PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meloski

Lurker
Jul 5, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

When I close my IM Corona Old Boy lighter the spring plate within the cap will not depress the stem enough to extinguish the flame. Also when the flame is extinguished the cap will not seal the stem so all the fuel will leak out. Is this a common problem? Is it a easy repair?

Last edited by a moderator:

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I have the same issue with one of mine. After 20 years of use my lighter is in rough shape. Thanks for posting this.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Oil the hinge. I use a drop of mineral oil and I open and close it repeatedly. You will see black stuff wash out in the oil. The action will improve.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Meloski

Lurker
Jul 5, 2020
I don’t believe it is a hinge issue. The stem where the flame comes from will not fully depress into the lighter and seal closed

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Could anybody recommend a repair shop? I think this my be my best option.
I don't think they are doing it in house any more but Contact Cory at Arango. They will probably overhaul it for $35.00. ?
big_IM-CORONA-REPAIR-FORM-WEBSITE.jpg

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I just bought one. Wow -- you know when you buy something and it exceeds expectations? That's how i feel. I had a Xikar pipe lighter that is basically an old boy knockoff. What a piece of crap. Never lit reliably no matter what I did (and yeah I bled it, changed flints, lowered the flame level when filling, cleaned the nozzle, etc). Luckily, when I sent it back to Xikar for repair UPS lost it, so i got a full refund essentially from the UPS claim.

Bought an old boy instead. The quality difference is immediately apparent. It weighs twice as much, is sold, well machined, and lights reliably every time.

Buy once cry once is good advice. It was twice as much as the Xikar, but the extra $50 is well worth it.

BigIrish1

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
I had an issue with an Old Boy leaking fuel this year after owning it since 2006. Quick aside...purchased from McCranie’s in Charlotte,NC from my good friend Tom Kudo who is an excellent pipe and cigar resource. Sent it to the Corona repair (same repair form as above) and got it back in a few weeks. Excellent service. Great $35 investment to keep my favorite pipe lighter.

Reactions: Tennessee Dave

Blackbeard_

Lurker
Jul 31, 2020
Aus
I just bought one. Wow -- you know when you buy something and it exceeds expectations? That's how i feel. I had a Xikar pipe lighter that is basically an old boy knockoff. What a piece of crap. Never lit reliably no matter what I did (and yeah I bled it, changed flints, lowered the flame level when filling, cleaned the nozzle, etc). Luckily, when I sent it back to Xikar for repair UPS lost it, so i got a full refund essentially from the UPS claim.

Bought an old boy instead. The quality difference is immediately apparent. It weighs twice as much, is sold, well machined, and lights reliably every time.

Buy once cry once is good advice. It was twice as much as the Xikar, but the extra $50 is well worth it.

Yeah I had nothing but problems with my xikar pipeline. The gas nozzle would turn and I’d have to use tweezers to turn it back. I’d wear out my thumb trying to get it to light haha. Such a hassle when you just wanna relax and enjoy a pipe

Reactions: Tennessee Dave
Status
Not open for further replies.