on The Jonestown massacre and they didn't actually drink Kool-Aid. It was some cheap knock off instead. I can't remember the name of it though. Poor old Kool-Aid got the blame☹. I wonder if it had any effect on their sales? They do say that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

R

Rattray

Religion does harbor weird individuals. Even fanatical ones. Just as with ideologists, ecologists and, especially over the last 4 years, liberals. Particularly these intolerant and more and more violent liberal loonies.

Reactions: renfield
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I've seen a couple of documentaries on The Jonestown massacre and they didn't actually drink Kool-Aid. It was some cheap knock off instead. I can't remember the name of it though. Poor old Kool-Aid got the blame☹. I wonder if it had any effect on their sales? They do say that there's no such thing as bad publicity.
Flavor-Aid. Grape. I haven’t seen it in years. It might not be made anymore.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those who remember old rotary phones will understand the admonition that you may speak to God, but your mother or dad is always on the party line. Or grandma or grandpa or your old high school coach -- whoever told it to you straight and didn't want excuses.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.