PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
preamble: Moderators, please move if this isnt the right area for this.
So here's the thing. I have always been on the lower end of the income spectrum, so I have always had a DIY mentality. Once upon a time (read 3 and a half decades ago plus a year) I was handy in a wood shop. BUT in my adult life I've never had access to more than a scroll saw, (not anymore) a dremel, a drill a skill saw, and a hammer and nails. I've some nice carving chisels for a muzzle-loading rifle project I hope to someday afford as well.
How hard would it be with hand tools and sanding blocks to turn a pipe kit from a pre-drilled block of briar into a reasonably decent smoking (and looking) pipe? I've seen the block kits online for as little as $22, plus shipping and I assume import tax. Also, is there a US based supplier of wood pipe kits I could use?
I'm also going to ask about this at the pipe store I like next time I make a pilgrimage over for bacy.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Might pick up a harbor freight file set as well to aid in shaping. I'm definitely talking myself into this idea.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I say go for it. You can also get those predrilled blocks made out of pear as well. That would be alot easier to work with hand tools than brair. Also a good rasp would be handy.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Tell y'all what; I'll do it. When I do, which I hope to be around the end of the year; I'll post progress picks. The good, bad and ugly of how well or poorly I do it. (Of course its a selfish reason. I want tips and critiques so I can do my second pipe better)

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
LOL! Michael! I was going to get a $9 MM but my wife wouldn't have any of that. She wont let me have a cob, so I had to go for the real thing and get a briar. (at least I think its briar; I didn't ask when I bought it at the pipe store.)
All good, it just means I get to have more spendy pipes. If she asks why I need another one I tell her "it's like my guns; I don't need another one. However one can never have too many, and I want another one!

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
img_0020-600x450.jpg

I made mine from a predrilled block given me by my son.

I only had filles and wood rasps and sandpaper.

Not even a vice

I did have a dremmil type electric tool to finish the task, nearly forgot.

Not bad

It smokes great.

Don’t use a Stanley knife I nearly cut my finger off, and my briar was just to tough.

mmmpeace

Lurker
Apr 1, 2017
I make my own pipes (well I try at least), I would definitely YouTube pipe making videos, many are people who don’t have all of the expensive lathes and what not that the pros use. Just be patient and enjoy it, that’s what wood working is about! I would also suggest PIMOS guide, it’s a little book which has instructions on pipe making and also shows the various shapes and finishes you can do. It’s very meditative to make your own pipe, and lighting that sucker up after you made it, nothing like it. Enjoy and post pics!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
You can get decent estate pipes on eBay for probably less then those pre-drilled briar blocks. I've got a couple knockaround briars that cost me less than $10 a piece, and they are both in good shape and smoke well. If you wanna try your hand a making a pipe, then go for it, but if you want the least expensive practical solution, inexpensive eBay estate pipes is the way to go.

Reactions: jzbdano

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Simple answer to your either or Lawdog: Yes.

I NEED it to be inexpensive, so estate pipes may be the answer though I have reservations about anything used. However, the DIY in me really does want to try and cost is as good an excuse as any right?
Eventually I'll probably have both. When I order the block, it will be a LONG term project, heck might take a year to finish or more.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I agree with lawdawg, if your only doing it to save money then look at estates on ebay. A few months ago I got a 6 pipe lot that had 4 Dr. Grawbows, a cao meerschaum and an unsmoked face carved briar from Italy for 25 dollars. And as far as your concern for using estate pipe it's no diffrent than using the silverware at restaurant, just need to sanitize it before hand. But if your wanting to do it has a fun project/hobby then like I said before, go for it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Not to discourage you from your project (heck, I've been wanting to do it too), but if you're in the US and price is an issue, a block of briar with a stem and a hole drilled is not much far away from a Dr Grabow. You have to factor in the cost of the unshaped block PLUS the materials and tools and finishing products. It might just end up being more expensive than a Grabow.
I won't advise you to go the estate route, because I believe in only recommending what I would personally buy. I don't like used pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure if you want just a pipe to smoke or the challenge of making one, and of course, you can do both. Get a few inexpensive pipes for a rotation; you don't have to buy them all at once, just as you can. Then make a decision about wanting to spend the time and labor on making a pipe. About a year ago, a member posted a photo of a handsome pipe he'd carved without power tools, just a carving blade or knife (I can't remember which) and some files. Pear wood would make this easier. I buy the MM cobs offered with acrylic stems because I chew through the stock stems. These are about $24 and shipping. Stock stem pipes are much less, around six or eight bucks, and you can buy acrylic stems later from Forever stems if you want. Used pipes can be rigorously sanitized and restored so they look new, as members have demonstrated. Don't feel the least put out by a budget; you can enjoy all the pleasures of piping on a shoe string, learn a lot along the way, and have as good a smoke as anyone. Happy talk, yes, but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.