PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgvsquared

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
So I've narrowed down I don't particularly like Orlik Golden. I'm just not digging the grassy, citrusy notes. I'm sipping, so I don't think it's an issue where I'm not appreciating the Virginias. Orlik, Dunhill RR, Christmas Cheer. They're just slightly off putting to me. Not bad, just not what I want to puff away at
For comparison, I've really appreciated heavy burley blends, like Russ' Log Cabin from P&C. I got a lovely chocolate on the retro hale and that's something I really dug...getting those favors from a non aro.
Suggest me something!
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles.

Thank you Robert.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Solani Aged Burley Flake, Old Dark Fired, Wessex Burley Slice, G&H Dark Bird's Eye and their Kendall Kentucky, 4Noggins Moe's Confetti (an under rated blend), Chatham Manor, Match Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Watch City Deluxe Crumb and their Slices, and Classic Burley Kake immediately come to mind.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I've had the Solani ABF, the ODF, Match ERR, and the Classic Burley Kake. All good choices. I too prefer the Burleys. Any of these would be a good try. Another good one is Uhle's burley Blend 00. One of the best

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I thought Virgina's are for lovers? Oh well.
If you like burley you should be exploring C&D offerings. That's their wheelhouse, 5 O'Clock Shadow, OJK, Epiphany, and Morley's Best are some of my favorites.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Eventually, I'll be exploring more of the C&D offerings, but for right now, thanks Jim for mentioning Watch City. I was not aware of them and have promptly ordered a few ounces of some of their burley flakes/cakes

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Don't overlook the OTC's. Most people find at least one they enjoy, even if they don't often admit it on the forums.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
+1 aldecaker - try Prince Albert and Carter Hall. They caught me by surprise (in a good way)

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Burley is used in aros because it has very little flavor of its own, but absorbs like a sponge. So I suspect even so-called non-aromatic natural blends which are burley-based depend on some form of casing, or the other condimental tobaccos, for whatever flavor they have. Thus that would be what I would pay attention to in the ingredients/descriptions.

mgvsquared

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
Thanks for all the replies.
I'll probably research more of the C&D stuff for the price point and branch out from there.
I actually have some Castle Hall incoming that I bought for breaking in purposes. Excited to try it nonetheless.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Well. You need to try some more experienced VA blends. Three come to mind: Escudo Navy DeLuxe, GL Pease Embarcadero, and Rattray's Old Gowrie.

These are the older sisters of the VAs you've been dating up to this point. Maybe you'll go back to the younger VAs in time... but, turn the lights out and try something, related...
Old Gowrie, on TobaccoReviews.com, reviewed by a guy who has been there; gone that:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/959/rattray-old-gowrie#review3386
Also look into Capstan Flake (blue), Erinmore Flake (yellow), & Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro flake (allegedly an English, but really a VA) for the other grassy, zesty (jailbait) VAs.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Virginia's are the last type of tobacco most pipe smokers learn to appreciate. Just come back to them in time and see if your tastes have changed.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
You may like Lane Limited Ready Rubbed...Log Cabin is very good tobacco, reminds me of Anglers Dream without the cinnamon.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
My recommendations in the OTC world would be Prince Albert and Carter Hall. Both great, classic, OTC burley blends.
Also I personally enjoy Old Joe Krantz, Old Dark Fired, and Big N' Burley.
And as always I'll take this as yet another chance to recommend my favorite blend, Jackknife Plug. It's got Virginias, but they take a backseat to the Dark Fired Kentucky which is the real showstopper.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
I was initiated to VAs with Erinmore Flake, and wasn't in love then, not in love now. But I've learned that I can smoke them with less hassle than say, a Lat heavy blend even though I LOVE latakia, so go figure huh? :mrgreen:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Mgvsquared:
Have you ever tried an English smoke?
They generally have some Latakia in them and that Lat gives off a smoky, leathery, BBQ taste.
Some are fragrant with their toppings - like the Frog Morton & Esoterica series - others are particularly sweet and pungent with Oriental tobaccos and some - like the tins from Old Dan, Low Country and heftier Russ Oueltte treats from P&C will give you the gustatory & olfactory sensation of standing around a campfire.
Do know that all Latakia smokers are generally regarded as being handsome individuals, fleet of foot, quick witted, kind to those less fortunate and leaders of countries.
In short, we rule, bub.
Shoot me a PM and I'll send you some samples.
Fnord

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
shutterbug, I think there are genetic differences in tasting burley. Various plain burley blends, non-aromatic, have plenty of taste to me and others. The Belgium burley variants Tobac-Manil Semois leaf, for example. But individual responses vary wildly. Many like you find it absolutely flavorless in itself. Others find it overly repugnant. One Forums member reported throwing up; this was an experienced pipe smoker, not a newbie. More than that, though, various blenders, notably Cornell & Diehl, do excellent blends using the distinct flavor of burley to bring up flavors in other tobaccos, but burley is definitely in there and in harmony. It's a nutty, rich, earthy taste that can both highlight and anchor particular blends. If you can't taste it, you can't. No arguing that. But many of us can, and enjoy it very much.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Stokelbye's Luxury birds eye flake and or navy flake is awesome. Virginia, Burley, and some perique. When I want great flavor with out soap and not an arro that is what I go to with great sighs of happiness. If you never had it its definitely worth 4.00 bucks to try an ounce.
If you try it and don't like it ship it to me.... I'll smoke it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.