I'm Considering a Bloodhound and Might Need a Name....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Title edited for caps.

Bloodhounds are known as St Hubert's hounds, so if I get a bitch, the feminine version of Hubert would be a good fit, but, what is the feminine of Hubert?
internet searches lead me nowhere.
Any ideas? Hubertweena maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
LYBbUOl.jpg

Here's my bloodhound. Her name is Georgia.

Be prepared. If you've never owned a bloodhound, they are NOT calm, sleepy hound dogs happy to curl up in front of the fire. They are not suited to life in a tiny apartment or a place where they can't get some exercise.

They are rambunctious idiots, full of slobber and they have no conception that they weigh 80-100 lbs. They will eat anything, they will tackle Grandma just for the chance to lick her face, they will do anything imaginable to get food. Everyone will stop to pet your bloodhound. They love to snuggle and drip drool all over everything you own. They will lick the skin off of your face. They are strong as oxen, and smell almost as bad. Their ears are always wet and slimey.

I love Georgia, but be aware what you're getting into! She's the sweetest, kindest and most loving (and loveable) dog I've ever owned, but she's a handful.xH22P4A.jpeg

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kate
Cynthia
Jane
Trixie
Alberta
Juniper
Queen
Abigail /Abby
Dolly
Megan
Herbi-Ann
Martha
Rita
Babs
Nina
Sheila
Fran
Dina
Collett
Zelda
Lark
Twila
Chanel
Gal
Boutique
Mina
Luna
Betty
Cara
Ella
Tabitha
Bell
Let me know if you need more. It's a mania with me.

Reactions: Hovannes

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The feminine of Hubert might well be "Huberte", but only in French would that make sense, due to the silent t in the masculine form (Hubert), and it being pronounced in the feminine form (Huberte).
But if you pronounced it in the French manner, "Ooo-beart" you might have something true to the original concept and gender.
Please post photo and name decision!

Mar 1, 2014
I named my cat "Animal" (loosely referencing the Muppets) so if it were my dog I'd probably just call it "Bitch", but that's only if I were going to be the only person ever to interact with it (as is largely the case with my cat).

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Ours (Ellie) just passed away in September after 11 years (pretty old for a bloodhound). They are the sweetest dogs on the planet (having owned many breeds) and are a ton of fun and absolutely adorable.

However, be prepared for cleaning off your windows, tv screens, clothes, face, furniture, etc of slobber regularly, extremely messy eating areas, rampant skin/ear/eye infections, the consumption of everything that smells even remotely like organic material to include blankets, shirts, socks, underwear, rugs, etc.

And when that nose turns on, the ears turn off, and they can disappear for long stretches refusing to come to a call. And unless bathed at least once a week they get very oily and stinky. A unique kind of stink that will be absorbed by wherever they lay.

They more than make up for it in love and sweetness though. The most gentle, kindhearted, fun loving dogs out there.

3285CB87-CA39-41D1-AAD6-6C3753EC6682.jpegF290B3B6-7196-4289-B293-75169FB65A3C.jpeg

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They are rambunctious idiots, full of slobber and they have no conception that they weigh 80-100 lbs. They will eat anything, they will tackle Grandma just for the chance to lick her face, they will do anything imaginable to get food. Everyone will stop to pet your bloodhound. They love to snuggle and drip drool all over everything you own. They will lick the skin off of your face. They are strong as oxen, and smell almost as bad. Their ears are always wet and slimey.
You just described every type of hound dog, this big goof included. Don't forget incessant chewing!

1649575455238416801556281446160.jpg16495755384203650975485951728181.jpg
20220307_200657.jpg

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
The feminine of Hubert might well be "Huberte", but only in French would that make sense, due to the silent t in the masculine form (Hubert), and it being pronounced in the feminine form (Huberte).
But if you pronounced it in the French manner, "Ooo-beart" you might have something true to the original concept and gender.
Please post photo and name decision!
Thanks!