PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I don't think it's popular, but I really love Robert McConnell Oriental. Its tin note is strong on latakia, but when you smoke it you realize how the latakia and other leaves are really in harmony.

Aug 1, 2012
Charles Fairmorn Sterling Balkan is very nice. I have some McClelland Syrian Full Balkan coming and I can let you know how it is if you'd like.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Balkan Sasieni is a very good mildish representation of the style. If you like it you can branch off into other variations. If you don't like it, I guess you don't care for oriental leaf.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I've tried dozens of heavy English/Balkan blends, Blackhouse is simply the best one. Just trying to save others the cash for all those tins of OK Balkans, just skip right to the best.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 on Sasieni and Fairmorn Sterling Balkan
Tasty but somewhat pricey and spotty availability at times : SG Balkan Flake
Then there's Frog Morton on the Town, Stokkebye English Luxury, Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme, Stokkebye Proper English ..... that is, if we define Balkan as " VA, Orientals and Latakia" ; hopefully that discussion won't be resurrected :puffy:

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
+1 for not resurrecting the "what is a Balkan" discussion. If the blender describes it as Balkan that's good enough for this guy.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Any of GL Pease's balkans. Odyssey, Abingdon, Charing Cross, Blackpoint, Caravan, etc. They're all top-notch.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
downward-arrow.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
Black house

NYPC Hell's Kitchen

SPC Plum Pudding

SG's Balkan Flake

MC Blue Mountain

MC Bombay Extra
Just a few greats there....

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Maybe Blackhouse? I'm not well versed in Balkans, but I suspect it may be a solid choice.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
But i love frogs
The Frogs are not Balkans. They are light English blends.
I second the suggestion of SG Balkan Flake. I personally like McClelland Blue Mountain better than Blackhouse.

Hearth & Home Larry's Blend is a fine Balkan, as is Altadis Balkan II.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I wouldn't call SG's Balkan Flake a "Balkan" at all, as it contains no orientals whatsoever (latakia and Va only). And FMOTP describes itself as a Balkan, believe it or not!

A lot of our recommendations will come down to how we define a Balkan, I imagine, or how much stock we put in the label descriptions (I'm not an exception to this :)).
I do agree that Larry's Blend is a very good one to start with. It's an excellent example of what I call a "Balkan," which is a VA-latakia mixture with a very generous (some would say predominant) emphasis on orientals like Drama, Basma, etc.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I wouldn't call SG's Balkan Flake a "Balkan" at all, as it contains no orientals whatsoever (latakia and Va only). And FMOTP describes itself as a Balkan, believe it or not!
So whose definition of a Balkan are we using? Are they Balkans if the blender says they are? If so, then both Balkan Flake and the Frog mentioned are both Balkans. :nana:
If we exclude BF because it doesn't have orientals, then I'll stick with my previous recommendations of Altadis Balkan II, H&H Larry's Blend, and McClelland Blue Mountain. (Black House is good, too, but everyone is already raving about that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.