PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Brobs, did you send your Kiribati back? Kiribi is owned by Smoking Pipes (Laudisi Group) , they have great customer service. I’m sure if you have a defective lighter they would replace it.

I love my Kiribi Takara. Great lighter plenty of fuel storage and very reliable.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My Kiribi leaked from day 1 :(

and I didn’t even get to drop it like embers.

Brobs, did you send your Kiribati back? Kiribi is owned by Smoking Pipes (Laudisi Group) , they have great customer service. I’m sure if you have a defective lighter they would replace it.

I love my Kiribi Takara. Great lighter plenty of fuel storage and very reliable.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

I did send it back and apparently they were backlogged on repairs and after a while they said the solder was bad and they would refund or replace it. I chose the refund just because of the hassle of sending it back and waiting. I mean a warranty is fine, but if it needs repaired or replaced again and I have to wait a month and a half (by the time I send it in... wait for an answer.. and they send back) it’s not worth it to me. That’s three months without a lighter I paid over $80 for...

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have both a Tsubota Foxtail (which is who I believe make the Kiribi's) and a Sillem's Old Boy (which is just a regular Old Boy but with fancy knickers).
I didn't like the Foxtail because the screw that holds the snuffer cap arm keeps coming loose and it became annoying having to keep tightening it.

Foxtail:12946

Sillem's:

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Dropped it on a linoleum kitchen floor the day I bought it and it no longer holds fuel. Just too fragile for the cost. I keep it for photo window dressing now.
Gee, you can drop matches on the floor with no ill effects.:LOL: Seriously, I don't trust any lighter to continue to work well over the long haul. Had bad experiences with them years ago and gave up on them.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
A 50's Nimrod flip top. Made in Cincinnati Ohio.
0323238d7d1822263488bf1eed6633b4.jpg

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I've used an old boy for many years as my primary lighter. I've had 2 of them, but gave one to a friend because it's a nice kind of lighter to give away.

The latest one has seen jungles, mountain tops, rivers, oceans, lakes, deserts, dirty bars, and urban centres all without issue. It has been my go to lighter for everything, including pipe smoking, so it has seen some genuine hard use.

The previous one I had saw about the same abuse. Before giving it away, I sent it out to be overhauled and brought back to factory conditions. They replaced almost everything on the lighter (all seals, plus wheel, springs, etc.) and it cost me something in the range of $20.

Not sure about the comments about it being delicate. It has not been my experience, but perhaps I'm just lucky.

It's as solidly built as I could ask for and if you ever did have a problem, they're cheap to maintain. Absolutely recommend it.

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
PERHAPS Colibri, Pacific, Pipe Lighter is more durable, more robust with less moving parts.
I have one in use for more than a year. It is not perfect but it is an alternative to matches. And cheaperColobri.jpg

Reactions: diamondback
Status
Not open for further replies.