PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Just rinsed out one of my pipes with warm water method to clean out some of the cake. How long should I let it dry before smoking again :oops:?
In 40 years I have never flushed a pipe with water--not that it will hurt it to do it, just never have; which begs the question, is it really necessary to flush it with water? Since I've never done it, I guess it isn't really necessary. Just thinking out loud...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just rinsed out one of my pipes with warm water method to clean out some of the cake. How long should I let it dry before smoking again :oops:?
I won't use water on a pipe, but after you wipe the chamber with a paper towel and run a pipe cleaner through it you'll be good to go. Briar is very dense and doesn't readily absorb moisture. The idea of letting a pipe rest for days to dry after a smoke is a marketing ploy.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I tried the water flush for a couple of weeks and found a days rest to dry worked well. However, I’ve since returned to wiping the bowl out each smoke with a paper towel and cleaning stem and mortise with a pipe cleaner.

Reactions: kg.legat0

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I usually wait at least a day but that had nothing to do with water rinsing. I agree with Cosmic though, the pipe could be smoked immediately following the rinse.
As I said earlier, I don't rinse my pipes, but I'm sure its fine to do so as these guys state, but I do have one question about this thread and some of the answers to it out of sheer curiosity since I've never done it before; regarding resting after flushing, it makes perfect sense that briar is so dense it won't absorb water so resting isn't necessary, but what if you are one of the guys that likes a lot of cake in their pipe (I'm don't but some do), doesn't the resin absorb water? In other words, wouldn't the 'no need to let it rest' perspective be dependent upon how much cake is in the pipe or does using water flush that completely out too? Seems to me if the cake is wet, it could stay that way for quite a few hours afterward.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
As I said earlier, I don't rinse my pipes, but I'm sure its fine to do so as these guys state, but I do have one question about this thread and some of the answers to it out of sheer curiosity since I've never done it before; regarding resting after flushing, it makes perfect sense that briar is so dense it won't absorb water so resting isn't necessary, but what if you are one of the guys that likes a lot of cake in their pipe (I'm don't but some do), doesn't the resin absorb water? In other words, wouldn't the 'no need to let it rest' perspective be dependent upon how much cake is in the pipe or does using water flush that completely out too? Seems to me if the cake is wet, it could stay that way for quite a few hours afterward.
Guys who believe in cake, probably have a whole host of other stupid superstitions they believe in as well. And, their dumbasses they probably wouldn't rinse their pipes out to begin with.
I keep maybe a credit card's worth of cake in my pipes. Even with rinsing, I still get build up, so I still have to keep the cake reamed back. But, I haven't found the layer of hard tar to be anymore absorbent than any other oils or tar. It pretty much resists.

But, guys who think cake is a layer of ash, and they do the thumb over the bowl shake up, probably have a more absorbent cake. Those guys probably should avoid water in their pipes.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've found that a rested pipe seems to breathe easier, often.
The airway is the thing you want open, of course, but there seems to be a subtle enhancement after a period of at least a week's rest.
That being said, I hardly vary my pipe rotation and have to stop once in awhile and renew the selections I choose from, or at least some of them.
I guess I'm still lighting up a bowl about 8 or 12 x's a day, always outside the house, but I do have about 8 or 10 pipes in rotation at any given time with augmentation on occasion from my vast collection of inexpensively obtained estate pipes or some gifted ones.
:sher:

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Guys who believe in cake, probably have a whole host of other stupid superstitions they believe in as well. And, their dumbasses they probably wouldn't rinse their pipes out to begin with.
I keep maybe a credit card's worth of cake in my pipes. Even with rinsing, I still get build up, so I still have to keep the cake reamed back. But, I haven't found the layer of hard tar to be anymore absorbent than any other oils or tar. It pretty much resists.

But, guys who think cake is a layer of ash, and they do the thumb over the bowl shake up, probably have a more absorbent cake. Those guys probably should avoid water in their pipes.
Makes perfect sense, and I agree with your perspective on the dumbasses stupid superstitions about cake; I keep my pipes thoroughly reamed and like you, have probably less than a credit cards worth of buildup--tobacco tastes much nicer without burning all that resin as well.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I don't believe in anything more than a thin layer of cake. Even if I did, I doubt the cake would absorb much water while flushing with water.

Bottom line is, I've been water flushing my pipes almost after every smoke for around 2 years now. No downsides I've experienced but many positives. To each their own however.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I've taken to rinsing lately. I'm far too lazy to do it after every smoke, but during the weekend I will take the time to rinse out some of my pipes. If nothing else, it seems to keep the carbon tar cake whatever smoother and more even. And because I also buff them after, my pipes are prettier now.
I rest them for a day or two after the shower. It may not be necessary, but I don't need scientific reasons for everything I do.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
After cleaning out the dottle & wiping the bowl with a paper towel, I’ll swab the bowl with q-tip moistened with 91% alcohol. Occasionally I’ll do the same with a bristle pipe cleaner to the shank & stem draft hole.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Those guys should probably avoid smoking their pipes altogether, since a cake of that sort provides lousy protection compared to a hard carbon "cake".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It depends on the ambient humidity where you are. Have you ever noticed after heavy rain how in dry weather, the moisture will just get sucked away, even in deep shade or under car ports. But in soupy humidity, moisture will linger. So, in a dry region or a dry season, a day should do it. Otherwise, I'd give it a few days. I don't run water through briar pipes on any regular basis. Wiping the chamber with a dry towel will do the job and avoid the need to ream. However, cleaning up estate pipes, even meerschaums, running some water through them is a perfectly fine method. It horrifies some, but of course a water rinse is used in carving most pipes, though I think soaking might not be so good, in my opinion. I do soak the stems in dish detergent if they need sanitizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.