PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I just found a black and chrome IM Corona Old Boy lighter at a local Goodwill for $35. Not a steal if I have to pay $35 more to have it repaired, but a good deal if I don't. The issues are:
- It sparks OK, but can take 10 or more attempts to get it to actually light. When it does light, the flame is steady and even. The flint it came with is red. I've also tried replacing it with a Kiribi and also a Zippo flint with no discernible improvement. I tried stretching the spring a bit and also cleaning the striker wheel with a wire brush.
- When I fill it after bleeding it completely and with the flame adjuster set all the way to minimum, the gas blows back almost instantly. My Kiribi Kubota fills in just a couple seconds, but this is nutty fast. It feels wrong. The valve looks pretty standard and there's not room to fit any of the alternative valve adapters, so I'm guessing that the standard fill tube in the butane refills is the correct one to use.
Any ideas on why this would be so difficult to light? Any remedies you can suggest to try?

P

pipebuddy

Don;t know what the issue with it is. I do own a Kiribi as well and it's the best fricking one I ever owned so far!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
If you elect to purchase this lighter, then allow me to recommend ARS Sales & Service (ARS) in Hendersonville, NC as a possible source for repair. They overhauled an inoperative estate Dunhill Gemline lighter for me back in 2013, and I have been extremely pleased with the quality of their craftsmanship.
It's interesting that you found your Old Boy lighter at a Goodwill store; it would have never occurred to me to look there for such had I not read this thread.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Im Corona Flints are the only thing to use with an Old Boy lighter. They are superior to any flint I have used and that includes Dupont flints. Zippo flints are garbage, they are way too soft and pretty much useless.
I have owned an Old Boy briar lighter since around 1999. I have had to have it serviced twice in all these years. I don't actually know what they do to them as I just bring it to my tobacconist and he ships it out for me.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 w/chasingembers - Mine was doing that, it turned out to be a dirty flame port.
Speaking of IM Corono - I need to get parts for an Older Chrome/Black - The pin holding the delete cap fell out, lost the cap- anybody know who I can reach out to in order to get some parts for it?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Any idea what typical repair costs would be from ARS? I feel fairly certain of a complete refurbishment with factory parts for $35 from Arango, but if it's likely I can save with ARS, I'd send them my Beattie Jet too.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Start with a good cleaning with alcohol. Use a clean soft toothbrush pay particular attention to the striker wheel and fuel port then blow it dry with a can of compressed air. Also blow out the fill port area. Now replace the flint with a Corona flint. Fill with quality fuel.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have one of the IM Coronas with the pipe shapes. Dropped it once, and it quit working. I keep it just to look at now, and just buy a Bic lighter once a month for indoor use, and use a Zippo outdoors. Other than flint replacement and refueling, very little maintanence required. Even this decades old Nimrod still works like a charm.
img_20141203_105358-1.jpg

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Then the first thing I would try as mentioned above if flip it open and a bid act.. To the flame port to see if you are getting fuel. Since it eventually lights and runs study I'm betting the striker wheel is worn.

Jul 12, 2011
IMO Zippo flints don't cast much of a spark installed in an Old Boy ( they work fine installed in a Zippo ), on the other hand a Corona flint used in the Old Boy will cast enough spark to start a forest fire

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Both the Dunhill Red and Kiribi flints are alleged to be softer and sparkler than Zappos. I’ve tried both, but I’ll definitely give the Corona flints a shot. Good excuse for a tobacco order!
I have a very nice Nimrod, too, but it evaporates fuel unbelievably fast. How long does yours last Chasingembers?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How long does yours last Chasingembers?
2-3 days depending on how much I use it. Less so when I just decide to have fun lighting it. Was lucky, and got that one unused a few years ago for $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.